Thread: tips for changing rear diff fluid

A couple of years ago there was quite a bit of discussion about changing the rear diff fluid. Search facility doesn't find anything because the messages may be too old. Can anyone give me tips on changing the diff fluid? What is the recommended change interval? Anyone using the Amsoil series 2000 75W90 gear lube?
    Thanks.
    2002 Silverado 2500HD,D/A,LS,ext cab,4x4,pewter,Truxedo cover,Line-X liner,Lund running boards,Bilsteins on all 4 corners, Air Lift air bags, Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller<br />2001 Honda Goldwing, pearl blue, 118 hp<br />2001 Coachmen Royal 32 ft travel trailer, double slide-outs<br />Toy Trax bike loader

Heartbeat Hauler Guest

Change it after the first 500 miles of towing, then as the manual suggests. I would use the GM oil for warranty purposes. This is not to say that any aftermarket products are bad, there just some wierd stuff about specifications as per GM. That's my $.02 worth.
    JP

not sure if mechanical tips are what you are looking for, but consider these:

1) get a 6 or 7 foot piece of tubing and pour the gear oil from a standing/kneelig position at the side of the truck. This is the easiest way to refill.

2) checkout gmpartsdirect.com or dmaxallitech (member here) to get the gm syn fluid (aka grape juice)

no warranty concerns and it is good stuff.
    2003 GMC 2500HD SLT CC D/A 4x4, <br />J/K Harness and Phillips bulbs<br />Amsoil air, RS9000x shocks, Hill levelling keys

Originally posted by Heartbeat Hauler:
    Change it after the first 500 miles of towing, then as the manual suggests. I would use the GM oil for warranty purposes. This is not to say that any aftermarket products are bad, there just some wierd stuff about specifications as per GM. That's my $.02 worth.
    JP
    You would think that GM would have a service interval for changing diff fluid... I havent seen one Anywho, just like H/H says, after 500 miles, then I would go around every 50k after that
    2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD CC Shorty
    Dyno Proven - 800 rwhp on fuel only.
    Trans to hold it and a big ol S400 turbo feeding it.

I change my fluid every 25K and use Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube. The only tech tip I can offer is to invest in the top hand pump for the oil, otherwise it can be a pain.

Phil B.
    Correct Profile: Member # 6500, approx., Member since June 2001
    2001 CC, SB, D/A Summit White

This is a little off topic. But I have heard some folks say that the GM grape juice was really Royal Purple Syn Lube...Anyone have a comment or can confirm that?

As for changing I changed at 500 miles and went with the Amsoil. Changed again at 3500 because of a LONG pull from Georgia to Wisconsin. (Just made me feel better). I will probably change again at 10k then at every 25-30 k after that.
    USE A PUMP!! Trying to puor that stuff is a PAIN!

Mike
    2003 Chevy 2500HD D/A Ext cab 4x4.<br />Straight piped, Other mods coming soon!<br />Have a quad? Check out <a href=\"http://www.atvnation.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.atvnation.com</a>

Changed mine at 500, 15K, and 30K with the Amsoil series 2000 75W-90. I know a little excessive but what the heck. I also added the Mag Hi-Tech diff cover at 15K which makes changing the fluid a snap and almost doubles the capacity.
    02 Chev 2500HD D/A 2WD C/C S/B White/Graphite LS/Juice/KD Exh/Gauges/Mag-HyTek Diff Cvr<br />FB2600 Weekend Warrior<br /><a href=\"http://home.earthlink.net/~k-tuttle/\" target=\"_blank\">Various Pics</a><br /><a href=\"http://home.earthlink.net/~oildealer\" target=\"_blank\">Amsoil Products</a>

I changed mine at 1K, and I'll do it again at 50K (and then every 50K after that). I'm running Amsoil too.
    2002 Chevy 2500HD CC SB; Westers PCM; PIAA eXtreme Whites; SUVLights headlight harness; PIAA airdam with PIAA fogs; Undercoated; PowerFlow mudflaps; Warn steps; Jeraco cap; Rhino; \"Green\" keys; 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers; Rancho RS9000x; Amsoil

Also if you tow should be useing 80w/140 syn. Was just at my dealer and he uses Mobil Syn gear lube in his shop.
    \'02 3500 SLT D/A, vanAaken Smart Box E, Kennedy 4\" exhaust, Amzoil filter, Delvac 1, 34\' Carriage LS, Pullrite hitch, 225/70Rx19.5, Trailair Fifthwheel pin box.

Maybe Im just blind and missed it, but on GMpartsdirect.com it lists "1 unit" for a bottle of the rear diff fluid. This is just 1 quart correct? So we would need 4+ bottle of this stuff for a change? Thanks
    2003 Chevy 2500HD EC-SB Dmax/ZF6

VA_Dmax,

You are correct. One unit is one quart, and you need four quarts. When I ordered the heavier gear oil (85W-140), their minimum order was a case containing 6 quarts.

You might give dmaxalliTech a call on this subject. You can find his e-mail on several posts.

Don
    2003 GMC 3500 SLE, D/A, EC, LB, 2WD, White/Pewter, DeeZee boards, 5th wheel

mark45678 Guest

Exclamation

I know changing your rear end fluid a 500~1000 miles sounds early but I had ALOT of fine metal in the lube! plus I would like to add my .02 take your truck for a 5 mile ride then drain it right after ,this will keep all the bad sh*t up in the oil rather then let it settle out....a pump is a plus also!

was reading were va max said you need 4+ quarts to fill rear end . just wondering you drain from bottom plug, then fill at plug located on rear cover untill it's coming out of plug hole correct?
    03 GMC D/A ex cab short bed, AFE Stage 2 , kennedy 4 inch pipes.Juice attitude

max out,

You are correct. The bottom hole for draining. (Make sure you warm up the differential by driving several miles first). The rear hole about 1/2 way up the back is for refilling.

You fill until it comes out of the fill hole, or just slightly below the fill hole. It took me 3.9 quarts to refill mine, not 4+.

NOTE: There is a magnet on the drain hole plug. Clean it of metal shavings and re-use.

Don
    2003 GMC 3500 SLE, D/A, EC, LB, 2WD, White/Pewter, DeeZee boards, 5th wheel

Very simple. Remove the drain plug and let it drain. I like to jack up one wheel at a time for about 15-30 minutes to get out any fluid in the axles as well. Use one of those small fluid pumps to put the fluid back in. You can get them very cheaply at harbor freight, etc. After filling up go do a few figure eights and come back and check level again. I changed mine at 5k and added a Magnetic Super Plug drain plug. The magnet on this thing is very strong. It will catch anything in the oil for sure. Its well worth $20.00 I used the Amsoil fluid. http://www.superplug.com

[ 10-11-2003, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Cliffee ]
    2003 Chevy 2500HD LT CC/DA, LineX, AmsoilBypass & 2 Stage Air, Superplug Drain Plug, Raycor 660S Pre/OEM, Westin Nerfs.