Thread: auxilliary radiator (or other) fan?

Took a relatively big load all over the place this weekend. Truck kicked ass of course.

Seems that at a particular point in temp-rpm-etc, an additional "whirring" began up front.

Thermo reactive fan?

w/t
    2001 black truck, powerful engine,<br />pneumatic tires (4), <br />2-way glass, fully-upholstered inside seating, 12volt dc lighting, one-man steering wheel,interior heating, wipers, aftermarket 8-track...more.

Either the fan or turbo whine. Depends on what you mean by "additional". Bats stuck in the grill make a whirring sound, also.

Added on edit:
    If you've had the '01 intake upgrade (stock on '02 and some late 01's), you could have sucked in the mastick that covers the snorkel hole on the inner fender, next to the air cleaner. This can cause a "whoop-whoop" sound if it is partially sucked in and still attached. If it is sucked in completely, it can reduce air volume and power, and could make additional noises.

Definately not the tape issue.
    Also not the turbo.
    Not a bat insight.

Sounds very much like a fan.

Not sure why after this many miles and bought it new in 2001. Just don't recall the sound. Hardest I ever worked it was this weekend though.

Once again, no problems, just curious.

tks
    w/t
    2001 black truck, powerful engine,<br />pneumatic tires (4), <br />2-way glass, fully-upholstered inside seating, 12volt dc lighting, one-man steering wheel,interior heating, wipers, aftermarket 8-track...more.

Fan clutch locking up. Sounds like a small jet took off under your hood.

Sounds like the the big fan kicked in. I hear it all the time. I'm hauling in 90 degree heat - 19,000 CGVW at elevation changes from 3000ft to
    7000ft (on average) throughout the Northwest.

It's possible that "the Juice" increases the heat
    I don't know - also the tranny goes up to 200
    and with more outside heat the EGT's get there faster - too!

If your truck is more than you need - and you just tool around town with it - it is possible that you never had this fan kick in. It's scary
    the first time you hear it!
    2003 Duramax/Allison EXcab -pewter <br />LT - Ultra Trail-eze Wind Deflector<br />\"Juice\", guages Amisol Air filter - 4in. flowthru exhaust/muffler<br />Merhow Live-in Quarters 3 Horse Trlr. - 12,000lbs. On the road - indefinately -Laptop thru Cell to the world!

1st Diesel / Peachin ::::

I'll bet that's it.
    Thanks.

w/t

Peachin::

Up and over the Snoqualimie Pass.
    Port Orchard to Ellensburg.
    Then a couple little ones in and out of Yakima.

About 80 degrees, camper fully-loaded, 2-horse slant(warmblood) w/ about 2500 pounds of stupid animals in there.

This is the first time I've put this much on the road for a considerable distance.

This truck is completely stock.
    Handled the highway like no other I've had.

Thanks again.

w/t