Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OilGuard Bypass Filter

From Mobil's website:

http://www.prod.mobil1.com/index***p

Do edit/find-

<< 06/17/2002 Bypass Oil Filtering
    I read through the archive but could find nothing on "bypass oil filtering." I'd like to add the Oilguard System to my 1995 Ford F-150 with 50,000 miles. The literature and reports of performance of this type of system are quite positive. I've been using Mobil 1 in all my vehicles for 20 years and plan to continue that use. Has Mobil done any tests or does it have any recommendation regarding bypass filtering?
    -- Paul Edstrom, Stanchfield
    The average conventional spin-on filter for an automobile typically has a 40-50 micron absolute rating. That means particles larger than this size will be caught by the filter element. The Mobil 1 oil filter has a 15 micron absolute rating. Some bypass systems are rated at 1-3 microns absolute. We have not done any performance testing with the bypass oil filtering system you have suggested. Although a good filter is vital to the health of an engine, bypass oil filtering systems are capable of extremely fine filtration. It is usually not necessary to filter an engine oil down to cleanliness levels below the 10-15 micron range. We do not recommend filtering an engine oil down to below 1 micron particle size. Below this size, a filter may begin to capture vital components of the additive package. >>

Who wants to start with additive component micron size? Are they all below 1 micron and could a very efficient by-pass filter pick up some of the components? Seems possible.

It appears that if you use this system you should do on-going oil analysis.

[ 02-16-2003: Message edited by: TraceF ]

Trying to fill in the *** from the Mobil page address- put dot,j,s where the *** is.

I got this from the OilGuard website:

Sub-micron filtration does occur within the OilGuard bypass filter, and possibly within other competitive bypass filters. But this sub-micron filtration is a natural adhesion process of contamination simply sticking to the filter, much the same as dust sticks to the screen of a window. The filter is not trapping sub-micron particles, it is merely collecting them without any rate of regular consistency. To claim nominal sub-micron filtration would require proof that a filter can trap 50% of ALL sub-micron particles within a single pass. OilGuard knows of no such bypass oil filter which can achieve this.

[ 02-17-2003: Message edited by: TraceF ]</p>
    2008 GMC Sierra SLE 2500 HD
    Z71 4x4 Extended cab long bed
    265/70/17 oem aluminum wheels
    6.0 gasser with 6L90 tranny

2007 Harley Davidson FXSTC
    Softtail Custom
    Too many mods to list

2005 Contender 25 Open
    Yamaha 200 HPDI's

In summary-

Mobil tech writes this: &lt;&lt; The average conventional spin-on filter for an automobile typically has a 40-50 micron absolute rating. That means particles larger than this size will be caught by the filter element. The Mobil 1 oil filter has a 15 micron absolute rating. Some bypass systems are rated at 1-3 microns absolute. We have not done any performance testing with the bypass oil filtering system you have suggested. Although a good filter is vital to the health of an engine, bypass oil filtering systems are capable of extremely fine filtration. It is usually not necessary to filter an engine oil down to cleanliness levels below the 10-15 micron range. We do not recommend filtering an engine oil down to below 1 micron particle size. Below this size, a filter may begin to capture vital components of the additive package. &gt;&gt;

I think we can agree, at least I haven't read anything negative on the DP about Mobil tech services, that Mobil is a reputable company and a reputable source of information.

OilGuard writes this: &lt;&lt; Sub-micron filtration does occur within the OilGuard bypass filter, and possibly within other competitive bypass filters. But this sub-micron filtration is a natural adhesion process of contamination simply sticking to the filter, much the same as dust sticks to the screen of a window. The filter is not trapping sub-micron particles, it is merely collecting them without any rate of regular consistency. To claim nominal sub-micron filtration would require proof that a filter can trap 50% of ALL sub-micron particles within a single pass. OilGuard knows of no such bypass oil filter which can achieve this. &gt;&gt;

One could read some warning into this. This is what I meant by this being a similarly complicated issue to fuel filtration. As the bypass filter begins to accumulate lubricant contaminants the possibility exists for the additive package to be diminished. Kind of like the dirt that gets onto the K&N filter helps to catch more dirt concept.

