Thread: auto to manual hubs

Another question from a newbie. I am getting an 82 K/20 4x4 from a friend. It has the auto locking hubs. I don't think there is anything wrong with them, but I have never been a fan of auto hubs in general. Plus I have a brand new set of manual hubs in the garage. I will be pulling the hubs to do the wheel bearings soon after I get it. I have never taken auto hubs apart before. Has anyone done this before? What can I expect? Is there a website with pics of this swap? From what I understand this is a fairly common swap. Thx for the info and help.
    The good news is there is no bad news.<br />The bad news is there is no good news.<br /><br />2nd owner of an 82 k/20 Silverado 4x4, 6.2, 4sp OD, 4.10s

I swapped out the automatic hubs for a set of Warn premium manual hubs on my 1990 Suburban 2500 with a Dana 44 front axle. It was a very straightforward & simple process. Since I had it all apart I repacked the wheel bearings and replaced the grease seals.

If you anticipate getting stuck, or needing to rock the vehicle, go manual. If you just drive straight, then auto can work.

Autos disengage and reengage when you change direction. A slipping rear will let the driveline gain too much momentum, then bam the front reengauges, then you shear the loops off the axleshafts.
    1996 K1500 6.5, 1984 K5 6.2 Banks both \"Stock\" (tilting hand side-side like Sammy Davis in Cannonball Run)<br /><br />Got Boost?