Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoke screen ahead

Angry

Traveling home on the local expressway, I see a pure black, intense screen of smoke coming from a vehicle about 20 cars ahead of me as we climb every hill. Looked like the local tire dump was on fire. Cars were actually hitting their brakes as they could not see the road ahead. Coasting down the hill, the smoke ceases. I thought I'll speed up to see if it's a Ford or Dodge. As I near the smoker, I see a stake bed truck pulling a trailer with a Bobcat but still can't make out the brand of truck. I finally get next to him and see a late 90's model Chevy. I'm disappointed. Is there an obvious cause of such a cloud? Shot turbo, bad IP,...
    Mark Chapman DP member #653;
    1983 K2500 6.2 Suburban, 4" lift, 35" tires, ATS turbo, Banks exhaust/intake, pyrometer, tachometer;
    1986 K5 6.2 Blazer, 2" lift, 33" tires, Banks intake, pyrometer, tachometer
    1963 wife, one owner, average mileage for the age but in excellent shape, a keeper
    1992 daughter, low mileage, pretty, limited edition, but requires some money to maintain
    1995 son, sports model, very fast & peppy, time will tell on durability and maintenance costs

"Grease is good"

Originally posted by Subzilla:
    I'm disappointed. Is there an obvious cause of such a cloud? Shot turbo, bad IP,...
    Bad wastegate control circuit.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Yep!

Good Day!

"Is there an obvious cause of such a cloud?" Sorry, boys, wrong answer. The correct answer is, this fella isn't a Diesel Page member. If he was, not only would there be no smoke, but there's better than even odds that you wouldn't have been able to catch up to him, because he might be making more power thanks to More Power & the rest of us.

Blessings!
    82 6.2NA K15 4X4 pickup, 4spd man w/ OD, 335K+ "In Rust We Trust" (parked)
    95 6.5TD 2500 4X4 pickup, Gear Vendors Aux. OD, > ¼ million miles - gone
    95 6.5TD 1500 4X4 3/4T Suburban, Kennedy exhaust, > ¼ million miles
    93 6.5TD 3500 4X4 1T crew cab LB pickup, 230k miles

How fast was he going with this type of load?
    Once pulled my 30ft TT doing 65mph and the ses came on,had lost all my boost.Smoked like your talking, yet droped my speed very quickly to 55 then I let up,got back into the power and the boost came back. Long story short,back when GM did a R&R long block, the nut at the shop had split the rubber connector on the waste gate can.
    Would'nt hold boost.So I think? After replacing that pcs. the boost would hold.
    95C3500.Ext.Cab 97 Cooling mods. DSG Gear-1.95 TDCO. Bilstein Shocks. Firestone Air Bags. FSD Cooler. Banks EX System. Egt,Boost & IAT Gauges. JK High Flow/pop Injectors. Turbo-Master. Max-E 2.0. Water/Alky Injection. Amsoil Dual Bypass. Baldwin filter. aFe Air filter, Air box & Turbo Mods. Power Service Product. Large Duels 235/85-16. Tool Box\'s & truck, 8200 lbs.

Oh my,

If I had a dollar for every time I saw a 6.5 chugging black smoke for no apparent reason, and seemingly unnoticed by the operator, I may not be rich, but would be a lot better off.

Sometimes I want to pull them over and have a chat, about vacuum systems, wastegate solenoids, and other such things that hanging around here has educated me in, but haven't yet.
    1994 K1500 Silverado ext cab short box
    stock L56 6.5 TD, F intake, 4L80E, 3.73 gears
    10149599 block, D-Tech PMD on 5288 pump
    Goodyear Wrangler silent armour 265 75 R16 E Pro Grade
    Bushwacker fender flares
    410,000 km

Good Day!

"If I had a dollar for every time I saw a 6.5 chugging black smoke for no apparent reason, and seemingly unnoticed by the operator..." Don't EGT's go way up when under load with inadequate air? Your observation may explain at least some of the 6.5's earned or unearned reputation for unreliability - clouds of black smoke should be fixed.

Blessings!

Jim Griffin Guest

What a great site this is! I'm a newbie here, and just became the proud owner of a 1994 CK2500 in December. I've been slowly perusing the volumes of info here, and trying to figure out what questions to ask first...well it's been a few days since I was here and lo and behold this whole topic was my next inquiry of the experienced here since I have noticed some smoke under load coming up the hill from town (Denver 5280 ft to home 8000 ft)...I thought it might be something to do with the turbo operation but wasn't sure where to start troubleshooting. Now I know what to search for here...I'll be checking my vacuum systems, waste gate operations and solenoid and staying tuned in here to see what else I need to learn...thanks for sharing the info all y'all.

What a great site this is!

You got that right Back when I first joined I knew nothing about the 6.2-6.5 diesel. I found my truck,needed a newer work truck and wanted it to be a diesel. If it was'nt for this site I would of gotten rid of my truck long time ago.
    Thanks to MP and all of the members I have been able to up grade power and make the truck very dependable. Thanks to all of the members also,I can't keep my hands off of it even though nothings wrong Cut my finger yesterday,bleed black [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    95C3500.Ext.Cab 97 Cooling mods. DSG Gear-1.95 TDCO. Bilstein Shocks. Firestone Air Bags. FSD Cooler. Banks EX System. Egt,Boost & IAT Gauges. JK High Flow/pop Injectors. Turbo-Master. Max-E 2.0. Water/Alky Injection. Amsoil Dual Bypass. Baldwin filter. aFe Air filter, Air box & Turbo Mods. Power Service Product. Large Duels 235/85-16. Tool Box\'s & truck, 8200 lbs.

