Thread: It's heating up!

Default It's heating up!

OK it's finally Summer here in the city. Today coming home empty, running 65mph on interstate, my temp gauge is sitting at 210. The tranny is running about 180.

This got me to thinking, at what point should I start getting worried? 210 to me is HOT! However, last week I pulled a 9k trailer a couple hundred miles, running 70mph. The outside temps were in the mid to low 80's, and the engine temp stayed just below 210, and the tranny was at 200.

Someone please tell me when is too much? I don't have an EGT or boost gauges yet, but I'm working on it. When is too hot for either engine or tranny?
    Scott
    St. Louis, MO

'06 Silverado K2500 4x4 Crew Cab D/A "Big Max" AmpResearch retractable Running Boards, 4" Turbo back Kennedy Exhaust, Kennedy Custom Tune!
    '99 BMW K1200LT "Special K" my other "SUV"
    '07 Salem by Forest River Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler

Arrow

First off, 210
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default I guess so...

I'm all about not putting too much faith in the accuracy of OEM guages. However, I was figuring that they could be inaccurate on the low side just as they could be on the high side. I'll just keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the quick reply!! Any thoughts on tranny temps?
    Scott
    St. Louis, MO

'06 Silverado K2500 4x4 Crew Cab D/A "Big Max" AmpResearch retractable Running Boards, 4" Turbo back Kennedy Exhaust, Kennedy Custom Tune!

Arrow

260-280 is getting too hot for ATF. Time is a factor when considering trans temps. Running for a few minutes at 280 won't be a problem, but if it's there all (or a lot of) the time it is. The Allison TCM monitors trans temps, and will defuel the engine (limp) if temps get out of hand.

Run in Tow/Haul during those times when trans temps are higher than your normal running temperature. A locked torque converter in gears 2nd-5th (or 6th in the 2006 trucks) will help control trans temperatures.

Jim

Default You are fine

My '03 runs the same temps as your's consistently.

As some other wise contributor pointed out its not the absolute temps, its the trends.

You'll get used to the "normal" temps for yours and notice when they get noticebly above normal.

Although I have no reson to think my guages are not accurate - others have indicated that GM guages are a little off so again it's not the exact number, its the "normal' for your truck.

The tranny will run hotter around town than on the highway pulling because of all the shifting.
    \'03 Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab, Long Bed LS trim- Pewter, Duramax - stock

Default I'm settling down now....

I have had the truck in some different driving conditions now so I am starting to understand 'normal'. I picked the truck up and the temps were barely over 60 degrees. Then as it started heating up, I started getting a little more concerned.

Like I said though, pulling highway nonstop, the temps never got over 210. Tranny was my biggest concern, but it didn't go any higher either. Ijust keep driving it!
    Scott
    St. Louis, MO