Softtail Custom
    Too many mods to list

2005 Contender 25 Open
    Yamaha 200 HPDI's

Kennedy Guest

Oil analysis will show what the status is of your oil. Now I'm not sure how large some of these additive molecules can be, but I believe if they were large enough to stick in a filter, they could be large enough to harm the engine.

Analysis lists the additive package elements, so if they all disappeared, we'd know something was up...

John- you reaffirm a point I made in an earlier post- oil analysis needs to be sop with a by pass filter capable of 1-mic filtering.

Again we are adding cost that may or may not give a measurable return.

Additives suspend contaminants by design, as the contaminants are captured in the filter I believe some of the additive has to remain with it.

Softtail Custom
    Too many mods to list

2005 Contender 25 Open
    Yamaha 200 HPDI's

The additives are present to perform basic jobs:to clean the engine by reducing deposits and holding solids in suspension, to neutralize acids,and to coat metal syrfaces to help reduce wear. When levels of contamination rise in these areas, additive depletion occurs. The by-pass filter effectively keeps contamination far below levels that would cause additive depletion within a healthy engine; therefore, the additive package of oil maintains a much higher level than the manufactures requirements.
    2001 2500 Duramax - BedRug-Euro-taillights-Westin lighted running boards- 75 Harley Superglide for sale-biglouieky@insightbb.com

Kennedy Guest

No, analysis does NOT have to be SOP unless you want to stretch the drain intervals. My ferrography reports show a LOT of large soot agglomeration in the 15+ micron size as will many others. This is NOT measured by spectro analysis as they look only at small particles.

Knowing that I have the best possible filtration for my engine oil adds peace of mind that pays for itself.

While I WILL continue to analyze my oil to watch for trends, I am not specifically looking for how many miles I can get from a fill. If the results indicate that I can, so be it, but when you find nearly soot particles measured in THOUSANDS in a ferrography it is time to take notice...

JK- I agree with your first paragraph, last post.

Softtail Custom
    Too many mods to list

2005 Contender 25 Open
    Yamaha 200 HPDI's

Trace,
    I'm not sure where we are going with this but to date I have never seen or heard an oil analysis showing additives removed via bypass filtering. Unless someone can show me measurable/documented evidence that this occurs I will just have to stick with the results that are measurable and documented.
    2002 2500HD CC D/A <br />Post Mega filt., Lighted TTT mirrors, K&N Air Filt, Bilstein <br />B&W Gooseneck/5th, Oil guard, <br />Tekonsha Prodigy, Lift Pump, Line-x<br />Air Lift Bags & Load Controller II <br />Pics. <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/abear130\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/abear130</a>

a bear- Did you read the Navy analysis of the bypass filters? A clear purpose (not exclusive) was to extend the life of the lubricant. They measure this extension in terms of pay back against the expense of the filtration system.

It goes without saying that this extension is determined by oil analysis.

Did you read the Mobil tech section re bypass filtration? They're documented experts and they seem to believe that "It is usually not necessary to filter an engine oil down to cleanliness levels below the 10-15 micron range."

The point here and that I have tried to make in other forums is that I question whether the perceived gain is worth the actual cost of some of these "add-ons".

If the lubricant is utilized throughout the usefull life, the value to the bypass system gets greater. In my humble opinion.

If you are still changing it at 4k miles and you are running it through a bypass system the oil is practically fresh when you dump it. Overkill.

Regardless of whether there is a study proving additives can be picked up via bypass filtration, I am telling you that it is my belief- that as additives suspend contaminants and those contaminants become trapped by the filter, some additive quantity/quality is lost.

No. I can't prove it.

