Thread: heavy White smoke and stalling...???

I've got an '01, has about 43K miles. Mods are a hot juice and a swiss cheese airbox. I have been running these mods for years, haven't done anything new lately except routine maint.
    About six months ago I had an episode while running down the interstate, the truck lost power. Didn't die, didn't light the CEL, just kinda went to an idle almost and the throttle wouldn't effect it. After a minute, maybe two, of mashing the accelerator, cursing, and generally freaking out, it started to cough and sputter, clatter like a cold 6.5, and pour white smoke out the exhuast. I guessed water in fuel, got it home (ran fine after the little episode) and swapped out the fuel filter and started getting my fuel at a new place.
    A month or so later, same thing exactly... I cursed and changed the filter again. It did it again within a week! Then several months go by and no problems. The other day I was turning at an intersection, right in front of oncoming traffic and it had an episode... this is getting dangerous!
    I know I won't be able to duplicate the problem for the dealer so I haven't even bothered with trying...
    Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Jeff.
    MEMBER #6086
    2001 K2500HD CC D/A Onyx/Tan

madmatt Guest

tough call w/ it being that intermitent. there's a bulletin (#pip3312) that suggests the possibilty of a fuel system leak or restriction. after it has one of it's "spells" have the fuel system vacuum checked.

madmatt Guest

also did it stall or not???? your title suggests it did but in your story you say it didn't. Which is it? if it did stall, did it fire right up, or did you have to prime it?

Sorry, guess I didn't word that right.
    The engine never quit, I didn't have to re-start it any of the times. It just lost power and the RPMs dropped to almost an idle and the engine was unresponsive to the accelerator pedal for several seconds.
    I feel really stuck until it gets more frequent or dies altogether... which absolutely s-u-c-k-s.
    MEMBER #6086
    2001 K2500HD CC D/A Onyx/Tan

Timberline Guest

I had a similar problem with my VW TDI. The drop in power was barely noticable on the Beetle but poured the white smoke out only for a few seconds. It has only done it once.
    My Duramax has not done anything like that.......knock on wood........

I am curious as to what causes this to happen.