Thread: Transfer case leak repair?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Putty redone by dealer

Well the t-case started leaking again, drips all over driveway and dirt sticking to the back of the truck and shell. Crawled under and the JB weld was still in place and didn't have a hole bored thru it like I thought it would, so I touched the blob and it moved. Unpeeled it from the case, I guess the fluid forced it off and started leaking again. So I took it back to the dealer for my free fix because it hadn't been 12 months since the last time. Also needed the rear pinion seal replaced for the second time in 99k miles.

Service writer tells me that GM wants them to use a new putty and the truck has to sit over the weekend with a heater nearby (shoplight) to dry due to cold wet weather. We'll see what happens. If this doesn't work I don't think I'll take it back to them again, too much hassle to have the truck gone. Think I'll just keep doing this putty stuff bu do it myself a couple times a year. BTW the service writer told me no one has come back again after having this putty put on their case.

Matt
    mattb5150@hotmail.com

1993 K2500 HD ext.cab 4x4 - SOLD

2003 GMC K2500HD SLT EXTRA CAB/SB DMAX/ALLI, Bilsteins, Sulastic Shackles, Pitman & Idler braces, KD Headlight Harness, CAT filtration, Lift pump w/KD harness, Denali Door handles, Yukon exterior mirrors

2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Stoopider FAST

1996 VW Passat TDI 48mpg - SOLD

Mattb, there is a broken clip inside the TC that is wearing the whole in the case.

The fix is a new rear case half and clip. I would have the dealer do the repair right.

There are trucks out there that are destroying transfer cases because they are loosing fluid through these wear holes. It is more of a problem than people think.
    2003 Chev 2500HD LT D/A EC LB Pewter, 2005 Cardinal 27RK, my other 6.6L, 1967 Chevelle SS

SS I know about the shaft wearing thru the case, GM will not fix this and I'm not going to pay the dealer $1000 to replace the rear case half I can't afford that.

Matt B.
    mattb5150@hotmail.com

1993 K2500 HD ext.cab 4x4 - SOLD

2003 GMC K2500HD SLT EXTRA CAB/SB DMAX/ALLI, Bilsteins, Sulastic Shackles, Pitman & Idler braces, KD Headlight Harness, CAT filtration, Lift pump w/KD harness, Denali Door handles, Yukon exterior mirrors

2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Stoopider FAST

1996 VW Passat TDI 48mpg - SOLD

Matt, sorry about your problems.

Have you checked with a regular repair shop? I just think it will only get worse.

I am fortunate I have mechanical skills so I would fix my own, if you have those skills or know someone who does, that's another option. I don't think it's all that difficult to replace the case half, and a lot cheaper to do it yourself.

Good luck.
    2003 Chev 2500HD LT D/A EC LB Pewter, 2005 Cardinal 27RK, my other 6.6L, 1967 Chevelle SS