Thread: Quick trailer question.

Question

I've got a 6000# tandem axle car trailer that hasn't had the brakes used in many years. I just got a brake controller. Should I pull the wheels and sand the drums? Will the actuators work?

Hoot,
    Pull the drums you may find that you will have to replace the shoes and have the drums cut from too much rust. Also check the wheel bearings and repack or replace if needed. I think you can check the operation of the brakes with the drums off (I have never had a trailer with electric brakes,only surge type).Hope this helps.
    Tom
    2002 GMC K3500 Crew cab D/A SLT<br />Member# 7985<br />Kennedy headlight booster,Amsoil air filter,Line-X bedliner,Retrax,Alcoa Hot Shot\'s<br />Pulls a Myco triaxle boat trailer-like it\'s not there (11500 lbs.)

The electric brakes work off an "electromagnet" principal. There is a coil that energizes and becomes a magnet. The coil is atracted to the drum facing it and then activates the shoes accordingly. The amount of voltage controlled to the magnet/coil controls the agressiveness of the brakes. The brake controller does that.

Thus, the cleaner and more efficient the materials used are, the more responsive the entire system will be.

As NJDMAX said, do the bearings, drums, and check to see if shoes/springs are needed. The cost of electric brake parts is relatively low. Which is why they're so popular.

You'll never be sorry if your brakes are working properly.

good luck

w/t
    2001 black truck, powerful engine,<br />pneumatic tires (4), <br />2-way glass, fully-upholstered inside seating, 12volt dc lighting, one-man steering wheel,interior heating, wipers, aftermarket 8-track...more.

Smile

Thanks, looks like a little weekend project coming up. Just picked up a Tekonsha Prodigy. A little overkill but I like the best

Maverick Guest

Hoot,
    You'll like the prodigy. If it stops 51' of trailer with 3 vehicles on it, it will do the job for you. When you do the brakes and find you need shoes or any of the magnetic parts, check the price on the whole assembly. You can usually get the whole unit for 30-60 bucks. Shoes alone where 40-50 bucks. It is faster to cut the wires and take off 4 nuts and replace the whole thing instead of trying to replace parts. They all come pre assembled and just bolt on and hook 2 wires up. Adjust the brakes from the back side (turn the star from bottom to the top to tighten-both sides) and you are ready to roll. You will have piece of mind that everything is new and in working order and you won't have to worry about a corroded spring breaking inside in a month. I have 4 trailers totaling 18 wheels with electric brakes so I think I have done this a few times. Good luck.

[ 05-23-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>