Thread: Anyone running on-board air? Or on-board welders?

Question

I need to make some mods to the truck in upcoming months including at least OBA and maybe an on-board welder. Anyone out there running either of these on a Duramax?
    Brian<br /><br />-<a href=\"http://www.lonestar4x4.org/Albums.asp\" target=\"_blank\">2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE CC SB D/A 4x4</a><br />-1985 GMC Jimmy 4x4 1-ton off-road beast sporting 42\" TSLs<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.lonestar4x4.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.lonestar4x4.org</a>

SparkyTx, started to look into an onboard air compressor and still need to get info back from shop. I am looking into having a PTO added to the Allison and running a air compressor that will supply at least 5.7cfm @ 90psi. This amount of air should allow use of pneumatic tools, and fill tires quickly. Will respond when info is complete.
    2003 GMC 2500HD SLT D/A 4X4 White 70 gal aux tank, Westin lighted Running Boards, Bilstein Shocks, White Covermaster shell

I tried this using an old a/c compressor. I use a self oiling York on my landcruiser but I couldn't get that style to fit with my dual alt set up so I tried a regular a/c compressor mounted down low on the passenger side of the engine. It siezed up after about three tire changes. I put an inline oiler in but it just makes a mess of my tools and I hate filling up tires with it so I yanked it out of the truck.

There is an after market unit made in B.C. somewhere. The link is www.vmac.ca It is insane, 70cfm and 175 psi, I think the price is insane as well.

I found some underhood welders and air compressors when I did searchs on www.google.com
    I am still trying to find a good setup for underhood generator.

I noticed on the air compressors the choices were either electric, hydrolic, pto or belt driven.
    www.onboardair.com
    www.getec.com
    there are more sites if you need help.
    <a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/theghost6600\" target=\"_blank\">http://photos.yahoo.com/theghost6600</a><br />2003 GMC 3500 Duramax 400 miles<br />2001 GMC 3500 Duramax Crew Warn 15k winch 62000 miles<br />1994 GMC 2500HD 454 Ext. 166000 miles For Sale!(Sold) <br />1989 GMC 3500 350 Refrigerator truck 212500 miles<br />2002 Polaris 700 545 miles

The best http://www.vmac.ca/ But not the cheapest!!
    2003 GMC 2500HD SB CC SLT D/A

I've got an underhood welder on my Blazer (not on the DMax). It's an old Mobi-weld that requires high (and variable set) idle. On the Blazer, for a good weld, the engine has to be around 1900. The welder was also on my previous 4x4 and due to different pulley reductions, I had to be up around 2300rpm. So it may not be a good option for these trucks until GM figures out how to give us a variable high idle.

--Rob
    2002 GMC K2500HD D/A SLE SB EC<br />Banks Stinger TLC System, exhaust brake<br />Lucerix mirrors<br />Deep Allison trans. pan, TransSynd<br />Armaguarded box<br />Hijacker 5th wheel hitch<br />Redline TA 1200 brake controller<br />LT265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer A/T 10-ply tires

How bout 100 amp Ford alt that uses external voltage regulator.Don't use a regulator. Large terminal on back of alt is for + electrode holder purchased from weld supply house. Small terminal is for power w/a switch to turn it on. Grnd=Grnd.
    Use gas pedal or install variable cable to control amps. What works well is a shifter on a 10 speed bicyle. You can also get quick disconnects for jumper cables to hook up leads
    (ussually seen on tow trucks).Pick up alt at junk yard for $15. It works and you will have 100amps +-. It also keeps welder seperate from your trucks electrical system.
    92 GMC std cab C2500, Kennedy high flow injectors,port matched, Banks exhaust & gauges, intercooler, 97 cooling, Turbo Master.A means for a Toy

Originally posted by cruzer:
    Use gas pedal or install variable cable to control amps. What works well is a shifter on a 10 speed bicyle. You can also get quick disconnects for jumper cables to hook up leads
    (ussually seen on tow trucks).Pick up alt at junk yard for $15. It works and you will have 100amps +-. It also keeps welder seperate from your trucks electrical system.
    I asked on this board some time ago about using a throttle cable to give me variable idle, and the consensus was that it wasn't very practical for our trucks.