Softtail Custom
    Too many mods to list

2005 Contender 25 Open
    Yamaha 200 HPDI's

jbplock Guest

The following is a quote from an email I received from Mark Meddock at OilGuard.
    (Posted here with his permission)

"I finally had a chance to read the posts on the forum and the contributor who
    wrote this is absolutely right on the money::

"The additives are present to perform basic jobs: to clean the engine by
    reducing deposits and holding solids in suspension, to neutralize acids, and
    to coat metal surfaces to help reduce wear. When levels of contamination rise
    in these areas, additive depletion occurs. The by-pass filter effectively
    keeps contamination far below levels that would cause additive depletion
    within a healthy engine; therefore, the additive package of oil maintains a
    much higher level than the manufactures requirements."

The bypass filters do not remove additives, period.

Bypass filters extend the life of additives in exactly this manner. As soot
    and other contaminates agglomerate, the filter will remove them. Many
    particles are held in suspension by the additives and pass through the filter
    until they agglomerate, (especially soot). Our testing over the last ten
    years clearly show that running a bypass filter with capability down to 1
    micron maintains the additive pack and oil TBN (Total Base Number) much
    longer than engines that are running only factory full flow. Our website
    reference to catching an undetermined amount of sub-micron particles in no
    way makes any inference that oil additives are removed. In fact they are not
    and OilGuard customers do not have to test for it via oil analysis. We only
    recommend oil analysis for customers that are going to go to extended oil
    drain intervals, as a means to monitor oil condition and wear metals.

Thank You, Mark Meddock"

I repeat my previous post and amend it by removing the last paragraph and the sentence that follows it afterwhich I add the following:

Since the Navy says this:

&lt;&lt; According to Mr. Mike Schleider, Chief Engineer for the Support Equipment and Vehicle Management Directorate at the Warner Robins Air Logistics Center, the use of oil bypass filters in Air Force vehicles has been approved for use once a base has petitioned their MAJCOM for an exemption from the periodic oil change intervals called out in T.O. 36-1-171. However, if approved, these filters will be required to be used in conjunction with an oil analysis program. The oil analysis program is to be used to determine oil change intervals. &gt;&gt;

and since Mobil says this:

&lt;&lt; Although a good filter is vital to the health of an engine, bypass oil filtering systems are capable of extremely fine filtration. It is usually not necessary to filter an engine oil down to cleanliness levels below the 10-15 micron range. &gt;&gt;

and I have repeatedly said this:

&lt;&lt; I agree with good lubricants filtration.

The basic point I have been making in several different forums is that with the right maintenance intervals and the correct lubricants, coolants, filters, etc. these trucks can and I submit will prove out to be completely capable of 250 to 400 thousand miles of operation without a major failure.

Sure, this can be improved on, no doubt about that. I just don't think these problems are as critical as they seem to be perceived by some of you. &gt;&gt;

and since my general approach to issues such as this is based on (my own) economic analysis, and the fact that I don't want to do oil analysis at 10k, 12k, 14k, etc to first establish a baseline and then less frequently to be sure the $180 bypass system and extra expense of filters will eventually pay off (somehow)...

I ain't gonna buy one. It's not kool enough.

If you want it- by all means- BUY IT.

I spent my money on Juice instead. That's kool. You all have convinced me of that !!!

Softtail Custom
    Too many mods to list

2005 Contender 25 Open
    Yamaha 200 HPDI's

jbplock Guest

Well, I installed an OilGuard on my Dmax today. I had decided to wait for JK’s solution (which I’m sure will be excellent) but the folks at OilGuard made me an offer I couldn’t refuse: A filter kit in exchange for documenting the Dmax install. The unit is very well made and was easy to install. It also does not alter the OEM full-flow filter installation. The bypass is fed from the 3/8 plug on the oil filter adapter/cooler assy and is returned through a custom fitting that attaches in place of the oil-pan drain plug. I took a bunch of pictures and will be writing up a description of the installation along with a few interesting things I found out in the process. As soon as it’s complete I’ll put up a link to the write up and pictures. The folks at OilGuard also gave me two oil sample kits for doing a before and after ISO particle count test. More to come… (I have to make up some family time – dad has been in the garage too long)

[img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-21-2003: Message edited by: jbplock ]</p>

I installed the Filtration Solutions bypass filter on my '01 Dmax almost 2 years ago. The unit is very well made. The outer casing would probably stop a small caliber bullet which certainly provides a little "piece of mind" when driving rough rock roads.

