Thread: How to get to back of radio and XM antenna wire... ?

Anyone know how to remove the radio for a 3500. This is the factory XM-radio version. I want to be able to install an second antenna for slide-in camper and I have to get to the rear of the radio.

Thanks !
    Ron Richardson - On the road...<br /><br />- Chevy Silverado 3500 ExtCab D/A BLACK<br />- Edge Juice / K&N AirFilter<br />- Rancho 9000X Shocks<br />- RideRite AirBags<br />- Alpenlite 1100 Camper<br />- DataStorm 2-Way Internet Satellite Dish<br />- FullTime RV\'er

I'll answer my own question... I went by a car stereo dealer today and they told me that the XM-Radio module is behind the glove compartment.

If you squeeze in the sides of the glove box it will tilt down and you can see it up under there on the right.

Careful when you tilt down the glove box... the contents will fall all over. Found out the hard way... DUH !

He couldn't exactly help with the antenna but he'll be checking on Monday.

Ron
    Ron Richardson - On the road...<br /><br />- Chevy Silverado 3500 ExtCab D/A BLACK<br />- Edge Juice / K&N AirFilter<br />- Rancho 9000X Shocks<br />- RideRite AirBags<br />- Alpenlite 1100 Camper<br />- DataStorm 2-Way Internet Satellite Dish<br />- FullTime RV\'er

Thumbs up

Ron, would appreciate what you find out re what kind of antenna you'll need to get out and around the camper, brand name and where it might be available - thanks - Murf
    2003 GMC 2500 D/A SLT Extendcab<br />28\' Splash TT<br />8\'LiteCraft Slidein/popup

Question

Hey Ron, any luck with that antenna deal? Murf
    2003 GMC 2500 D/A SLT Extendcab<br />28\' Splash TT<br />8\'LiteCraft Slidein/popup

Question

Hey Ron, any luck with that antenna deal? Murf

I'm striking out with the antenna and camper...

It appears that the factory antenna connection is not standard, that there is no way to easily switch between camper antenna and factory antenna, or to extend the antenna cable that goes to the factory rooftop antenna.

I've talked to some very knowledgable auto stereo guys and they do not think that a clean solution is possible.

Ron

Angry

Was afraid you were going to say that - I'm still pokin around with it a little - meeting with radio shack guy sometime soon to look it over - I'll let you know if anything positive comes from it.

Do you know is the antenna plug in right there at the bottom of the xm unit with the two wires going into a connector?

Murf

Murf,

I also saw that two wire connector and could not figure out how to disconnect (disconnect to see if xm radio cutout).

Any further progress on "our" xm antenna issue ?

Ron

Unhappy

Ron, I gave up on it and just run my Delphi system thru the cassette when I've got the camper on - will be switching out to the tow behind soon so will be able to go with factory job then. It was just taking too much time researching a 'clean' fix and I had the Delphi so thats what I'm using - if you have a cassette in the camper or aux plugs on your stereo the Delphi is a very good choice - I am able to use the same unit in my house, my truck, my trailer and even used it in a boom box - all one reciever with two different saddles. Murf

I'm in the middle of a solution. I hope to have this completed this weekend. I have a work-in-progress website that's showing the steps.

http://www.ron-richardson.com/xmradio/antenna.htm

Still not quite sure how I'll run the wires. The wire that comes with the antenna is 17ft long. I plan on mounting the antenna to the side of the camper near the front and have it no higher than the A/C unit. I would like to run the wires in through the camper wall and down and back out near the bottom front and then into the truck. I'm thinking of getting an extension cable which would then give a clean disconnect. I'll probably just run the wire in through the passenger window until I experiment with this.

Ron, glad to see your still working on this. I'll be putting the slide in sometime this summer and would love to do what your doing. Go ahead and get detailed in so far as the antenna hook up goes as I don't see how you can eliminate the stock hook up and add one for the camper -(because I switch back and forth from the tow behind in winter and slide in in summer I don't want to permanently disable the stocker) unless your idea is to completely disable the stock antenna set up - which I assume you will be doing? I'm easily confused so I'll eagerly await your fix - can't go without David Laurence (xm130)!! Murf