Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torque convertor bolts

I read where several members have checked the tightness/replaced the bolts that hold the torque convertor to the flex plate.How did you tackle this job, was a lift rack used? How much time did the job take? I looked at it & seems very difficult laying under the truck.
    Any & all help appreciated.

mrgene@att.net
    chipper 2001 GMC,,D/MAX,SLE,EXT CAB,LONGBED,LINEX,FIRESTONE AIR BAGS,,driv\'en it & smilling, 32' Excel 5er

access to the bolts is through the starter hole, starter has to be removed to do this. could be a bit awkward on the ground
    2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD CC Shorty
    Dyno Proven - 800 rwhp on fuel only.
    Trans to hold it and a big ol S400 turbo feeding it.

Ummmm, should this keep me awake tonight?

This is a new one to me, is it a silent killer like high blood pressure? Any symptoms to watch for? Clearly, loose bolts would be a bad thing.....
    2002 Chev 2500HD, D-Max/Alli, X-Cab Short Box, LT, Black/Graphite, Hot Juice from JK, Back Country steps, Michelin LTX. Not sure if its a mid-life crisis or second childhood but it sure is fun.

willow, there have been a few issues with these bolts coming loose, you will notice a ticking sound from bell housing area. usually only one makes it all the way out, extreme cases it wollers out the holes in the flexplate. I would stick with the 'ol adage here, if it aint broke.......
    Unless your in for an afternoon under the truck that is, while your there, might as well put new bolts in.

DmaxalliTech,
    Do you know approximately how much shop time this would be at the dealer?
    chipper 2001 GMC,,D/MAX,SLE,EXT CAB,LONGBED,LINEX,FIRESTONE AIR BAGS,,driv\'en it & smilling, 32' Excel 5er

Thanks, I was being a bit factious there. It
    2002 Chev 2500HD, D-Max/Alli, X-Cab Short Box, LT, Black/Graphite, Hot Juice from JK, Back Country steps, Michelin LTX. Not sure if its a mid-life crisis or second childhood but it sure is fun.

Chipper, I would have to guess it to be in the 1.5 hour range. I will check the books tomarrow and post published time.

Thats a good q' willow. I will have to dig into that and follow up. The bolts have gone through two part no changes and are now on the third, I think they are aware of the problem or they would not change the bolts. If they are ever removed, they MUST be replaced.

Wink

Sounds like they must have nyloc inserts in the threads. Maybe the first ones didn't. I haven't heard of this problem since the first 01 came out. As I remember, they came loose from the factory. Later! Lone Eagle
    02 2500 HD EC SB<br />Juice 4.61<br />Post OEM Racor 660<br />Back Country Bars<br />Roll Lock Cover<br />B & W Turnover

Talking

DmaxalliTech,
    you were going to check the "books" & let me know the time to change the T.C. bolts??

I guess great minds think alike..... I was just at my Allison dealer an hour ago picking up a filter and this very subject came up. The service manager said it took his guy's about 2 hours to do the job. I'm going to do it my self over the week-end. Kieth was very good about giving a few photocopies from the service manual so I have a better idea of what I'm up against also gave me the replacement bolts that Allison had put out for this TSB. There is allready some sort of thread locker on the bolts in the bag. I understand that the bolts from factory are T-50 Torx, so I'll have to go out and grab one of thse puppies.
    Just a word of caution about working though the starter hole.... you would'nt want to drop a socket or one of the bolts inside the bellhousing.... that would make for a looong night..

----&gt;Kevin
    \'02 D/A Ext/SB K&N, SmittyBars,Sylvania Xenarc 2020&1010\'s Line-X, Bfgoodrich Boots, TTT lighted mirrors, Custom in box Fuel tank/tool box, Fumoto valve, Juiced, X-Monitor

Chipper, sorry I took so long. Actual labor time would be dependent on the dealer but I would not pay more then two labor hours. If you were at my dealer, Your paperwork would say "ticking noise from back of engine area" and you would be getting six new bolts!.

Unhappy

DmaxalliTech

The ticking sound that you describe with the loose TC bolts does it sound like an exaust pipe thats warming up and you here that tinny metal expanding sound. If it is I think mines loose too and I barely have 1,200 miles. Hmmmm I guess I'll have to investigate a little more this weekend.

Later Diesel Dragon
    03 Chevy Silverado 3500LT 4WD Ext Cab Dura/Alli Grey Metallic. ATS Dual Exaust VA Box, Electric Bed Cover with Tool Box. Spa Boost/EGT, Rancho 9000X shocks, <a href=\"http://www.msnusers.com/dieseldragonspics\" target=\"_blank\">www.msnusers.com/dieseldragonspics</a>

Talking

Dmaxalli,
    Thanks for the help, much appreciated. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dragon, please dont get paranoid over this! Typically the sound you will hear will change in gear and is very noticable. You might be expieriencing the famous 'tick' which is normal.

If you do drop a bolt or socket, you might be able to retrieve it through the tin covers on the bottom side of the bell housing. I just keep a small pocket magnet handy and havent had any problems.

IF you decide to try this and drop a bolt, you're probably screwed... once in a while a dropped bolt will stay up high enough to get a magnet onto, but more often than that it will drop behind the flexplate. Then you get to pull the trans, pull the flexplate, get the bolt out, and reinstall everything.

dmaxalliTech, the covers are on the torque converter side of the flexplate and a dropped bolt will fall on the engine side. It's really no fun trying to retrieve one!

DieselBunny, the GM bolts have an internal allen head (I've never seen a torx), and it is 8mm (but 5/16 will work, too). Except for the very early units, the bolts also have an external 15mm hex head, so a regular socket will work just fine.

At about 20,000 kms my truck blew tranny fluid all over the underside of the truck and the front of my ski boat...

The dealership said that 2 of the bolts were missing, 2 were loose and 1 tight one stress fractured the torque converter and split it open...

So it does happen.
    ==============================================<br />Stephan Mackenzie, B.C.<br />2001 CK2500HD DA SB EXT Black/Tan Loaded<br />2003 Volvo XC Wagon Loaded<br />2002 Carriage Cameo Lxi 33ft 5th Wheel<br />1996 Camaro SS 396LT4 6SPD 500HP Red/Black<br />2000 Honda RC51 Twin

Thumbs down

I am also one of the few that have had problems with the TC bolts backing out ....Kind of frustrating but the dealer fixed it up very quickly. Haven't had another problem since.
    01 GMC 2500HD LB7/Allison Ext Cab LWB
    Alberta Plate "Duramax"
    Member # 2191

Looks like the problem has been on 2001 models,has there been any confirmed cases on 2002 models?
    2002 GMC D/A ext. cab,built 01-02

saywhat,
    All the info I have gotten off this forum indicates the problem was mainly the 01. I learned trying to get the dealer to fix it before it "blows" is impossible.2 dealers turned me down under warranty.O'well, do it myself & now know which dealers to stay away from in the future.

I also had a bolt fall out and the rest were loose just last week and tranny fluid all over the place in my '01 I have 55,000 miles but soon after I also had a bearing go in the Allison don't know if it was related but it was expensive
    TST Competition Powermax (Control Mounted in Overhead)<br />ATS Level I & II<br />4\" Magnaflow muffler<br />AFE Stage II w/Outerwear