Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Im thinking of getting a crew cab instead of ext. cab

because I'm really having trouble finding an ext cab duramax truck that I like. Almost all of the ext cab trucks I find are longbed, and I don't want longbed. The other thing is that they are always beat up bad. I like the way the ext cab truck looks over the crew cab, but I found this crew cab truck and it's a really good deal. Seems like on this site most people have crew cabs. I guess it would be a lot easier with a crew cab hauling 4 sleds and 4 people on snowmobiling trips in the winter. So, talk me into it!

Jordan

Jorday:
    My old truck was an ext cab. More utility than my Dad's reg cab, but my crew cab is great. My wife talked me into it over an ext cab I was looking at (because she liked the color better and I'm glad she did. Just another facet of "you can never have too much truck".
    Get the crew cab - IMHO, you won't regret it.
    Charlie
    \'02 GMC SLT 2500HD CC SB 4X4<br />Westin Chrome Step Bars/Extang Classic Platinum Tonneau/Ameraguard sprayed bedliner<br />Bilsteins/Fumoto

johnpugh Guest

Talking

Love my crew cab!!

Really, I came out of an extended cab truck and while the room in the back was useful, getting to it was a real pain. I have two kids with one still in a child seat. With the child seat installed, the youngest had his feet constantly in the back of the front seat.

Another thing, pull into a parking place with other cars parked on both sides of you and try to let people out of the extended cab. Let's see, open one door to the left and the little suicide door to the right. Now I have a door to the left of me, a door to the right of me, a car behind me and a truck in front of me. It's called a parking lot trap. A crew cab solves this problem.

The crew cab has the room for the kids, more space for storage of things. Also, in my case, the crew cab is quieter because the wind noise of the flip-out extended cab rear windows is gone.

Later...

Thumbs up

Crewcab is only nine and a half inches longer than extended cab.

Tom

K1XV Guest

Talking

I think the extra B pillar between the front and rear doors adds to the overall rigidity of the cab reducing flexes and potential for squeaks and rattles.

A friend of mine who is a total Mercedes Benz nut and who hates SUVs loves my Crew Cab SLT GMC with Duramax and Allison. He is amazed at how comfortable the seats are, front and rear, and how much leg room there is in back.

Get the Crew Cab. You won't be sorry.

Thumbs up

I love my crew cab. I also have 2 kids, 13 and 10 and the extra room the crew cab provides is great. My previous truck was an extended cab and the change to a crew cab was on of my better ideas! The extra room makes traveling a lot more relaxing.

I have a long bed in addition. The 34 gallon tank is nice. I can travel over 600 miles between fill ups.

Go for the crew cab, you will not be sorry!

MaxRock
    \'02 2500HD, DMAX/ZF-6, LS, Onyx Black, CC/LB, 2WD, G80 Locker<br /><b>New Mods:</b><br />255x85-16 Dunlop Radial AT, Go Rhino WTW, Line-X Bedliner, factory bed Rail Caps, Bug Deflector II Hood protection<br /><b>Future Mods:</b><br />EGT/Boost gauges, exhaust

FWIW, I'll add another vote from someone who's moved from an EC 1500 to a CC 2500HD. With 2 young kids, it makes a big difference to me. On the '03 at least, the rear seat belts are also nicer and you get 3 full sets instead of 2. The turning radius is a bit of a pain at times even with only a short box but mine is used mostly on the highway.

In short, I'm very happy with the change to a CC.
    2003 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC/SB LT 4x4, Camping Mirrors, Skid Plates, Lund Cold Front, Phillips Premium bulbs, Fumoto drain valve, Mobil Delvac 1, TranSynd ATF, Line-X, MagnaFlow 4\" catback, Amsoil air, Bilstein Shocks.

Mark Heiken Guest

I went to a crew cab in 98 and have enjoyed the extra room and 4 real doors every time I'm using the rig. Passengers can get in and out of the back seat without the front door being opened. Big plus when hauling the family, snowmobilers, or customers.

