Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Filter Test Results

found this item interesting saying the Baldwin fuel filters are now better than Cat:

http://www.baldwinfilter.com/engineer/98_2.html

[img]smile.gif[/img]
    2003 SLT Duramax CC/SB Carbon Metalic, Juice\'d, JK Light harness, HD sprayed box liner, J&J Millennium running boards, Fumoto valve, Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller, TFP Stainless door handle inserts, Michelin LT265/75R/16, combination Tool Box & Fuel tank(165L) with timed transfer flow, 2 Micron CAT Primery fuel filter, dndstarr@shaw.ca<p>PIC\"S <a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/hx30/lst?.dir=/duramax\" target=\"_blank\">http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/hx30/lst?.dir=/duramax</a>

Well it is almost midnight and I have re-read this entire
    string....... whew!

I had over-looked Todd's picture of his set up.............
    http://www.oldmacksrus.com/Diesel%20...ts/filter2.jpg
    It looks like a reasonable solution.

Todd, any more results since you last reported on 01-23-2003?

The Stanadyne filter is a very good quality unit. The Racor is as well. I have duplicated Todd's installation with minor differences. Todd has forwarded me the test results and I intended (still do) to get our lab to give me some comments and ideas but I have been traveling and not given this any attention. If we can add anything to the interpretation he already has I am sure he will share it.

I installed my 2-mic unit at about 5k miles and replaced the oem at the same time. When I open it I will report the findings. After 5k more miles I will open the oem filter again.

I know this isn't very scientific but I am only trying to accomplish a quality prefiltering of the fuel and I think Todd is on the right track with this.

E-mail me if you would like to see pics of the installation.
    2008 GMC Sierra SLE 2500 HD
    Z71 4x4 Extended cab long bed
    265/70/17 oem aluminum wheels
    6.0 gasser with 6L90 tranny

2007 Harley Davidson FXSTC
    Softtail Custom
    Too many mods to list

2005 Contender 25 Open
    Yamaha 200 HPDI's

Inspector Guest

The Baldwin article is dated Feb 17th 1998
    Do they make a filter that will be small enough yet filter to 2 mics that we can use on the Dmax?
    The fuel filters that I have seen on the Cat aps are huge.
    Denny

jbplock Guest

Cool

For the people who are trying to put a fuel filter downstream of your oem filter try looking under your Air Filter for room.

I have a 2001 D/A and I had enough room to mount a Racor 490 Series System under my Air Filter Assembly. The filter pushed out on on the plastic inner-fender a bit but I don't have large tires that rub. I also had to modify the bracket that holds one of the horns in place.

Now when I replace the filter (hopefully long intervals) I take out my right headlight and prime the filter.

Hope this helps somebody.
    2001 Chevy EC D/A 4X4 SWB Red!<br />1983 Toyota Pickup 4X4

Thumbs up

John,
    The fuel filter and results look good. I'm sure a lot of thought went into the mounting location, hardware, media type and what not. I will definitely be at the front of the line when its available. Hopefully still in Feb. Looks to me like you completed all the homework. Sure saves me the time and headaches.
    2002 2500HD CC D/A <br />Post Mega filt., Lighted TTT mirrors, K&N Air Filt, Bilstein <br />B&W Gooseneck/5th, Oil guard, <br />Tekonsha Prodigy, Lift Pump, Line-x<br />Air Lift Bags & Load Controller II <br />Pics. <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/abear130\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/abear130</a>

YZF1R Guest

John, where does the line start? [img]smile.gif[/img] This is a "must have" for me. Thanks for all the hard work you do for us, along with many others here!

Steve

Dear George and John,

I can't bear to re-read this string again. I'm excited that
    John is almost to production... but could both/either of you
    tell us (again) or summarize why you believe "post" filtering from our
    original equipment is better than "pre" filtering as Todd
    and Trace have done.

John, you wrote " Economics will not be a major factor here"
    To a non mechanic, it would seem that a "pre" filter
    with a 2 micron filter and a cost of $12 to replace would be more
    economical than replacing a $35 "post" filter even if you have
    a one year life span on it. I'm not trying to be critical..... just
    looking for the best way to treat my truck.

Thanks much [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-06-2003: Message edited by: 56Nomad ]</p>
    02 Chevy 3500HD, D/A, 4x4, Lucerix Mirrors, Fumoto valve, Amsoil air filter, <br />Kaydenco mudflaps, Hadley Air Horns, Lund Hood Protector, Prodigy,<br />2 micron Racor Post OEM fuel filter install photos:<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/66562661oghYok\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/album/66562661oghYok</a>

Kennedy Guest

I wanted it AFTER the factory unit so we would still service the factory unit, and the factory water in fuel light would see the water first. By installing as a secondary unit, we are only cutting hose which can be easily reversed.