--Rob
    2002 GMC K2500HD D/A SLE SB EC<br />Banks Stinger TLC System, exhaust brake<br />Lucerix mirrors<br />Deep Allison trans. pan, TransSynd<br />Armaguarded box<br />Hijacker 5th wheel hitch<br />Redline TA 1200 brake controller<br />LT265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer A/T 10-ply tires

I'm a Vmac fan as well.

A bit biased perhaps, I know the company founders. A tremendous amount of engineering has gone into their products.
    2002 Chev 2500HD, D-Max/Alli, X-Cab Short Box, LT, Black/Graphite, Hot Juice from JK, Back Country steps, Michelin LTX. Not sure if its a mid-life crisis or second childhood but it sure is fun.

Would like to take a look at VMAX products, but was unable to get a connection with the web link provided. Is there a way to contact from the U.S.?
    2003 GMC 2500HD SLT D/A 4X4 White 70 gal aux tank, Westin lighted Running Boards, Bilstein Shocks, White Covermaster shell

Located at
    1333 Kipp Rd
    Nanaimo, BC, Canada
    K9X 1R3

1-888-241-2289
    2002 Chev 2500HD, D-Max/Alli, X-Cab Short Box, LT, Black/Graphite, Hot Juice from JK, Back Country steps, Michelin LTX. Not sure if its a mid-life crisis or second childhood but it sure is fun.

mdrag Guest

Arrow

Originally posted by ryeguy:
    ...So it may not be a good option for these trucks until GM figures out how to give us a variable high idle.

--Rob
    ryeguy,

The Dmax high idle CAN be reprogrammed for a different RPM setting using a Tech2 to change the default settings. For example, you could program the SET RPM for 1250 RPM and the RESUME RPM for 1800. Your choices will have to fall within a certain allowable range. You will not have a variable high idle though. I'll check my notes and post them.

mdrag Guest

Arrow

ryeguy,

Here is a link to an old topic on using the TECH2 to reprogram the high idle settings..

I recently had my Tech2 program updated (THANKS Kennedy!!!) and have not checked to see if anything has changed. Here is the procedure that I posted in a previous thread:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-b...c&f=7&t=004536

1) Select the Diagnostics option from the Main menu.
    2) Select the Model Year from the Vehicle ID menu.
    3) Select the LD Truck, MPV, Incomplete option from the Vehicle ID menu.
    4) Select the Powertrain option from the System Selection menu.
    5) Select the Engine type from the Vehicle ID menu.
    6) Select the Transmission type from the Vehicle ID menu.
    7) Select the Special Functions option from the Powertrain menu.
    8) Select the PTO options from the Special Functions menu. The Current PTO settings screen will be displayed.
    9) Press the Change Options key and then select the desired PTO Operating Mode.
    10) Select F1 : Preset PTO Speed Control

Change the necessary parameters:

PTO Fast Idle Option Pre set
    PTO Max. Engine Speed 2200* RPM (max 3100)
    PTO Stand by Speed 800-850* RPM (max 1300)
    PTO Set Speed 1250* RPM (max PTO Max. Engine Speed)
    PTO Resume Speed 1700* RPM (max PTO Max. Engine Speed)
    PTO Max. Engage Speed 1000* RPM
    PTO Engine Shutdown No
    PTO Engage Relay No
    PTO Feedback No

The above *RPM values are guidelines/factory settings. Be careful setting the MAX ENGINE SPEED, When the PTO settings are initially read, the PTO Max. Engine Speed setting may show a value of 6000+ rpm and you don't want it that high for obvious reasons ask Kennedy about that

I've noticed that when I change RPM settings, they do not take effect until the ignition is cycled on/off. This caused some head scratching...
    ===========================================

For example, if you change the PTO Max Engine Speed to 3100 RPM, you could set PTO STANDBY to a max of 1300 RPM ('01 trucks), PTO SET to a max of 3100 RPM, and PTO RESUME to a max of 3100 RPM. Good luck.

mdrag

Thanks MDrag, but I would want variable idle with an on-board welder. When-ever we use the welder on the Blazer, we're fine-tuning it by ~100-200rpm increments to get the correct heat for the weld. You could change the 2 high idle presets, but then you'd have to assume you'll be using the same rod welding the same thickness steel the same way...

FYI, an on-board welder is not cheap to run. The engine is working hard, and you go through a lot of fuel. We went through $15 in fuel to fix 2 4x4's in camp one year.

--Rob

Buck Guest

I found this available where I work!
    http://www.monroetruck.com/Powerbox.asp