Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Filter Test Results

Red face

Does anyone know if a CAT fuel filter setup could get "morphed" into a Duramax application?

Once we really know what we have OEM-wise we will then be able to pursue possibilities. I think more 'before & after' fuel analysis results are needed prior to proceeding with alternative fuel filters. We should have more fuel analysis results this week. It is nice to know that there are reasonably priced 98% efficient fuel filters available, however, if fuel analysis results continue to report that the OEM fuel filter is no more than 65% efficient.
    George Morrison, STLE CLS
    George Morrison, STLE CLS<br />www.avlube.com e-mail avlube@netwalk.com<br />2002 Chev Duramax 2500HD, Delvac 1, Mobil 1 syn ATF, 75W-90<br />1998 Chev 3500HD 6.5TD, Delvac 1, Harvard 750S by-pass oil filter

jbplock Guest

George is right, we need more data…. I also sent some questions to Baldwin and its interesting to compare the following with the reply Todd Eldridge received from the same Baldwin rep.

I emailed Baldwin about their fuel filter on 10/14/02. Here are their responses

"Thank you for contacting me again. The BF7727 is a 2-micron filter. Meaning that its nominal efficiency is at 2 micron. Thanks, (nominal implies 50% efficiency)

TRAVIS R. WINBERG
    Service Engineer"

To which I replied,

“I'm skeptical about RACOR's claims (i.e. that their Duramax OEM fuel filter
    is 2 micron absolute). I'm not an expert but it doesn't sound possible
    for a filter that size to be rated at 2 micron absolute. Can you comment on
    that?”

This is their second reply,

“Your are correct. SAE test procedures cannot test to two micron absolute. The BF7727 is two micron nominal.

Thanks,
    TRAVIS R. WINBERG
    Service Engineer”

The fellows over at the TDI site did 'before and after' fuel filter tests for both the CAT and the Baldwin equivalent of the CAT filter and both were 2 micron 98% efficient or Beta 200 in the filter vernacular or what was referred to as 'absolute'. (nominal and absolute are not real terms in today's filter technology: filters are classifed by their multi-pass performance and then a ratio is calculated predicated on the 'before & after' throughput.) Since our filter only gets one throughput, that procedure does not directly apply. However, our real world tests do! As with the CAT TDI tests, if we get a filter removing 98% of the 5 to 10 micron single pass, we will have a solution to the dirty fuel problem...
    George Morrison, STLE CLS<br />www.avlube.com e-mail avlube@netwalk.com<br />2002 Chev Duramax 2500HD, Delvac 1, Mobil 1 syn ATF, 75W-90<br />1998 Chev 3500HD 6.5TD, Delvac 1, Harvard 750S by-pass oil filter

MaxACL Guest

George,

I put a lot of miles on my DuraMax weekly. If I can help with your mileage test... let me know.

Mike

Made contact with a Stanadyne Dealer in New Orleans and he told me that no body made a completely synthetic filter. He said that Racor's "S" is a synthetic blend. He sold Racor and Stanadyne. Liked both. As far as the cost is concerned you can buy a Stanadyne Filter head, element, primer and glass bowl for abouot $90 Replacement filters are $14.36. If you don't want the primer or filter bowl then the whole thing cost about $42. The element is a 2 micron filter and it is a 99% efficiency. Sounds too good to be true!! He also suggested staying away from Baldwin, Wix and NAPA brands.
    Todd Eldridge<br />2002 2500HD Crew 4x4 zf 6sp<br />Stanadyne FM-100 additional fuel filter<br />Flo-Pro Muffler<br />Summit White <br />Fender flares painted to match<br />GMC side molding<br />SS Nerf Bars<br />e-mail todd.eldridge@cnet.navy.mil

You found a pretty knowledgeable source for fuel filters and he is correct, at this time, the ultra-fine filters are indeed a blend of synthetic/microglass and cellulose. The synthetic medium requires some sort of form or stiffener as it is very soft and pliable. In pure synthetic filters a wire mesh is used to provide the support. At this point all ultra-fine fuel filters, including CAT, are a blend with the paper/cellulose providing the shape/form for the synthetic medium.
    If you were to open a Delvac/Mobil1/AC Delco Duraguard Gold, etc. you would see a very intricate wire mesh structure supporting the synthetic medium.

There seems to be some confusion here. I have Bill Howard from Racor on the phone as I type this. Background --- I am with DIS, and we have been a Racor dealer 20+ years.

S has nothing to do with "synthetic"

Racor uses the following formula:

S = 2 micorn
    T = 10 micron
    P = 30 micron

This only comes into play when you purchase an "add - on" unit like the 400 or 600 series complete element.