While not necessary, I will be replacing the short section of hose from the Bosch EDU to the filter unit, and routing the outlet down to my secondary unit. This way all of the substantial lengths of the OE spongy hose will be replaced. I'm not sure if we can get away w/o rotating the factory outlet nipple, but I rotated mine.

I've been told that the filter unit I am using is actually a fraction of a percentage point more efficient than the other units mentioned above.

General production of the mounting kits will likely be done by a DP Member! The finished units will be anodized and likely electro polished to remove any microscopic surface "fuzz" which was not done to my prototype. Hopes are that the sample results from the first prototypes will back up my results!

BTW, we are still at least a couple of weeks away from any production as I am still working out a few details.

John,

you wrote: "I wanted it AFTER the factory unit so we
    would still service the factory unit, and the factory
    water in fuel light would see the water first. By installing
    as a secondary unit, we are only cutting hose which
    can be easily reversed."

Lets assume that we deal with the water issues with
    quality fuel additives. As a secondary unit, the "pre-filter"
    installation can also be easily reversed. Perhaps, I am
    viewing this too simplistically, but basic question is....

Can a "pre-filter" work as effectively as a "post-filter"?
    This would be in respect to filtration as well as required flow pressure
    issues.
    02 Chevy 3500HD, D/A, 4x4, Lucerix Mirrors, Fumoto valve, Amsoil air filter, <br />Kaydenco mudflaps, Hadley Air Horns, Lund Hood Protector, Prodigy,<br />2 micron Racor Post OEM fuel filter install photos:<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/66562661oghYok\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/album/66562661oghYok</a>

Kennedy Guest

I guess a pre filter could, but if a big slug of water hits my filter you will not know it. I'd prefer to let the OE filter sort out the "sticks and stones" and maintain it at the recommended intervals to keep GM's shorts out of a bunch, but if you'd rather plumb it this way, go for it!

I would have some fuel sample results for ya'll by now if UPS had not have lost them. I am going to try and take some more samples tommorrow. It takes about a week to get them into the lab. Unless the results show otherwise, I am still happy with my installation of the Stanadyne FM-100 "2 micron pre-filter".

Funy thing happened though. I took my truck in to get the balence rate checked on my injectors and the tech II, just said THANKS.
    Todd Eldridge<br />2002 2500HD Crew 4x4 zf 6sp<br />Stanadyne FM-100 additional fuel filter<br />Flo-Pro Muffler<br />Summit White <br />Fender flares painted to match<br />GMC side molding<br />SS Nerf Bars<br />e-mail todd.eldridge@cnet.navy.mil

RWTD er um Srubrn,sorry.....

J/K couldn't help myself.....

Waiting patiently for your results......We do appreciate the leg work....

MAC

mackin- I always get a grin out of your posts. Sure wish I knew what code you speak sometimes though.

Comments on the past dozen or so posts- I can easily check for water in the see-thru bowl of my filter be leaning over and looking from the passenger side and it's a lot easier to drain than the oem. If a big slug of water were to get by it which is very unlikely, the oem water sensor will still say so.

Close inspection of the fuel line I cut shows that it has a flex hose on both ends and could easily be replaced at any time.

My goal was to have a quality in-line prefilter to keep me from dealing with the oem unit as often. For about $130 including hoses I believe this goal was accomplished.

The only other modification I will make and recommend to anyone taking this route will be to make a mini guard if you go off road. I am thinking a pipe hoop with two flat tabs I can bolt through the bottom of the frame rails.

By the way- the pics I saw of JK's assembly are way cool and there is no reason why it couldn't be pre-oem if you can find room for it under the truck. I considered putting mine in front of the fuel tank where there is more space but the Stanadyne unit is small enough I was OK with it on the frame rail and I didn't have to spend any time designing a mounting bracket.

