Until the new ULSD refining and distribution have been established and all the bugs worked out, I'm recommending everyone begin using some sort of fuel treatment to counter the effects of lower lubricity.

I heard last month from a Page member in Michigan who installed a brand new DB2 fuel injection pump, filled his motorhome with ULSD, drove 150 miles, then experienced a pump seizure. Stanadyne denied the warranty, claiming a lack of lubricity....

It appears that to meet the 15 ppm sulfur requirement, some refineries are actually removing all of the sulfur (or as close to it as possible), expecting some residual contamination from the distribution system. There are fuel lubricity requirements (ISO 12156-1, -2, ASTM D-6079), which are met by adding a lubricity treatment. It requires faith, to put all your trust in the refineries....

I suspect all this will eventually be worked out. Till then, and to be cautious, we recommend ULSD fuel be treated. Many different nationally available diesel fuel treatments offer lubricity ingredients. Stanadyne (for example) reports that adding their "Performance Formula" fuel treatment at the recommended ratio will provide adequate fuel lubricity for ULSD.

If you can buy bio-diesel (even B1), that would be a solution. Bio naturally adds lubricity.

Jim