Thread: Transfer case leak repair?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Only if it's new. From the afore mentioned article: "GM wants to sell the bulk of its assets to a new company and leave behind unprofitable assets and other liabilities such as product-related lawsuits... 'New GM' will not assume liability for already pending claims against the automaker and those people will still be forced to seek compensation from 'Old GM.'."

Ok dash my hopes. Anyway it appears by July 10, 2009 that if GM does not get the bankruptcy court to agree to give all the equipment, robots etc. to the New GM, Barry is going to get upset and slam his bedroom door on any future funding for GM and GM will be gone.

Yea I know it will not happen because the U.S. bailed out GM and will not going to let them go under. The U.S. bailing out GM was a huge mistake and in my opinion and still is.

Thanks Hawker,

Any idea of part numbers for the retention clip and gasket?

Matt
    mattb5150@hotmail.com

1993 K2500 HD ext.cab 4x4 - SOLD

2003 GMC K2500HD SLT EXTRA CAB/SB DMAX/ALLI, Bilsteins, Sulastic Shackles, Pitman & Idler braces, KD Headlight Harness, CAT filtration, Lift pump w/KD harness, Denali Door handles, Yukon exterior mirrors

2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Stoopider FAST

1996 VW Passat TDI 48mpg - SOLD

Default part numbers

Best if you call the dealer with your vin number. From there they can look up you transfer case. The boot clips and gaskets differ on a few of them. Lucky I was at the dealer I bought the parts over the counter and carried them to the mechanic saved me naywhere form 15% -30% parts markup.

Bought the new case half and had it installed today. I have the old case half if anyone would like to have it welded.

Matt
    mattb5150@hotmail.com

1993 K2500 HD ext.cab 4x4 - SOLD

2003 GMC K2500HD SLT EXTRA CAB/SB DMAX/ALLI, Bilsteins, Sulastic Shackles, Pitman & Idler braces, KD Headlight Harness, CAT filtration, Lift pump w/KD harness, Denali Door handles, Yukon exterior mirrors

2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Stoopider FAST

1996 VW Passat TDI 48mpg - SOLD

Arrow

I received an email from a 2500HD owner recently who's transfer case also suffered from the wear-through leak failure. He had read this thread, and ordered a replacement rear case half from one of the vendors mentioned - along with the new aftermarket part that will prevent the wear-through from re-occurring.

Problem was, his truck was not powered by a Duramax - his truck had a gas engine. The gas powered trucks use a 261/263 transfer case, but have a different rear case half because the rear driveshaft yoke is smaller (probably a 1350 u-joint, instead of the 1410 used behind the diesel).

Just an FYI....

Jim

The case of the wear is from a keeper that is attached to the oil pump that is in the tcase it vibrates and cases a hole in the case the fix is a new half and a readvised keeper to correct the concern or problem

Anyone who used JB Weld on the transfer case, I'd like to know how long you've been running like that and how long do you think that fix will last?

I spotted a leak on the garage floor and started watching it for a while and finally last week-end found the wear thru hole about say 1/8" wide and 1/8" long. Needed to use the truck, so I went for the JB weld fix. I bought the one that said it's good to 600 degrees F. so I know it won't turn loose because of heat. I cleaned the area with denatured Alcohol and use an old tooth brush on my electrice tooth brush. Kept reapplying the Alcohol while running the tooth brush over the area till it was nice and shiny. I then took a dime and ground it across to where it would fit in the area, thinking it would supply some reinforcement in the long direction of the dime agaist where the oil pump tab was wearing thru. I stuck it on with the JB weld and then apply liberal amounts of JB weld to fill in the area and let it sit up for 24 hours. You have to know it's there to even see it, it looks really good. The tensil strength of the JB weld is shown as 3600 lbs. so it should hold the dime in place and seal the hole, I think for a long time. I'll continue to run it that way until I'm sure it will hold up under heat up and cool down cycles. I don't know off the top of my head what the coeffecent of thermal expansion difference between the steel repair and the magnesium case is that's the unknown factor for me. Gonna have to look that up. If it will stand a few million cycles without failure, then I'll probably let Kennedy put one of his inserts in there and really know I've solved the problem. Again has anyone had a failure of the JB Weld fix? What epoxy is GM using on those replacement items?
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.