Thread: Oil Analysis w/ K&N

Post Oil Analysis w/ K&N

Thinking about installing K&N's new intake/filter and was wondering if anyone out there has any oil analysis data before and after a K&N air filter installation?
    alamovet@yahoo.com<br />2001 2500HD Extended Cab D/A<br />Edge Box from Kennedy Diesel<br />Kennedy Diesel 4\" (monster, gargantuan, whatever you want to call it, it\'s still 4\") exhaust<br />Isspro pyrometer & boost - A-pillar mount<br />Amsoil Dual Remote By-pass<br />Allison Deep Pan w/Transynd<br />Ranch Hand front end replacement and rear bumper<br />Diesel Page Member #6744

quote:george morrison
    Contributor
    posted 04-15-2002 08:20 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My standard lube engineer advisement with the K&N air filter system. To be absolutely certain that the K&N is working in your vehicle, your driving conditions, your environment, run an oil analysis. I review hundreds of oil analysis results a week and in most cases the K&N does not do a sufficient job of capturing airborn and causes very much elevated wear rates, dirt levels. And yet, in some cases the K&N works adequately.
    I share this information as an advisory because of the overwhelming data indicating there are potential problems. I do not work for an air filter manufacting company, reseller, etc.
    George Morrison, STLE CLS
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posts: 40 | From: columbus, ohio | Registered: Oct 2001 | IP: Logged end quote
    2001 2500HD LS Ext.Cab,short bed,D-max,Allison, Onyx black w/graphite int,16X8 Eagle Alloys, Leer 700 Bed cover, Western Ultra-Mount Plow <a href=\"http://www.pbase.com/stretch\" target=\"_blank\">pictures</a><br />2001 Polaris Sportsman 500HO<br />2000 HD Ultra Classic

A member over at the Tundrasolutions.com site ran an oil analysis on his K&N equipped Tundra, then switched to the OEM air filter element, ran same mileage and did another oil analysis. The paper elemented oil analysis reflected a significant drop in intake dirt levels along with a corresponding reduction in wear metals. He is continuing his personal test program having installed an Amsoil air filter. He will publish the results for the Amsoil, K&N and stock oil analysis results.
    Also there is another site http://www.avlube.com/ which has some relevant data.
    George Morrison, STLE CLS
    George Morrison, STLE CLS<br />www.avlube.com e-mail avlube@netwalk.com<br />2002 Chev Duramax 2500HD, Delvac 1, Mobil 1 syn ATF, 75W-90<br />1998 Chev 3500HD 6.5TD, Delvac 1, Harvard 750S by-pass oil filter

My analysis should be at my house by now, but I am in FL at a conference. I will post my results early next week. It is with a REPLACEMENT filter, not the FIPK system though. But, for argument sake, it should be similar. BTW... the last time I washed and oiled the filter was approx. 7,000 miles ago (did it this way on purpose).
    2001 JUICED GMC 2500HD SLE AlliMax, Longbed, Ext. Cab, 4X4 Summit White, G80 Differential, Husky Liners, Black UWS Toolbox, Black Westin Nerfs, Black Replacement Front and Rear Bumper, Black Bedrail caps, Autopage 2 way LCD Alarm remote start,JL Audio, Hella, Cobra, ProComp Mud Terrains, Tekonsha Prodigy Controller, Fumoto, Rhino Liner, 400 Watt Inverter, Pioneer XM Radio<br />KENNEDY 4\" Exhaust. 100,000 miles on January 31,2003!!<br /><a href=\"http://home.att.net/~markstanco\" target=\"_blank\"><b>PHOTOS UPDATE 11/02</b></a><br /><br />Gutter Pipe is your friend. Leafblower is your enemy.

Alamovet,

I ran a K&N in my previous truck until it developed pinholes and put a GM filter back in. With the K&N I had several wear metals that kept showing up high along with high solids. After I put in the GM filter, almost every reading made huge drops. To top it off there was no difference in fuel economy or feel in the power. If you are going to use one expect the extra wear.
    White \'01 Chev Duramax/ZF-6 Ext.Cab 3500 LS 4x4<br />Cooper LT245/75R16 Explorer S/T on<br />American Racing D-8<br />Active Wheel Balancers<br />Synthetic Front to Back<br />Warn Transformer & HS9500i on Multimount<br />Underseat Storage Bin<br />Hi Idle Mod<br />4 Headlight Mod

Thumbs down

I had a cone K&N filter (pn RE0880) on my Dodge Cummins for a while and it did not work well at all. I had it sealed very well but after a few thousand miles I could pull the intake hose off the filter and found lots of fine brown powder on the inside. I cleaned & resealed the unit and gave it another chance but again its filtering performance was totally unacceptible. My oil analysis came back around 14ppm silicates after 5000 miles. I'll never use K&N again. I went with the Amsoil filter which seems to be filtering much better, I can't wipe any dust off the intake hose after 20,000 miles. I live in a dry dusty desert climate so I need a filter that works. I don't think the Amsoil is the best filter there is as far as flow capabilites (but better than paper) and probably filters as good as or better than paper.

Dodge dealers used to sell K&N filter kits for the Cummins, but recently Cummins stated K&N was not an acceptible filter to use on their engines and the dealers no longer sell them for that application.

Vaughn

[ 04-18-2002: Message edited by: Vaughn MacKenzie ]</p>
    <a href=\"http://groups.msn.com/VaughnsAlbum/vaughnsram.msnw\" target=\"_blank\"> 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 </a> <br />Quadcab shortbed 2wd, HO Cummins, 6-speed, DD2 injectors, 5\" exhaust, PDR35/16 turbo, 323.7hp/661tq

Turbo Al Guest

I have had my K & N on for about 8,000 miles and GM just checked the sensors in the intake and said there were as clean as a whisle.

Another site for K&N vs. OEM paper.
    http://www.seansa4page.com/resource/airfilter.html

George Morrison
    George Morrison, STLE CLS<br />www.avlube.com e-mail avlube@netwalk.com<br />2002 Chev Duramax 2500HD, Delvac 1, Mobil 1 syn ATF, 75W-90<br />1998 Chev 3500HD 6.5TD, Delvac 1, Harvard 750S by-pass oil filter

POS Guest

I have 76k miles on my 2000 PowerStroke and sent an oil sample to Blackstone Labs. I've always used the K&N, so I'm not here to say the K&N makes a huge difference, I'm only stating that they found no contaminants due to a bad air filter. In K&N's defense, my air filter gets unbelievably nasty if I forget about it for 20k miles.