Thread: Timbren springs vs. air bags

markrinker Guest

Some guys put toppers on every truck they buy, and swear by it. Others bed liners.

One of my first accessories is a set of Timbren overload springs. For the money, they seem to be the most functional, simple way to handle the occasional rear spring overload 'gracefully'.

However, I am curious about air bags for the same. Anyone done bags on a 2500HD? What has your experience been?

I put airbags on my 2500LD but kit is the same, works great and doesn't stiffen the ride, thinking about removing my "extra load spring" to soften the unloaded ride even more. Works up to 5000 lbs and thats not a load I would want to put on my truck [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    1991 CK2500, 6.2 banks turbo, FourtGear built TH700R4, Dick Cepek 6.5" lift, 35" wheels

I had them on my 95 K-2500 suburban, worked great. I installed dual regulators and dual air pressure gauges so I could adjust for any load. I was going to install a truck leveling valve on the rear axle so that when I loaded it, air would increase or decrease as needed.
    Tom McCauley (DP Member #513)
    "Tankers-ToyII" Loaded 05 D/A K-3500 CC, SRW. Deep pan on Allison w/Transyn. Edge Juice w/attitude, 4" Kennedy exhaust, 98 Gal. Transfer-Flow cross bed fuel tank, Leer 100XQ bed cap. Reese 14,000lb class V hitch w/ dual cam HP sway control. Tow 34ft. 32FKD Holiday Rambler travel trailer. GCW 20,360lbs

hey got them on my 05 long bed i pull a 30 foot toy box from the bumper. i just air up to 90 psi and the truck is level. on board compreeser to and gauges the spring will stiffen your ride
    2005 crewcab 4x4, edge with attitude. rbp exhaust. air bags. 6\" pro comp lift with 35\'s, volant cold air intake,bed rug, mag hytec covers, 40'gearbox toy hauler

Go with the air bags over the timbern - had em both - timberns layed completely over once I put the camper on, absolutely no good for a real load - the air bags are the only way to go -

M
    2003 GMC 2500 D/A SLT Extendcab<br />28\' Splash TT<br />8\'LiteCraft Slidein/popup

Another vote for the bags. Had firestone ride rites on my last truck to get the truck level to tow my 5th wheel...worked great and ride was excellent. I think the fact they don't stiffen the ride is important for the trailer ...doesn't get as bad a beating at the hitch. First rate solution.

I have air bags on my 05 - installed them on an 04 2500HD too. Got a good buy on an 05 so I traded up.

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 LT SRW; Crew Cab Long Box ; Duramax (LLY)/Allison; Luverne stainless steel running boards; Isspro gauges; Super Duty Air Lift air bags; Bed Rug bed liner; Prodigy Controller; Husky 16K Hitch.

rjwest Guest

I will make all timbren fans mad!!

1. If the timbrens do not contact the axle when empty, the ride will be " HARSH ", when you hit
    a sharp bump, BANG on the axle, bang on the teeth..

2. Many will dispute this, : I would not reccomend for continues overload condition ( IE: truck camper)

The timbrens pinch the axle and prevent it from moving aft under loading on bumps. This puts extreme pressure on the front attach point, and over time, will break the spring at this point . This is not a good place to break a spring.

I'm sure there will be many Timberen users who will dispute this, But after many overloaded miles
    I broke both springs ( yes I was overloaded )
    The concern I have is the springs did not break in normal area ( leafs ) it broke the spring at the
    circular attach area at the thickest part of the spring... The spring was not attached, only laying
    on the bolt, scared h*ll out of me..( went to airbags.

My .02$

We are currently in the process of removing the springs completely and replacing with trailing arms and firestone air bags. We haul a 40' gooseneck boat trailer, max trailer and load 17,500lbs. If your interested i'll let you know how everything turns out in the next couple of weeks. Thats when i'll have the truck back together and start hauling for the winter lay-ups.
    Herman
    www.offshoregroup.net
    1993 gmc 6.5t, stock for now,4x4, auto,dually, our shop built rear air ride,4" exhaust, major repaint work.autometer gauges,3" our shop built air intake,cowl hood,towing 40'tandem dually boat trailer.