Talking

Take the crew cab, the dog loves it, wife thinks it's pretty good too! [img]smile.gif[/img] I too had concerns, but they are gone now. I like the room, I like the extra doors for when I do have passangers. I like having the extra cargo area a.k.a. the back seat, to keep goodies out of the weather. I had to sleep in the back seat a few weeks ago when I went racing... not too bad.

Mike
    Mike Fultz,<br />2003 2500HD Duramax/Allison<br />2003 Harley Davidson Road King<br />SCCA FV Racing<br />Shetland Sheepdogs

Talking

My wife and I love are crewcab! It is so nice to real backdoors and comfortable seating for four adults.
    02 GMC CC Longbed DMAX ZF SPEED<br />LT PEWTER MT, RHINOLINED BED AND ROCKERS<br />AUTOMETER GAGES IN PILLAR MOUNT<br />K&N AIR FILTER, MOBIL DELVAC 1

I also upgraded to a CC vs a Xtend cab. Reason, a 3rd child in my life(15, 13 and 10 mnths). I miss my long box(try finding a c/c 2500 w/ long bed, it's not easy), but the extra few inches is fantastic, and no more complaints about the fold out windows since 'it has real windows now'.
    03 CC/D/A Shorty 4x4<br />Cat Secondary Filter, K&N Air Filter, Flowmaster Muffler, Access Roll Up Cover, Stampede Hood Protector<br />03 Trailblazer 4.2 I6<br />99 Victory Motorcycle

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot for the awesome replies guys! I really appreciate all of the opinions and information. The used truck I drove today was a really nice truck, 2002 GMC sierra HD SLT duramax, CC/SB. Only 9000 miles on it, it was in really great shape. Unfortunately, they were asking a little bit more than I wanted to pay. Since the truck was so new, it was actually more than I can get a brand new truck for because of GM discount. They were asking 34000 for the used truck. With GM discount I could can get an ext cab shortbed 2500 HD silverado LS for 32. What you have to remember in this situation is the brand new truck that I was looking at stickered for only 40k, while this crew cab SLT truck was much more than that new. I figured that I might as well go for the new one if I'm going to spend that much money.

I didn't know that the crew cab was only 9.5 inches longer than an ext cab truck, I always thought it was more.

I was thinking that although the crew cab would be really nice, I'm single, no girlfriend, no pets, and I hardly ever even drive with more than just me in the car. I know the crew cab would be fantastic for snowmobiling trips, but I wonder if I really should spend the extra money on it. I guess I'm kinda thinking out loud here, only I can decide. Only reason that I'm getting extended cab is so I can throw stuff in the back.

For right now, I'm just going to keep looking until I find just the right truck.

Thanks again for the info guys [img]smile.gif[/img]

Jordan

What I don't like about my Ext. Cab is the lack of a door post between the two doors. They do not fit tight and rattle. On a hard bump, you can see daylight at the top of the door. Wind noise is high also. Next time it will be a crew cab for me.
    \'02 White LS D/A Ext. Cab 4x4 SB<br />Bed liner by Custom Linings <br />Westin Nerf Bars<br />\'01 Yamaha Raptor ATV

David Proske Guest

I bought a 03 ext cab about a month ago. I already kinda wish I would have gone with a crew cab.

At the time I used the same reasoning as you, its only me in the truck 98% of the time. I went from a reg cab cause I haul a lot of equipment everyday to work; there was no room. As it is now I am going to put a topper on it and haul my duty gear in the back.

The way I feel now I might as well had got a crew as its not that much longer, I already spent a arm and both legs aready, and a crew is much nicer when I do need to transport the beer drinking buddies.

Just DO IT ! Get what you want, not what you'll settle for. You'll eventually regret settling. Also, GM has 0% / 60 mos. financing on ANY new GM vehicle.