The FACTORY unit is a 2 MICRON filter. Recommended replacement 12-15 thousand.

Racor will not even disclose the material used (it is not just a simple cellulose filter as described above). They can not disclose all of the material used since it is propriatery to Racor.

NOTE: I reply to this because we have calls for a synthetic "new" filter that does not exist.

Bill did mention that they are sending a unit to Todd as a test to make something similar to what they have made for the Ford Powerstroke.

http://www.dieselpage.com/rac99upao.htm (for example)

[ 11-04-2002: Message edited by: Brent - DIS ]</p>
    Webmaster @ DIS<BR>www.dieselpage.com<BR>Advertiser

Efficiency rating of the Racor OEM filter used on the Duarmax.

99% efficient @ 4 micron
    Webmaster @ DIS<BR>www.dieselpage.com<BR>Advertiser

jbplock Guest

I just called Travis Winberg at Baldwin for clarification on their BF7727 specs.

Travis said he called their OE

This post is driving me NUTS!!!!!!!!!!

I bought 5 filters from DIS IN F4598

Could Brent-DIS please tell me if the above product is equal to or better than OEM filter, I sure hope its not worse,

Topic is excellent some of the terms dont mean a thing to me.
    GMC 2002 DURAMAX, SLT, EXCAB SHORT BOX 2500HD, 4X4, AUTO
    ACCESS TONNEAU COVER, 3" STAINLESS TUBE STEPS
    JORDAN BRAKE CONTROLLER
    34ft 10,000 lb TRAILER, 50 GAL TRANSFERE FLOW TANK (total 76 gals)

Letsgo,

The IN 4598 is the same filter as the OEM. Racor makes both. The suspected problem is that neither do a very good job. It appears we will have some kind of addtional filter to our system. George Morrison is doing the test and will inform us all soon.
    Todd Eldridge<br />2002 2500HD Crew 4x4 zf 6sp<br />Stanadyne FM-100 additional fuel filter<br />Flo-Pro Muffler<br />Summit White <br />Fender flares painted to match<br />GMC side molding<br />SS Nerf Bars<br />e-mail todd.eldridge@cnet.navy.mil

jbplock Guest

I think it's safe to say - as JK first pointed out - that there is only ONE Filter and it's made by RACOR - the OEM. The other manufactures are just buying from RACOR. Travis at Baldwin told me their filter is made by RACOR and we know that the GM filter is made by RACOR. So, the only question that remains is ... how good the ONE RACOR filter really is. And, it seems that George is well on the way to measuring the true performance.

Kennedy Guest

The way it looks, the OE filter will NOT live up to any of the claims of 90%+ efficiency. George has the details, but it looks like mid 60% figures will be the norm.

Now the question is, are we going to cut lines and install the better filter in the technically incorrect primary position? It isn't going to be something I will be rushing into, but I'm thinking that I will NOT cut into the OE lines plus I can get the better filtration in after the OE unit.

So far our test results show the OEM fuel filter to be 60 to 64% efficient in the critical 5 to 10 micron partical size. Even lower in the other size spectrums.. We have several more tests still in process but I would not anticipate any changes. I will post those results as soon as they become available. Additionally, in all our 'before & after' tests to date, there has been absolutely *no* decrease in water content in the fuels journey through the fuel filter/water seperator. None.. Water content has varied from 30 ppm up to 70 ppm. Whatever water level went into the filter came out the other side.
    Stay tuned...

John,

I looked pretty good at putting another filter after the OE. No much room to work with. How do you think you can accomplish this feat?

Question

How can you check for damage already done to the injectors?

George,

I found where Fleetguard makes a line of fuel filters with a 100% synthetic filter media called Stratapore. They even have a remote mounted unit called Optiguard FH23000. It has a very easy to change element and no need to reprime looks pretty good. Haven't found a dealer yet!!!

What about the by-pass system? Will that not "grab" the 2 micron size?

Burner

Thumbs down

I am very interested in how we can prove this is a problem to the dealer. I have 60,000 miles on my truck and I feel I have injector problems (blue smoke from the tail pipe at times and the smell of unburned fuel), but the dealer believes the problem has occured from the 4" exhaust and a POSSIBLE power box (but they can't show me where the power box is), so they will not investigate further. I am printing all of this post to use as ammunition for my case. I just want to get this fixed before my warranty runs out. I have already spent $200 for them to tell me I have nothing wrong, because of no codes and of course the so called box and exhaust.

Mike
    2001 Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax<br />Check out my NEW SS Pics and Truck at - <a href=\"http://www.mikebroughman.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.mikebroughman.com</a>