Thread: Blow Out

Red face

Coming back from Denver airport last night I had a fast blow out with my RF Michelin LTX M/S 265/75.
    I have loved these tires and have no idea how this blew.
    They have 25K on them and are probably half worn through tread.
    Has anyone else had any problems like this.
    My local dealer sold me a road hazard so I think I will be ok there.
    I was plugging away at 75 mph on I25 and this was my first blowout, quite an unsettling feeling.

I will need to contact Insurance since my running board was plastered, as well as my fender flare, bumper and black bumper shroud. Aslo a light harness torn away from fog light.

BTW, I really like the jack that GMC has, lots of extension and short to get under frame. The Right front was really low to the ground after this tire disintegrated.

Mark

[ 11-18-2002: Message edited by: Tractor hauler ]

[ 11-18-2002: Message edited by: Tractor hauler ]</p>
    2007.5 GMC SLE 2500 HD LMM **SOLD**
    Owned 2006 GMC Sierra CC LLY/LBZ *2 not a D in SN* 214K Purchased 3/2010
    CC/SB/4x4 Summit White
    Owned a 2002 GMC CC LB7 CC sold with 135K
    Now 2015 GMC Crew Cab Duramax/Allison
    Custom Tool box

Mark,
    What was it like trying to maintain control of the truck with a front tire gone
    You musta cr***ed your pants
    In July, I was on I90 just west of Spokane WA, when I blew the inside right dual @ 80 mph.
    KaBoom!! Kinda got my attention in a big hurry
    It does make a big mess with all that rubber flyin' around. Ripped off my running board and mud flaps, tore out clearance light wiring, crushed my 4" exhaust pipe and smashed the molded dually fender from front to back!
    The insurance claim was over $5,000 CAN. My deductible was $300.
    Kev
    '02 GMC Sierra SLT 3500 4WD D/A CC Black/Graphite (Totally Impressed with this Truck!!!) Pulls a 24' Sooner Goosneck Cattle Trailer w/a 30,000lb Draw-Tite Flush Mount Remove-a-Ball Trailer Hitch & Hayes Lemmerz Syncronizer Brake Controller
    Mods So Far: Edge Juice, 4.61 HOT!!!,BD XMonitor, 4" Magnaflow Stainless Steel Exhaust w/5" S/S Tip, AFE Air Intake Snorkel, 3" Front Suspension Torsion Bar Levelling Kit, Cooper Discoverer S/T 255/85's, Bilstein Shocks F&R, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Helper Springs with in-cab Dual Air Command, Correctrack 1 3/4" Dually Spacers,F&R Centramatic Wheel Balancers, BD Exhaust Brake, Howes Fuel Additive, J&J S/S Millenium Running Boards w/lights, J&J S/S Headache Rack & Rails, J&J Lighted Grab Handles, Manik S/S Tail-Light Guards, GoRhino 7000 series S/S Brush Guard, PIAA Halogen Driving Lights, Lund Sun Visor, Cloud Rider F&R Mudflaps, S/S Door Handle and Tailgate Inserts, Style-Line S/S Wheel Inserts, Auto Ventshade Bugflector II, Auto Ventshade F&R Window Ventvisors, All Star Under Rail Box Liner, Duratrunk Tool Box, Catch-All F&R Floormats, Sportwing Chrome-Bolt Graphics across doors & dually fenders.
    Just another "Farm Truck"

Kev,
    There was an immediate response to try to get my foot on the brake but I fought off the urge.
    The truck went to the right and although I did not go into the right lane I was close to the line. I was in the passing lane because it was smoother. Traffic congestion was low.
    I had to hold on pretty good to keep it in the lane. I can see where someone would have a tendency to overcorrect to the opposite side.

The body man looked it over today and I noticed my horn wire and fog light wire were torn off.
    I am looking for DTA web site. Does anyone know if they Are they still in business?
    CC/SB/4x4 Summit White
    Custom Tool box

DTA: I was going to order mud flaps from them several months ago. Called them and was told that they were closing in a few days.

Tractor Hauler, back in August, I went to the local DTA dealer to order boards and was told that DTA had gone out of business. Tried accessing their web site several times and message came up "Address Not Found".
    Really liked their boards.

BOB

Thanks,
    Now for finding a new board.

Mark
    CC/SB/4x4 Summit White
    Custom Tool box

canadakev,, what did your tire look like ,i blow out a goodyear (factory) tire left inside daully at 75 in southern indy,blow out in two spots 6" apart from rim out to tread,,looks like bead broke loose,, do we have bad tires or just dumb luck,, only 26,000 miles and these tires look like there worn out
    2- 2002, 3500 cc 4x2 duramax/allisions lt 1-black 1- red ,juiced,westin tubes, husky mudflaps,custom made air scoop for allision trans,

fred,
    The whole tire was totally disintegrated. There was nothing left of it.
    The only drawback of running duals is remembering to check tire pressure. We could have a low tire and not even know it. At freeway speeds a tire with only 25psi will generate too much heat, and BAAAMMM! I'm thinking that could be why mine went.
    I wasn't running good-years. They were Firestone Firehawk A/T's, 255/85's.
    Kev
    '02 GMC Sierra SLT 3500 4WD D/A CC Black/Graphite (Totally Impressed with this Truck!!!) Pulls a 24' Sooner Goosneck Cattle Trailer w/a 30,000lb Draw-Tite Flush Mount Remove-a-Ball Trailer Hitch & Hayes Lemmerz Syncronizer Brake Controller
    Mods So Far: Edge Juice, 4.61 HOT!!!,BD XMonitor, 4" Magnaflow Stainless Steel Exhaust w/5" S/S Tip, AFE Air Intake Snorkel, 3" Front Suspension Torsion Bar Levelling Kit, Cooper Discoverer S/T 255/85's, Bilstein Shocks F&R, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Helper Springs with in-cab Dual Air Command, Correctrack 1 3/4" Dually Spacers,F&R Centramatic Wheel Balancers, BD Exhaust Brake, Howes Fuel Additive, J&J S/S Millenium Running Boards w/lights, J&J S/S Headache Rack & Rails, J&J Lighted Grab Handles, Manik S/S Tail-Light Guards, GoRhino 7000 series S/S Brush Guard, PIAA Halogen Driving Lights, Lund Sun Visor, Cloud Rider F&R Mudflaps, S/S Door Handle and Tailgate Inserts, Style-Line S/S Wheel Inserts, Auto Ventshade Bugflector II, Auto Ventshade F&R Window Ventvisors, All Star Under Rail Box Liner, Duratrunk Tool Box, Catch-All F&R Floormats, Sportwing Chrome-Bolt Graphics across doors & dually fenders.
    Just another "Farm Truck"