Thread: Electric Brake Question

I've got a 2003 GMC HD/Duramax. This year it is my turn to drive to Colorado on our annual elk hunting trip. I need to buy an electric break as we tow a trailer that is about 16' & 6000 pds loaded.

Two questions:

What break do you guys recommend?

Can I plug it directly into my truck or do I have to hard wire it?

Thanks,

it should wire to tce cabin fuse panel with the factory wireing harness that came with the truck
    its a plug style harness it you don't have it see your dealer

Do you mean the plug under the driver side dash?

Arrow

The harness should have came with the truck if it has the trailering package. The harness needs to be spliced to the brake controller, then plugged into the connector panel on the firewall, behind the E-brake pedal. There is a plastic cover over the panel that is held on by one long plastic nut. There should be a diagram attached to the OEM wire harness, as well as a 40 amp Maxi-fuse (which needs to be installed into the underhood fuse panel if you need 12V trailer power).

Search the trailering forum for more details. If you don't have the harness, you can get it at most parts stores and RV centers, or the dealer if you don't mind more $$.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

BMDMAX Guest

If you buy a Prodigy brake controller you can get a pre-made pigtail that will plug right into the controller and to the plug on the MBEC located on the drivers side floor near the ebrake. Really simple connection and the Prodigy is top notch.

I tow a 10K load regularly with mine and love the way it handles.

Smile

Thanks for the help guys!

Becarful when you wire it in, I also have an 03 and found when I turne on mt tail lamps the trailer brakes would apply. GM had a bullition on this [have to switch 2 pins] IM not back to work yet due to my sister passing away but as soon as I get back I will give you the bullition no.
    Mike
    2007 CHEVY D/A. 4 DOOR AND 6 FOOT BED

Arrow

Mike is correct. GM changed the wiring for the '03 M/Y. The '01 and '02 are the same, changes came for '03 and later.

Also, when you wire your controller, don't match the wire colors. They will likely NOT match. Match each wire's source/function according to the controller diagram, and the GM diagram. Most controller instructions describe this, but some I've seen didn't.

BMDMAX Guest

It won't get any easier than this if you don't want to hassle with wiring in a harness.

http://www.tekonsha.com/bch3025.html

They have a harness for any model year and Tekonsha's controllers work really well.

JMHO. [img]smile.gif[/img]

MIKE MOG,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this time.

To everyone else including MIke,

I took your guys advice and ordered the Prodigy from some place in Texas. I also ordered the wire harness. Hopefully it all works fine.

Thanks again for the info. I love this site.

Thank You TRPSHOOT, We could use all of the prayers we could get. Listen, I you need a the numbers for that pi let me know. I think IM going to try to go to work on Monday and I could get it for you.
    Mike
    2007 CHEVY D/A. 4 DOOR AND 6 FOOT BED

10-4, I will let you know. The brake should be here by Tuesday I hope.

Alright, you guys have humored me thus far with my elementary questions, please allow a couple more. . .

I received the Prodigy Break by Tekonsha today with the extra plug-in wiring harness for a 2003-2005 Chevy/GMC. I have a GMC 2003 HD/ Duramax that I bought in October 2002.

Question 1) Was I suppose to order the wiring harness for the 2002 since my truck was technically built in 2002?

Question 2) I spent 20 minutes or so looking at my fuse box and it looks like a relay box next to the steering wheel shaft that is covered with a black, plastic cover trying to figure out where to plug in my wiring harness. I watched the video that came with the Prodigy break and for the world, I can't find that sucker to plug into. So WHERE IS IT?

In case it matters, I looked on my original window sticker and it says that I have the heavy-duty trailering system. I assume this does mean there should be a plug-in somewhere?!!!

We leave for trip in 7 days, so if I have the wrong wiring harness, I've got to switch it out quick.

Thanks in advance.

TRPSHOOT,

If you have a 2003 then it does not matter that it was built in 2002... Most auto makers start the next year's cars in Sept/Oct of the previous year.

If you are under the hood looking for a Prodigy plug-in you are in the wrong place. The Prodigy plugs into a slot inside the truck on the firewall above the brake pedal. You need to remove a black cover (about 4"X4" in size) to expose several plug locations. I believe the Prodigy goes into the upper left location in the box. (I don't think it fits in the other locations).

I hope this helps. It has been a few years since I installed my so my memory may not be perfect.

Don
    2003 GMC 3500 SLE, D/A, EC, LB, 2WD, White/Pewter, DeeZee boards, 5th wheel

Arrow

Yes, a 2003 built in 2002 is still a 2003 (thanks Don). The panel you need to plug into is inside the cab, on the firewall behind the E-brake pedal. It's not the fuse panel at the end of the dash, and not under the hood. You will have to get your head between the seat and brake pedal to see it, lighting helps if you don't have the courtesy lamps on the floor. If you have harness ready in hand, just lay your right shoulder on the floor board and install it, it only takes a minute. There will be a long black plastic nut in about the middle of the black plastic cover. Remove the nut (just turn it like a regular nut to remove, and just push it to reinstall), and remove the cover. The recepticle for the plug is at the top left of the block. There are a couple empty recepticles, but only one will accept the harness, so don't force it. There is no diagram on the cover, like the fuse blocks, but one should be with the OEM harness, which you don't need at this point. I just did a 2005 a few weeks ago, and it was the same installation as my '01. The only difference is the wire connections within the harness, but most people won't notice that.

Again I thank you guys. I did find that plastic cover next to the e-break but had no idea if that is where it went. Very good, I will try the top left one. Thanks again for the help.

Installed the break yesterday and plugged the harness in, it works like a champ, very painless installation, less than 10 minutes. The longest part was I had to squeeze my fat rear-end on the floor and hold my mouth right to get the plastic cover to snap back in so I could replace the plastic nut.

Thanks again to everyone.

Kennedy Guest

When I do an install, I use the GM harness and splice to the Tekonsha unit as I typically use the "crew cab cubby" to mount the control. If you have to ask, you likely have an extended cab and an air bag switch mounted there.

Prodigy and harness in stock most all the time here...