Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad fuel - watch out! (long)

LFH Guest

Below is a phone number for Shell Oil US. I am sure they would be interested in any Shell station serving up bad fuel.

Public Affairs (713)241-4543

Got this number from Shells web page
    www.shellus.com

[This message has been edited by LFH (edited 05-16-2001).]

Diesel Dan Guest

Steve,

Let us know if/when you get a response.

------------------
    1988 chevy crew cab
    1 ton 4x4, 6.2L, TH400, 4.10s
    1993 K3500 crew cab dually 6.5TD auto

CareyWeber Guest

Steve,

I share your feelings for bad fuel they should make it right.

I would be be interested in your fuel pressure gages for monitoring fuel filter restriction do you have any pictures and did you use mechcanical or electric gages. Can you tell us more about it?

Thanks
    Carey

------------------
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Carey Weber #1693
    <LI>97 GMC K3500 6.5TD 4.10
    <LI>Crew Cab SRW
    <LI>Dr Lee By-pass Oil Filter
    <LI>Delo 400 Dino Juice
    <LI>KN
    <LI>Jardine Downpipe
    <LI>Dual 3" Straight pipes[/list]

Question

Steve, have you had any luck yet?

Hopefully they pay!!!!!

------------------
    www.picturetrail.com/somndmax

2001 Chevy 2500HD Duramax, Allison
    Ext. Cab SB Forest Green
    16x8 Centerline Rattlers,285/75-16 Goodyear ATS
    Autometer Boost and EGT gauges
    4" Diesel Dynamic's exhaust is here!!!! Just gotta find time to install it....

Diesel Page member #6184

No word yet guys, I'm giving the Attorney General's office time to do their thing before doing any more. On the fuel pressure gauge check out this post on the TDR site about it - http://www.turbodieselregister.com/u...ML/002205.html . Not sure if you guys have test ports before and after the filter or not - you should be able to find that in your service manual. There is a procedure listed to test for lift pump operation and filter status in the Dodge/Cummins service manual and that's where I took the test port and pressure data from. If you don't have test ports but you have banjo bolts attaching the fuel lines to the fuel filter cannister you could drill and tap the banjo bolts for npt threads and put senders on there. I'd be glad to answer any questions.

-Steve

It stinks to see that a station is not standing behind their product. I worked at a Sunoco while younger and we only had one bad dose of fuel which caused a problem in one 6.5 and the station paid for the tow and did all the work fixing the problem, draining the tank flushing it and new injectors. The owner was woried that it could hurt there sales in diesel and said it was better to take care of the problem to keep a good name. Now if they don't pay I would get everyone you know with a gas engine and go thru one at a time and buy 50cents worth of gas and take your time to check all fliuds and brose the store and use the restroom check your tires throw all the little trash in there barrels. Each person can take at least 15 minutes in there. Good luck

Just bringing it back to the top and to find out what, if anything, has happened with the
    situation yet, Steve. I also got bad fuel in
    my 6.2, but that was about 3 years ago and was wondering if it was the same station or not. The one where I got my fuel was the shell on the right hand side of 27 just after turning left off of the road that goes by all the fast food and gas stations off of 69. Is
    this the same station or not.

It isn't the same station but they are both owned by the same company ! Did they do anything for you? I'm still waiting on the AG's office to act on it.

-Steve

I never even tried to get anything back. My tank was bad anyway and I had a new one to put in so I swapped tanks and ended up putting in two new filters. For me it wasn't
    that big of a problem, but it sucks knowing that they know they have a problem and won't do a sh!ttin' thing about it. You live around Charlotte or just passing through?

I'm about 25 minutes north northwest of Charlotte - although I don't pass through there very often. Email me at stevest@voyager.net and we'll get together sometime and say hi.

-Steve

Steve,

Did you ever investigate the Small Claims Court process? Your situation just seems to be a natural for recovery of damages via this medium.

------------------

That's my next step, I'm trying to follow the options available out there first. The AG's office tries to act as an intermediary in issues like this but they have no real authority, so I'm letting them have their shot first. After that, small claims will probably be my next step (that or protesting). Only thing I don't like about that is that it can quietly go away and noone else around that area will be aware of the issue.

-Steve

Steve- I don't live in Charlotte. I live up
    in North Branch and was visiting my parents that live outside of Tekonsha and detoured off of 69 down 27. I needed to fill up my one tank and they were fairly cheap so.....
    Anyway, my problem wasn't nearly as bad as
    yours.

Talking

You are a good man Steve. I have to travel 20 miles round trip to get decent fuel for my 6.2 otherwise she doesn't run very well on the local fuels. Of which Shell is one.

I am glad to see that you are following up on this problem. I would do the same. I have paid for a Lemon Costume so I could picket the Nissan Dealer a few years back when they refused to repair my automatic transmission on my New 86 Stanza Wagon. I am now going to contact the State Insurance Commissioner regarding my recent experiences with State Farm Auto Insurance. I find that few companies these days are willing to accept any responsibility for there products or services. Keep up the good work and from personal experience you may get the best results with Small Claims Court. I have done this a few times and they will pay a day or two before court. Kris

[This message has been edited by krisstarr (edited 06-29-2001).]