Good Luck,
    txguppy
    ‘01GMC SLE 4X4 2500HD E/C D/A Pewter/Pewter <br />Michelin LTX M/S<br />Steelhorse OEM running boards<br />Roll Top Cover<br />Hadley Air Horns<br />Weathertech Floor Mats<br />Line-Xed Ranch Hand Grill Guard Amsoil 2-Stage Air Filter<br />Phantom II Detector/Jammer, Fumoto, Amsoil Engine Oil<br />Transynd Tranny Oil<br />Underseat Storage Box<br />Rancho RS9000X Shocks

Arrow

Jorday,

Crew Cab short box is the same wheel base as a Ext. Cab long box. Give or take an inch or so....

I had an EC and always wanted GM to build a SB Crew and they finally did

I too have 3 kids, ages 12 - 9 - 7. We just took a trip to NC and my 02 was very roomy and comfortable to ride in. My brother in law stands 6'3" and has plenty of room.

If you don't need it for kids and don't plan on anyone riding in the back - I WOULD STILL OPT FOR THE CREW CAB

Good Luck.

GMC
    <b>\'02 2500HD - 435 RWHP/774 LB-FT on #2 ONLY..<br />HOT Juice,VA Box,Predator,AFE Stage II,Banks 4\"<br />RS9000\'s,Deep Pan,H2\'s & Pro-Comp 33\"<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/gmc2002dmax\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a><br /><a href=\"mailto:gmc2002duramax@earthlink.net\">gmc20 02duramax@earthlink.net</a></b>

Thumbs up

***QUOTE: I was thinking that although the crew cab would be really nice, I'm single, no girlfriend, no pets, and I hardly ever even drive with more than just me in the car.***

I'm the same way, I'm the only one in the truck 99% of the time and I don't regret getting a crewcab over an ext-cab one bit. You have to pick your parking spots more carefully, but it's no big deal. Went on a fishing trip a few weeks ago with 4 other guys and it was nice that I didn't have to get out everytime someone in the back seat had to get out to take a leak or grab more beers.

Look at it this way too, if you are planning on keeping the truck for a long time you might as well go all out and get the CC. It's only ~$1500 more....and you never know, you might meet a nice gal, get hitched and have a few young-uns. If you get the CC, you won't have to upgrade. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    2001 Chevy 1500HD - 2wd/6.0/3.73

pontiac_m18 Guest

hi Jorday & let me throw in my $.02 worth. I worked at Pontiac east 7 we leased a ext. cab a couple of years back. We quickly went to a c/c when the chance came. I drove ove to Lansing area to get my 2001. I loved my truck & wish i had planned better for retirement as I had to sell it. BUT i will be getting another one & won't hesatate to buy a used D/A one. If you are still looking for a c/c. I have a salesman that can probaly hide you one in our area. Last week, someone was looking for one & he had 8-10 that he can swap for in the area. E-mail me if you want details!! G.M. discount, no problem!!Howard = howard_m18@yahoo.com

This is my first CC and first diesel...my previous 3 Chevy's were x-cab and gas...I don't think I will ever go back on either.
    Steve (Member #6089)<br /><a href=\"mailto:smbrown819@yahoo.com\">smbrown819@ya hoo.com</a><br />2002 LT 2500HD 4WD Crewcab Pewter/Graphite DuraMax/Allison<br /><a href=\"http://www.monkey.net/steve\" target=\"_blank\">(Mods and Miscellaneous Pics...Updated 08/10/03)</a>

First diesel,first CC ,wanted the long bed but would not fit in garage.I have plenty room for 2 kids a ton of fishing gear boggie boards coolers etc,or all the hunting gear and clothing i can stuff into the back.Anyone who rides in the cab,always says how roomy the cab is, get the CC you will like it.
    02 CHEVY DMAX CC 2500 LT ARE CAP BEDRUG HUSKY MATS FUMOTO DRAIN VALVE.Amsoil Air Filter