Thread: Maximizing LLY fuel mileage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default new owner

I recently purchased a 07 Classic 4x4 stock drive train and 285 tires. I get 14+- in the city and 16ish unloaded on the hywy. my camper is 8k and i get 9 to 10 best I recently pulled a boat (9-10k) flat land and got 6mpg is that to be expected? should i be looking for somthing wrong? my speed was approx 68 and 1600 rpms. i had the GM place look at it and they say it is in spec's. she does not struggle at all just poor milage, any thoughts.

your 285's are killing you

my '07 classic w/ the LBZ can squeak-out 22 mph unloaded keeping it at 55-60 mph, all stock except for a 4" turbo-back system, EGR block-off, and diesel kleen added to every tank, as soon as you go over 60 mph, mpg drops quick
    http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/image.php
    07 GMC CC SB LBZ
    70 monte carlo, original 4 spd, bench seat
    71 monte carlo SS clone, street/strip
    97 grand am, beater

Is your odometer corrected for the 285 tires? You may be going more miles and more mph than you think, both of which would make the mileage seem low.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Thumbs up Mpg

Some random thoughts.
    My take on the D.I.C.: (Don't) Trust, but verify. Mine is seldomly better than .5 MPG off.
    My MPG: 15 - 17, with my best now being 18. (2005 C/C, L/B, 2WD, all stock - except tires - See below)
    ULSD: The change-over was before I owned my LLY. But I know that the Cat 3126 in my M/H lost 2 - 4 MPG due to ULSD.
    Tire size vs. MPG: I lost 2 - 3 MPG due to the 265/75-16s I installed on my truck. With the 245s, I always got 17 - 19, with the best being 20.8.
    'DPS' in Van Nuys, Ca. recommends the 'Predator' hand held programmer that can install/uninstall different tuning maps for power - economy - etc. Customer claims of 1 - 3 MPG.
    Regarding above: I'm chicken. Too many horror stories of codes being flashed due to re-programming. (In all fairness, very few ugly stories are about the Predator - But I'm still too anal to experiment)
    Dan