Thread: No Brakes or Steering??!!

Default No Brakes or Steering??!!

Started my 2001 2500 HD this morning and started to back out with no brakes or steering. Shut it down and restarted and after a short wait the brakes and steering were restored. I think I read these systems run off a vacuum pump, is this correct? Any ideas?

Regards,
    Mike

Arrow

Check the fluid level (and for leaks) of the power steering pump. It powers the brakes and steering.

If the accumulator or isolator valve in the hydrobooster is bad or sticking, it can cause sluggish or delayed power steering and/or brakes.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Angry

Amazing--Just had my 2001 towed for the same symptoms--NO brakes or steering.
    2001 2500hd EX SB Dura/Allison

My booster failed under warrenty on my 02. GM knows there is problem with it and had a bulletin with the fix when I had the truck towed in back in early 03. They installed a new unit and some metal plate on the inside of the cab on the backside of the booster. I haven't had the problem again and I'm at 114,000 miles.

David
    Oneton
    2002 3500HD Pewter/lt grey interior Crew Cab 4x4 LT Durmax/Allison

Angry loss of power steering and brakes

I have experienced a loss of power steering and power brakes a couple of times with my 97 K2500 after driving for a period of time at a constant speed. After highway driving for a while, yesterday was about 15 minutes, upon releasing the accelerator and slowing down to make a turn off the highway, I had no power steering and brakes. I took the truck to a GM shop recently and explained to them what it was doing and they had never heard of this problem. My truck has speed sensitive power steering that is controlled by an electronic module mounted in-line on the back of the P.S. pump that is fed a signal from the VSSB and this regulates how much assist is required based on vehicle speed. I have a service manual that goes through 2 pages of electronic diagnostics, but not having a GM equipped shop restricts my ability to diagnose it accurately. Replacing the module costs around $350 (parts) and if it is not the problem, guess what, you cannot return electronic components.
    Has anyone replaced this module due to this problem and did it solve the problem?