Originally posted by Bnave95:
    What a great site this is!

Cut my finger yesterday,bleed black [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Quick, back to area 51 for overhaul.
    99 GMC SUB, 2500, 4x4, 6.5 TD (F) #H32 enhanced blk, Phaser timing set, B&D IC, 3" ATS exh, K&N w/prefilter, 4WD NVG 246, 4L80E kevlar Transgo off road/tow mods/B&M supercooler, 14 FF MagTec w/locker 3.42:1, 9.25" IFS frt/diff 3.42:1 w/ARB locker, AutoMeter Boost & pre-turbo pyro meter, 12,000 lb hydro winch, Warn classic bumper w/brushguard & diesel scoop, Max E-torq Stage 3, hi pop inj, oil bypass sys, on board air comp for front ARB locker & tire inflation, DynaView driving/auto-cornering lts, DZ nerfs, A/T 285/75/16 SilentArmor 3750 lb rated on 3750 lb rated Alcoa, 3 IP drivers 2 r spares.

He was going about 55 (the speed limit), and he may have been slowing up hills but he was pulling a normal size Bobcat skid steer loader. But, again, the black smoke was unreal! My first thought was: "Does he even have a clue how far past 1200 degrees his EGT's are exceeding?" When I push my old 6.2 to roll out the black smoke, the EGT's climb quickly, but my black puffs are nothing compared to what this truck was putting out.

Just trying to pick up some 6.5 knowledge for when the day comes to modernize one of the vehicles. I concur with the other comments on the valuable info I've learned here. I can't even begin to count the hours, dollars and frustration I've saved over the last 9 years by being a TDP member!

Well, when he cracks a piston, the smoke with take on a bluish tint. And when the head gaskets let go, it will have some white mixed in.

Pretty!

Tim
    Ford Owner.

Music by Andrew Lloyd Weber. Lyrics by Andrew Dice Clay

Everyone seems to overlook the posibility of a plugged cat converter. If the waste gate is functioning ok the next and quickest thing to look at is the converter. I've posted this comment a number of times due to folks blastiing out black smoke and having a loss of power and elevated coolant temp.finding them plugged at the inlet.
    96 6.5 ext cab C2500 short bed, 2 IP rep. under warranty. Came with Dual Thermostats & HO water pump,Tweaked fan clutch engages @200, Kennedy exhaust, Heath Turbo Boost, Heath ECM
    John Deere Tractor (It likes cetane improvers also)diesel65j@netscape.net (not always monitored)

There are people still using their soot collectors???

I suspect people (at least a few) still use the catalitic converter.

But the (first, if is suspected as a problem) remedy for a plugged cat from the GM manual it to floor it a few times to the allowable speed limit, to clear the accumulated crud.
    1994 K1500 Silverado ext cab short box
    stock L56 6.5 TD, F intake, 4L80E, 3.73 gears
    10149599 block, D-Tech PMD on 5288 pump
    Goodyear Wrangler silent armour 265 75 R16 E Pro Grade
    Bushwacker fender flares
    410,000 km

That remidy has never worked on the ones I've seen. The screen at the inlet were so plugged it wouldn't self clean. That might work for one the is caught early.
    96 6.5 ext cab C2500 short bed, 2 IP rep. under warranty. Came with Dual Thermostats & HO water pump,Tweaked fan clutch engages @200, Kennedy exhaust, Heath Turbo Boost, Heath ECM
    John Deere Tractor (It likes cetane improvers also)diesel65j@netscape.net (not always monitored)

The screen at the inlet were so plugged it-

The trick has been to remove Cat. Debug inters,install pipe in Cat. Look as though Cat is still installed.

Talking

If that guy had a boost and EGT gage, he'd be aware of his problem!
    1996 C2500 Extended Cab LB, 4:10 axle.
    VIN "F", 97/up dual stats, HO pump,195 stats,
    Duramax Fan/HD clutch, Air Box modded per JK,
    Battery cables modded, ISSPRO boost and pyro gauges, "A" pillar mount, New JK fuel injectors,
    Trans pan modded for "quick drain", 138,000miles

Arrow

If the guys cat was plugged he wouldn't be pulling that load at 55, and truck won't pull itself at 55 with a plugged cat either.
    2016 GMC SLT 2500 CC 4x4 Duramax All Terrain 59K
    1995 GMC 2500 EC 4x4 6.5TD,236K,Custom Tuning,HX40W-II turbo,Amsoil Bypass Filter,KD Exhaust,FSD Cooler,KD Headlight booster,Hi-cap Cooling
    TDP member #14

My son was able to pull my my trailer with my John Deer Tracror on it with his 95 cat plugged, it did run a little warm though. He was running at highway speeds.

We cut it open and removed the guts and welded it shut so it looks like it still has a cat. M96 has the cat removed. We both live in a non emissions county.