I change the bypass filter every 10,000 miles and send samples for analysis. I perform a complete oil and filters (OEM and bypass) change every 20,000.
    2001 2500HD 4x4 LS CC D/A LB

This is very interesting to me. It seems you are satisfied with the analysis result.

You are getting your money's worth from this add-on.

At only around $7 though- I would probably feel more "warm and fuzzy" doing the oem every 10 as well.

Are you using synthetic or dino oil?

Softtail Custom
    Too many mods to list

2005 Contender 25 Open
    Yamaha 200 HPDI's

I have been very pleased with the oil analysis results to date. I used Rotella T 15-40 until the truck had 50,000 miles then switched to Rotella Synthetic. The main reason for Rotella is that its readily avilable, reasonably priced, and that's what my dad had used for years in farm equipment and several Petes and Int'l over-the-road rigs...

Kennedy Guest

jkm,

Have you ever done a ferrography on your oil? MUCH more detailed than a typical spectro analysis, and a real eye opener! I just installed my prototype bypass system, and now need to rack up some miles. I have 2k on it now and the oil color as bloted on a paper towel has gone from a clear to a light caramel, kind of like the difference between Quaker State and older Valvoline. Just a hint of darkening.

Kennedy,
    The oil analysis I have had done was typical spectrographic. A company called Blackstone Labs performed the tests. Each analysis includes a brief narrative written by the technician regarding the results.

I have never heard of the analysis you referred to, please tell me more...

Not to answer for Kennedy but I think the basic difference is that ferrography seperates the wear components from the carrier either by centrifuge or magnet filtration.

Spectography measures the suspended wear components in ppm relative to the carrier.

Softtail Custom
    Too many mods to list

2005 Contender 25 Open
    Yamaha 200 HPDI's

Kennedy Guest

Ferrography also looks at the BIG stuff.

George Morrison www.avlube.com is who I do my ferrography through. He has an ad banner on this site.

Trace,
    In responce to your post where a Mobil (rep?) stated that Mobil doesn't recommend filtering motor oil below 15 microns, did you notice that in the very next sentence the mobil 1 - 15 micron absolute filter was advertised. Just found the exact numbers to be a little strange. Also engine wear does happens below the 15 micron level. Reduced componet clearances with higher loads and thinner films will cause more wear from smaller particles. My truck for one is a loaded work truck. Pulling a 40' cattle trailer and heavy equipment.
    I won't comment on that persons assumption of removing additives as this does not show in oil analysis. There is no doubt that Mobil products are top shelf but with a 15 micron absolute rating and the aggressive oil flow of the DMAX I would have to wonder how long would it be before the media becomes restricted and oil starts to flow through the (GM recommended) bypass valve thus washing off the filter media particles back into the oil stream ? After pricing the Mobile 1 filters that are near our specs (none available for the DMAX) it appears that the cost is nearly equal to the full flow and bypass element combined. I personally feel that a by-pass oil filter is a one time investment that will bring measurable returns and can be transfered between vehicles. As I said before it's not for everyone but good if you plan on running high miles on the vehicle. Personally I just want to see how far this truck will go so I will give it what ever it needs to see it there.

By the way check out G.Morrison's sig. He just happens to be a lube enginner working for Mobil that I think all here have come to respect. Do I see a bypass filter there?
    2002 2500HD CC D/A <br />Post Mega filt., Lighted TTT mirrors, K&N Air Filt, Bilstein <br />B&W Gooseneck/5th, Oil guard, <br />Tekonsha Prodigy, Lift Pump, Line-x<br />Air Lift Bags & Load Controller II <br />Pics. <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/abear130\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/abear130</a>