Thread: Synthetic Oil

I don't mean to span the board so be nice.

If you guys use synthetic motor oil, which do you use. I seem to see that there isn't a consensus when searching the board.

Can you use Mobil One or a 40 weight of any kind? I used to use Durablend in my Dodge but it was a gasser.
    2003 GMC D/A CC SWB LT Carbon Metalic, Dark Pewter, Factory DVD,<br />Hot Juice, aFe II, what else do I need? <br />2003 Four Winns 220<br />2002 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO<br />2003 GMC Envoy (wife\'s)

Kennedy Guest

Stick with a true diesel oil.

I run Mobil Delvac 1. Amsoil 15w40 HD Diesel/Marine is also an excellent choice.

Mr. Kennedy's right - use a motor oil formulated for diesels. There are compelling reasons to do so.

I use Amsoil's 15W-40 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine Motor Oil. I have used different Amsoil motor oils in all the different vehicles I've had with excelent results.
    2004 CrewCab Longbed, D-max/Allison, Line-X bedliner, Go-Rhino wheel-wheel bars, UNI air filter, Kennedy Mega Fuel Filter. Edge Juice & Attitude coming soon. I need upgraded exhaust, but my wife is gonna B!@#$ about the juice already.

Talking

I use Amsoil 15w40 Diesel oil also. My local Chevrolet Manager told me that Amsoil is about the best there is!
    2003 Chevy 2500HD LT CC/DA, LineX, AmsoilBypass & 2 Stage Air, Superplug Drain Plug, Raycor 660S Pre/OEM, Westin Nerfs.

Great thread.

I just signed up for the preferred Amsoil buyer's program and had similar questions.

What's the consensus on using synthetic oil in a new DMax [&lt;4K miles]? Should I wait till I get 20-30K? Amsoil's dual oil filter setup will extend oil changes to 10's of thousands of miles and recommend to switching to oil analysis rather then scheduled oil changes. Does anyone here do this?

I was thinking of switching all fluids [diff\trans, etc.] to Amsoil at around 5K miles.
    Regards,<br />Elliot<br /><br />Black \'04 Crew/Shortbox<br />with \"Texas Ranch Dressing\"<br /><br /><br />end of line

Kevin,

Mobil Delvac 1. Make sure you get Delvac, there is Mobil 1 synthetic that is sold in Wal Mart that is not diesel oil.

Mark
    2007.5 GMC SLE 2500 HD LMM **SOLD**
    Owned 2006 GMC Sierra CC LLY/LBZ *2 not a D in SN* 214K Purchased 3/2010
    CC/SB/4x4 Summit White
    Owned a 2002 GMC CC LB7 CC sold with 135K
    Now 2015 GMC Crew Cab Duramax/Allison
    Custom Tool box

Rottela.....at Wally World.Whatever you use make sure it has the API seal and it meets the requirements of your owners manual.....Lineman

mdadgar Guest

I read here not too long ago that there is now a consumer version of Mobil 1 formulated for diesel use. I have not seen it myself.

Either way, I use Mobil 1 Delvac at 5K mile intervals.

Amsoil is reputed to be good stuff, but I really hate their MLM-based marketing program.

Anyway, my local dealer is happy to use oil I supply in the cases where I'm too lazy to crawl under the truck myself.

- Mark

LanduytG Guest

Amsoil is reputed to be good stuff, but I really hate their MLM-based marketing program
    I hear this a lot but if its bought from the right person MLM does not matter. Beleive me I have plenty of issues with MLM type things but I still do a good business without doing the MLM part of it.

Greg

mdrag Guest

Cool

Originally posted by StrangeEngine:
    I read here not too long ago that there is now a consumer version of Mobil 1 formulated for diesel use. I have not seen it myself...

- Mark
    jbplock posted information on the new Mobil 1 Truck & SUV Formula earlier this year. It is reported to be relabeled Mobil Delvac 1. I saw the Truck & SUV Formula at the local WalMart a few weeks ago and plan to use it at the next oil change. Delvac 1 has been tough to find locally.

Cool

My preference is Deere 15w-40 +50. It has an API (American Petroleum Institute) rating of CI-4 and is readily available out here in the rural areas......
    ** ccole **
    Past Rides: 1978 Chevy 5.7 Dsl; 1982 C-20 6.2L Dsl; 1984 Chevy 6.2 Dsl; 1986 Suburban 6.2L Dsl; 1989 K2500 6.2L Dsl; 1994 F250 7.3L; (2) 1997 F250 7.3L; 2004 Duramax; 2005 Duramax; 2006 Duramax; 2007 Duramax; 1995 6.5 Non-Turbo; 1994 6.5 Turbo; 2001 F350 7.3L, 2005 GMC Duramax (Current)

Some good information at this site on all about oil.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

covers most everything and has links to other sites.

I use the Mobil 1 Truck/SUV with the yellow cap. It is Delvac 1 in a different container according to everything I have read. It also has the highest API rating for Diesels with exhaust gas recirculation (all LLY motors).

Steve

I to use JD 15 w40 +50 with a JD filter and it costs me about $26. I think it is good stuff and have seen excellent results with it in lots of tractors and other equipment. This is what I am going to use from now on.
    83 Chevy K10<br />01 GMC 2500HD CC D/A