Thread: Replacement return lines: Tygon?

Default Replacement return lines: Tygon?

Hi all, I was going to put this in the 6.2 cause that is what I have, but figured it may also be pertinant to 6.5 as well since i believe they have return lines off the injectors too. Anyway, i did search first too. I read somewhere here where the good Dr. recomended using Ester (I think, pretty certain it started with an e) based hose material for clear return lines and was so good as to include a McMaster Carr part number and pages. I have some Tygon tubing, which is apparently good for "most" inogranic solvents, but I am uncertain how it would work with Diesel fuel and/or B100. ANyone have any experience with using the stuff for return lines? We have tons at work and it ends up pitched out all the time, so the price is right. Thanks in advance.

Default Tygon(R) Injector Return Lines

I have a friend who uses Tygon for this purpose on a 5.7L Olds(Yep, still running!) with good results. However, it is a different diameter and may not get as hot as those on a 6.2. How about trying one somewhere easily accessed (front driver's side?), to make it easy to inspect for heat damage, stertching, or other problems (then, cause you're a good sport, let the rest of us know what happened).

I need to make a change on my 6.5 due to poor service both of the ones from my local Stanadyne supplier and from the dealer, and, MAN, you don't want to have failures behind the turbo!!! Other experience out there? Surely someone has a tried-and-true long-term solution!

The other problem is to find a tubing system which doesn't require clamps, because they exacerbate the problem considerably. (Do Real Mechanics have reeaaaallly skinny, strong fingers with extra joints in them? Cause that's what it takes sometimes...I wind up with extra joints afterward!!! :-) )

There are several outfits that advertise return line kits on line.
    I used a local supplier for them the last time through and have had zero issue.
    The lines I got are a braid covered and dont need the clamps.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Default Injector Return Lines

Hi Robyn...

The fabric, non-clamp ones are some that have failed with me. Perhaps I expect too long a service...or maybe these are inferior to the ones you have used. They slip on nicely and hold in place, sans clamp, until the ends eventually harden and crack, and leaks follow. Then comes the big clunky hands problem, trying to install new without dismantling the turbo side of the ingine!

The lines I get come from the local Detroit Diesel shop. I would guess a set gives 40- or 50,000 miles. Where do you get them? Are they Teflon(R) lines? I think those are available somewhere.

Thanks

they have return line kits HERE
    Main rig-1978 chevy 3/4 f/t 4x4 8" lift 38 14.5 16 toyo m/t's. BUILT 350(soon to be 6.2) quad batteries. front and rear 15k winches. lockers F/R. dana60 front full float corp 14 rear. th400/np203.

donor rig. 1988 GMC K3500 140k miles, th400. IFS(read CRAP) semi float 14 rear. drove it 142 miles home at 17mpg and 1/4 quart of delo 400.

Default Injector Return Lines

Thanks, Murphyslaw...I'll check John again to see if his are the same fabric-covered ones I am using. If so, the service life has been poor, in my experience. And, I can buy the tubing in bulk locally at less than $1.00/ft (can't recall exactly)...don't need copper seals or airhorn gaskets that come with the kits.

I can't recall where I saw the Teflon-lined ones earlier. It's worth a try to find that material again. What is your experience regarding service life of the tubing? With 610,000 on two Suburbans, you can imagine that I go for something with low maintenance and attention requirements!!! Not to mentions retiree income problems, as D*P*** continues to erode my meager no-COLA pension.

Thanks for the followup.

I have about 140k on the lines that came with kenedys kit. just checked 'em out a few days ago and they still looked brand new besides from having to scrap all the mud off em to see.
    Main rig-1978 chevy 3/4 f/t 4x4 8" lift 38 14.5 16 toyo m/t's. BUILT 350(soon to be 6.2) quad batteries. front and rear 15k winches. lockers F/R. dana60 front full float corp 14 rear. th400/np203.

donor rig. 1988 GMC K3500 140k miles, th400. IFS(read CRAP) semi float 14 rear. drove it 142 miles home at 17mpg and 1/4 quart of delo 400.

I will get some tygon from work and try these over the holidays. Will post after we see how they do. Thanks to all for the input.

We use tygon with Jet A and it seems to hold up ok . Not sure about the heat issues though. I will put a chunk behind the turbo to see how it holds up.

rogers is offline Where there's smoke.... There's fire!

I had a fuel leak a couple of weeks ago, and as a result needed to replace my return lines. I looked all around town for some suitable hose. I ended up with a few options. I also decided to do some heat testing on all of my available options, here is what I found.

My testing included:
    GM part #14066305 ($14.50= 9 inches)
    Dorman part #904-101 ($14.99= 72 inches and clamps)
    100% Viton 75a ($3.00= 12 inches)
    Braided "kit" hose "made in Germany"(~$25 includes gaskets etc)

I did this "testing" while my wife was out of town and so the oven was free to use. I cut 2 inch lengths of each of these for samples and laid them out on a sheet pan. The oven was checked for temperature accuracy and then the testing began. All temps are in Fahrenheit, temperatures were sustained for 30 minutes, each hose was bent and squeezed at each check. The results are as follows.

200- no change in any of the samples
    250- no change
    300- beginning to smell rubber
    350- strong smell of rubber
    400- Dorman hose cracks when bent
    braided hose separates from braid and begins to swell
    GM and Viton begin to harden
    450- Braided hose swells and cracks
    GM and Viton hoses crack when bent

An interesting note, the GM and Viton hoses were the only ones to return to the original flexibility once they cooled down. The others remained hard and brittle.

