Thread: Unusual tire ware Chevy vs Ford

Question

Has anyone noticed that the duramax wares tires faster then a comparable Ford? I have two buddies with fords and the same BFG all terrain and they say there tires last something like 60,000 and I don

Your Ford friends are probably getting alot more mileage from their tires because they dont have nearly the tire smoking, posi strip, pavement melting capabilities of your Dmax .
    I generally find that Fords(or any SFA) truck will wear tires out quicker than a IFS truck. Cant really compare apples to oranges on tire wear.... Too many different variables. Driving style/habits, load range, truck usage, highway driving vs. in town, have a much bigger play on tire longevity then anything. I know people with Firestone Steeltex'es that have gotten almost double the mileage of mine. I run the BFG's and this is my first set....I dont know yet if they will be my last.....All I know is I havent done a single smoke show with these tires....(my Steeltex tires probably did 20 miles without moving one foot down the road ) ...And they made it to 29K these BFGs better make it to at least 50K. Rotate your tires, and keep them up to proper psi, and try to drive with one foot if you catch my drift
    2002 Dmax, A few 6.5\'s, And a 6.2 <br />Gmanjr96@aol.com

I've already got 40,000+ miles on my Dunlops. They still have probably 10,000 left on them.

Truck has 48,000 on it. Original brakes still too.

Cool

The answer is even more simple..........
    F*rds spend much of their time on a TOW-TRUCK!!!!
    Tom
    03 GMC 2500 H/D C/C S/B D/A<br />03 Venture....wife\'s taxi<br />69 Camaro Pro Street/ N.M.C.A.<br />96 Caprice 9C1-not quite stock(for sale)<br />trex845@optonline.net

My 4wd Tahoe pulled 80,000 out of a set of 285 BFG All Terrains & still had rubber.

Put a set of 295's on my Dmax & got 25,000 down to the wear markers. Tire dealer got BFG to knock 40% off next set. Now have 10,000 on the new set & they also are wearing fast.

Don't get it but the rubber compound seems to be different. Done a little 4 wheelin on the same roads as with my Tahoe but the rubber on the 295's comes off in chunks.

Billy
    Black 2002<br />2500 HD 4x4 Short Box Crew Cab<br />Duramax/Allison w LT Package<br />Pioneer Head Unit w Fosgate Sub & Working Onstar<br />Ranch Hand Frnt. Bumper<br />BF Goodrich A/T 295\'s<br />I LOVE MY TRUCK!<br />NO TICK

I've got 54,000 on the stock goodyears and it looks like they will go 60 or so.
    This is because I bought a set of Dunlops about 3 months ago from tire rack, the way to make a set of tires last forever apparently is to have their replacements waiting
    2001 C3500 Charcoal Grey, Lotsa Putco stainless stuff, CB with 250 watt amp, TST Competition box, 600 watt inverter