Thread: Grease?

Question

What kinda of grease do you recommend for the front end?

If you are playing in the mud and water Shell sells a Red Ram grease that is extremely tacky. If I get it on my skin, soap and water will not get it off. I have to wash it off with diesel and wash the diesel off with soap and water. However it does not have the proper NLGI code. I used it in my previous truck for 750,000km and only had to replace the upper ball joints at 425,000 and the pitman at 600,000. When playing off road the factory grease and conventional greases got contaminated with mud and water, the Red Ram didn't get contaminated. I expect that and the regular greasing gave me the longevity.

If the spec concerns you for warranty reasons they also have Red Ram Blue Velvet that is nearly as tacky. It has worked quite well in my new truck except I am getting a little play in the inner tie rods, I think the rods are a little weeker and not a grease problem as it repels the water and mud also.
    White \'01 Chev Duramax/ZF-6 Ext.Cab 3500 LS 4x4<br />Cooper LT245/75R16 Explorer S/T on<br />American Racing D-8<br />Active Wheel Balancers<br />Synthetic Front to Back<br />Warn Transformer & HS9500i on Multimount<br />Underseat Storage Bin<br />Hi Idle Mod<br />4 Headlight Mod

I use either Mobil 1 or the Amsoil in the silver and red tube. Regular service is going to be the key. Be sure not to over service and blow the seals.
    TDPmember#6216 <a href=\"http://www.pbase.com/akdmax\" target=\"_blank\"><b>My Pics</b></a><br />2002 Storm Gray CC SLE, D-max/Alli, Retrax bed cover, J&J Millenium boards and mud flaps, Weathertech weatherflectors, Catch-All liners, MITO DVD, Panasonic LA95, High Idle, Hard wired radar detector, lightforce 240blitz driving lights.<i> <a href=\"mailto:akdmax@hotmail.com\">akdmax@hotmail. com</a> </i>

AKDmax,

What do you mean by don’t blow the seals? You want to exchange the old grease for new grease for two main reasons:

1. Remove moisture
    2. Remove dirt

IMHO

LanduytG Guest

If you are using the proper grease you do not need to worry about all the dirt and water.
    Greg

Talking

My recommendation:

<b>

MNBowTie,
    You live in Southern or Northern MN?
    Read the post by slapshot44 in this topic: http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cg...=7&t=002634&p=
    He pretty much spells out why ball joints and such fail due to over-greasing. I think he makes a good point eh'.
    TDPmember#6216 <a href=\"http://www.pbase.com/akdmax\" target=\"_blank\"><b>My Pics</b></a><br />2002 Storm Gray CC SLE, D-max/Alli, Retrax bed cover, J&J Millenium boards and mud flaps, Weathertech weatherflectors, Catch-All liners, MITO DVD, Panasonic LA95, High Idle, Hard wired radar detector, lightforce 240blitz driving lights.<i> <a href=\"mailto:akdmax@hotmail.com\">akdmax@hotmail. com</a> </i>