I have no info on tygon hoses but I hope this information is helpful to someone. Also, the hose clamps can be had for ~$5 dorman #90099, if you need them.
    1996 GMC K3500 Crew Cab Dually 8ft bed
    Rebuilt engine 2/10 18:1 pistons, forged crank, Fluidamper, dsg gear drive timing, high flow oil pump, rebuilt GM8, turbomaster, Kennedy ECM, 4" exhaust, wrapped cross-over and down pipe, '98+ cooling, Duramax fan, aftermarket oil cooler and hoses
    Rebuilt tranny 2/10

Get a Depaco line kit, these are top quality and come with the lines, the end caps and the copper rings for the injectors too.

You can find them even on ebay.

I have uses these myself and would again in a heartbeat.

Robyn
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

I asked a local diesel shop and he just used the fuel line from the local lawn mower shop. So that was where I went and have yet to have a problem. It is a yellow transperant line that is still somewhat soft and flexable just as the day I put it in. I got 10 feet of it for IIRC 6 bucks. The guy at the mower shop said it was used for the chain saws that come through his shop. Those are the heavy duty ones that have the small bars in the 30 plus inch range. They get pretty hot during use. The local crappa shop wanted 95 bucks for the install kit. After looking at the lines and asking the dumn questions I left and went to the mower shop.

Hope this helps some

John
    2004 Chevy K3500 CCLB DRW Duramax. Stock.

1992 Sea Ray 300DA. 30 plus foot Express Cruiser on a trailer. 13,500# boat and trailer and 69' of combined length rolling. Over length/width permitted load.

SOLD-95 GMC K2500 SLE 6.5L TD, Relocated PMD to bumper #9 res., Custom Lowes special induction tube, Triple gauges on the pillar EGT, Trans, Boost, High Idle Mod, TCC-Lock up Mod, Custom Back up camera, DIY Manual Wastegate Controller, 4" from down tube to 5" stacks, Vac Pump Removed,2007 wheels, WMI by Cooling Mist 8gph @3psi 11gph on demand

I used translucent yellow Tygon line (sleeved with regular fuel line as suggested by Robyn) on the turbo side of my rebuild. Only have 1000 miles on them, and this summer should test them. The nipples on the #4 injector would not line up horizontally and trial fitting the heat shield showed that the shield would be in direct contact with the lines.

To get the nipples to line up, I swapped the injectors around until I found one that would seat with the nipples horizontal. It was a PITA and I should have done that when the engine was out of the truck. Also used plastic tie straps to pull the lines a little farther from the heat shield. And a piece of Tygon on the fuel return line coming out of the IP. You can see air bubbles going through it if you have a leak in the system.
    Black 95 6.5TD, 929 block, 173k miles, 65k on IP, 48k miles on self-rebuilt engine done in '09, 6 L&S Full-torque inserts in outer main crank holes, Clearwater heads, Fluidamper, rebuilt NV4500, 3" downpipe, 4" exhaust, no cat, dual T-stats, 9 blade fan, spin-on 180 degree clutch, Heath hi-flow water pump and turbomaster, PMD relocated, OPS relay mod, Heath PROM upgrade, and Kennedy headlight harness upgrade soon. Now use semi-syn Lucas 2-cycle oil every fill-up which greatly reduces the frequency of DTC 35-36 codes the PCM/ECM throws.

Default Update

Have had the tygon lines on my rig for 18k miles now and 7 years of service under all weather conditions. No issues.
    Black 95 6.5TD, 929 block, 173k miles, 65k on IP, 48k miles on self-rebuilt engine done in '09, 6 L&S Full-torque inserts in outer main crank holes, Clearwater heads, Fluidamper, rebuilt NV4500, 3" downpipe, 4" exhaust, no cat, dual T-stats, 9 blade fan, spin-on 180 degree clutch, Heath hi-flow water pump and turbomaster, PMD relocated, OPS relay mod, Heath PROM upgrade, and Kennedy headlight harness upgrade soon. Now use semi-syn Lucas 2-cycle oil every fill-up which greatly reduces the frequency of DTC 35-36 codes the PCM/ECM throws.

I have never used the tygon "see though" lines, but usually use the OEM type replacement lines that are sold though the injector shop I used to rebuild my squirts.

The last kit I bought was "Dipaco"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...zhTk0wDNseyJ4g

Braided lines, end caps and other goodies in the kit.

Not sure how well the see through lines are gonna hold up on the long haul in the high heat though
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Default Good place to look

I buy my braided injector return lines from my local import auto parts store.
    Both my Mercedes diesel and Chevy's use the same size return line. I usually buy in bulk. Meyle brand has worked well for me. 3.2mm is 1/8 inch. The owner of the parts store has had the best of luck when his customers use the VW end plug. They are a solid design, and less prone to failure.

HammerWerf
    1999 k2500 Suburban Pyro, Tranny Temp, Boost, K&N Air Filter, +3.5 qt tranny pan. 190000 miles
    1984 C20 249k miles DSG gear, SM-465, 3.73
    1983 C30 CC dualie. 308K miles on Chassis, TH400, 4-45 A/C Looking for a TurboCharger

Default Supporting Vendor

We stock the return line kits as well.

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/detail.cfm?ID=41
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!