Thread: Question on buying a 6.5 GMC...

Default Question on buying a 6.5 GMC...

Hello Diesel Page members,

I've been running an old 84 GMC 6.2 K2500 4x4 for the past 10 years and with an engine rebuild from Jamie at Diesel Depot (3 years now), and It is my work horse.

I'm thinking about buying a 97 GMC K2500 4x4 with over 225k miles on it, and I was wondering what potential mileage I still may get out of a 6.5 with that many miles?

The truck is in original showroom like condition, and runs like new, but I don't have the full history on maintenance yet.

Also it has a manual 5 speed trans. How tough are these tranny's?

Finally, if a guy wanted to make this truck a manual fuel injected engine with no electronics, could this be done simply by replacing the injector pump and fuel pumps so it was set up like my old 84?

Your responses would be greatly appreciated.
    JP

OK-

I should have started to read before I posted about the injection pump conversion and have found info on that, but if anyone has comments on my other questions, that would be great... !

The NV4500 tranny is pretty tough behind a 6.5. A modified Cummins can eat it but behind the 6.5 its a pretty good match. I think its a good tranny. The Clutch is a different story, thats a little weak but OK.

The late 90's IIRC 96.5-98 are the weakest blocks w/ piston oil spray cooling and weak casting material. Several have cracked but more are still running ok.

All bets are off at 225K miles in my opinion unless you know the details. Hows it been used and what shape is it in etc ???? You mention its in showroom condition. Is that looks or is it really clean and well maintained??? Any modifications? It would have to be an economical buy and you willing to do the next level of maintenance when required. As you are probably aware diesels are pretty economical up to 100-150K then the bigger maintenance items need attention.

If you are happy with the 6.2 then the 6.5 should be OK there is not much difference. Give more info on what you'll be doing with it and if you like tinkering or want to modify for performance etc. Also, how well you turn wrenches and others will be more willing to give thier opinion.
    Last edited by Hubert; 03-25-2006 at 13:08.
    97 5spd K2500 Ext Cab short Bed ~160K miles.
    TM, 3" downpipe & 4" exhaust, remote FSD, remote oilfilter, Gauges: EGT, Boost, Fuel Pressure, B&W Gooseneck Turnover ball, Prodigy Brake Controller. Hi-Temp Hydraulic Oil Cooler Lines.

Thanks fpr the reply Hubert.

Yes it is clean, but I can't get the history beyond a carfax report. It hasn't been modified, but it has been used to tow with at times, as there's a gooseneck hitch.

I guess it's crap shoot. I really like the truck, and I'm a good backyard mechanic. My 3 year old Diesel Depot rebuild cost me $3200, but that was a 599 block casting, gear drive, girdle, pistons for the banks turbo etc., and i don't know what it would cost to get a basic rebuild from them shipped back here to California these days?

If I could get another 35-40k worth of mileage out of it, I would probably get it. Price is $5300.