Softtail Custom
    Too many mods to list

2005 Contender 25 Open
    Yamaha 200 HPDI's

I am going to get a bit esoteric here but another reason I like John Kennedy's setup is that John's post filter serves as a wonderful dampener for the harmonics that back-feed through the fuel from the injector/pump firings. These vibrations act like an ultra-sonic cleaner for the fuel filter/water separator. CAT experienced this when they changed from a 20 micron to a 7 micron absolute fuel filter to capture the 7 micron particle size. The 7 micron filter did not capture a significant amount due to the backfeed harmonics. Thus CAT had to switch to a 2 micron absolute (beta 200) to achieve a 7 micron beta 200 level cleaning. So, we should have some synergism here with John Kennedy's setup. By dampening the injector backfeed at the first filter, our OEM filter/water separator performance should be enhanced appreciably as it is going to have almost lab conditions to work in and not ultra sound cleaned constantly. At minimum, the OEM ultra sound should be minimized.. This will also enhance the water separation capability as the firing frequency serves to maintian water in loose solution.. Plus, my mentor always said "send a man to do a boy's job" and John is doing just that with his filter arrangement..
    George Morrison, STLE CLS
    George Morrison, STLE CLS<br />www.avlube.com e-mail avlube@netwalk.com<br />2002 Chev Duramax 2500HD, Delvac 1, Mobil 1 syn ATF, 75W-90<br />1998 Chev 3500HD 6.5TD, Delvac 1, Harvard 750S by-pass oil filter

Called the top banana diesel service mechanic for Stanadyne
    in our area who installs and services filter systems
    into many of the agricultural rigs. I was just about to put this
    together................

Yikes! He says that they will *not* install a 2 micron primary filter
    because of quick clogging of that filter and the resultant problems.
    They have tried this before and he speaks with experience.
    If I still planned to do the "pre-filtering" installation, he recommends
    going with a 30 micron primary filter.

With the Duramax engine, he strongly suggests that any supplemental
    fuel filtering be done as a secondary filter *after* the factory unit.
    He also feels that with proper fuel lubrication, our factory filter set up
    is fine.

OK, this reminds me of having a life threatening disease and then
    consulting with 10 eminent medical experts. When you finished
    asking all the questions........ you've got 10 different opinions

That's what is so great about this forum........ we keep learning.

"OK, this reminds me of having a life threatening disease and then consulting with 10 eminent medical experts. When you finished asking all the questions........ you've got 10 different opinions."

Well, in this case, not quite. Here we have 2 experts (JK & GM) and a bunch of enthusiastic amateurs.
    2001 2500HD D/A CC/SB 4x4<br />A.R.E. Z-series topper, CA 75-series boards, Bedrug, Fumoto valve, Amsoil air filter, Jan \'02 PCM updates,Transfer Flow 50 gal. crossbed aux. fuel tank, Bilstein shocks, 25 ft. Tahoe Transport toybox (9.6K loaded), Hensley hitch, Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller.

We won't debate expert here but my filter has almost 700 miles on it and there is only a BB size drop of water in it. Time will tell on this. At least we have a bunch of different schools of thought testing ideas.

BTW- the Stanadyne tech I spoke to recommended my set up, I didn't actually take Todd's word for it although after speaking with him several times I think he is completely credible.

The reason I was asking for recommendations was to see if there was a better application for my purpose. The 2-mic was what was recommended for what I wanted to acheive and the tech seemed confidant the filter would go 6-7k miles which is the interval I intend to change it, along with the cc oil.

Also, the part numbers I got from Todd via e-mail aren't the parts I bought. My head had a different part number. Maybe something to do with the inlet/outlet size.

Sounds like the Stanadyne guys may not all be on the same sheet of music !?!

Final comment- if it clogs quick it must be filtering well!

Softtail Custom
    Too many mods to list

2005 Contender 25 Open
    Yamaha 200 HPDI's

While I might be a amateur I go by a old saying ,
    "When you don't know something, surround yourself with people who do". Do you think Bill Gates is a expert programmer, no he has people do it for him.

As far as the 2 micron filter stopping up, that is installed pre-OEM. Mine is running fine, this filter has about 1200 miles on it so far. This no opinion, it is fact.

I have been looking for a good and inexpensive solution to our fuel filter problem. I have been working hard on getting good data. I assure any of you that anything that I put out about this subject is backed by scientific fact not just what I think. If the test results show that the Stanadyne won't do what it is supposed to do then I will be the first to admit it and then I will take it off my truck and find another.

Remember, I have nothing to gain with this. I am not sell ang anything, just giving free info. You can take it or leave.

Off my soap box now.
    Todd Eldridge<br />2002 2500HD Crew 4x4 zf 6sp<br />Stanadyne FM-100 additional fuel filter<br />Flo-Pro Muffler<br />Summit White <br />Fender flares painted to match<br />GMC side molding<br />SS Nerf Bars<br />e-mail todd.eldridge@cnet.navy.mil