Thread: GM Cost Cutting on '03's

Angry

I'm really starting to get p/o'd about the petty cost cutting that the General has made on the 2003 trucks. Various posts here have mentioned the lack of the Cabin HVAC Air Filter and now I read that they have also deleted the underhood lamp and the Brake Controller Harness - even with the optional Towing or 5th Wheel package.

Has anybody noticed any other deletions from the 2001/2002 model spec's?

They have increased the price by 5.5% (at least here in Canada) and while I like most of the changes (new cabin, dash, Bi-Zone HVAC, Bose etc.) these stupid penny pinching measures have no place on trucks costing as much as these do.

I am seriously looking at a GMC 2003 D/A 2500HD LT CC SB, but for my $60k Cdn. I would expect all these little conveniences to be standard or at the very least part of an option package. Am I alone here
    Going2be D/A CC SB - soon I hope!<br />1972 Porsche 911<br />1997 MHC Residency RV<br />2003 VW Jetta Wagon

They axed the molding on the bed side leaving only the cab molding. Also gone is the trim decal on the rear pillar. Getting rid of those four pieces of garnish probably let GM get rid of two UAW workers.
    \'02 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD D/A <br />Black ExCab Longbed 4x4 with G80<br />Nuetral interior with power buckets<p>Westin Chrome Step Bars<br />Invincashield<br />Amsoil Two Stage Air Filter<br />Fumoto Drain Valve

yeah i noticed the lack of underhood light. what BS.

I forgot about the wiring harness, I think Ill guilt that one from the dealer
    Randy<br />2003 2500HD C/C D/A Pewter -Retrax Cover -Michelin LTX M/S 265/75E-16\'s -Smittybuilt Step Rails -Banks Exhaust -CA Hot Juice -Predator - Kennedy Headlight Harness -SPA 211

Question

How long is the harness for the underhood light? Anyone know how much it would cost?
    <b>2003 GMC 2500HD D/A SLT 4x4 CC LB! (Polo Green) </b><br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/53238125hQAlYl\" target=\"_blank\"><i>PICS HERE</i></a>

Exclamation

You'll also loose the spare tire key lock for 2003....

standard boxes then CC....it will become an option in the later part of production

[ 08-29-2002: Message edited by: Mic ]

[ 08-29-2002: Message edited by: Mic ]</p>

mine came with the spare tire lock
    Randy<br />2003 2500HD C/C D/A Pewter -Retrax Cover -Michelin LTX M/S 265/75E-16\'s -Smittybuilt Step Rails -Banks Exhaust -CA Hot Juice -Predator - Kennedy Headlight Harness -SPA 211

Question

From an article:

"The HVAC system has been completely overhauled to now include manual or electronic operated dual-zone and tri-zone air conditioning depending on cab configuration. This is a direct benefit of the trucks' new electrical architecture (more on that later) and, according to GM Full Size Truck Chief Engineer Terry Woychowski, it provides a range of up to 30 degrees difference in temperature between zones."

I wonder if they have some upgrade that moved the filters or don't require them at all,now?
    TxDoc's Photos
    Member #5547

Angry

I hate 'whinging' 'cos these are really great trucks, but why would GM go to all the trouble to revamp the HVAC system with the advantage of dual-zone temperature control (a REALLY nice feature if your better-half complains as much as mine about being "too cold" all the time ) and then delete the filters which are great if you suffer from allergies like I do.

I'm sure that even the new system needs these filters to clean the incoming air. I have them on my Bimmer and if you see them after about 25k miles, you would be amazed how much crap they catch.

Some have posted that they think the filters can still be added but I would imagine the whole ducting system has changed to accomodate the dual-zone feature. If it hasn't (can anybody confirm?) and the housing is still there for the filters then it is an easy fix. If not it stinks

My big beef is with the deletion of little things that should be standard on high-spec trucks like these, just to save a few pennies, when the price has jumped 5.5% over last year. The savings are tiny compared to the price of the truck and if GM really has to save pennies like this, then delete them from the base spec, but make them part of any upgrade trim package.

Maverick Guest

The under hood light doesn't do much anyway (I think). The other stuff should be standard.

[ 08-29-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>