Thread: Conversion Possibilities

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    16gaSxS is offline Moderator, Have Shotgun & dogs will travel

For the most part I agree with most of what Jim said about conversions. I don't see the reason for going to 5.9L Cummins when a good engine can be had in a drop in situation with say 6.5T. I have a 1971 Ford Bronco with a V-8 302 in it. The darn thing loves it's gas. Now I've run across a guy who dropped a 3.9L Cummins in an EB (early Bronco) and he has all the power he needs and get 28 mpg's mixed driving. With the 32 gallons of tanks I have on mine that would give me about a 900 mile range more than double what I have now. I think a 6.5TD would be a tight fit in the old EB but I think a 3.9 would tuck in very nice from the photo's I have seen. In fact I have located a 3.9L enionge and 5 speed OD tranny 3 hours away. I'm thinking real hard about it.
    95, 6.5, C-2500 extended cab shortbox, Auto transmixer 3.42 diff, Jardine exhaust system
    FSD Cooler replaced w/ Heath PMD Isolator
    Heath Turbo-Master Boost Controller, Max E Tork chip '97 cooling upgrades, Kennedy Fan clutch,
    Glow Plug over ride,DeeZee 38.5 gallon Aux fuel Tank 225K miles and rolling

1994, 6.5 Blazer, 3:42 diff, 4 inch exhaust, Heath PMD Isolator, Heath Turbo-Master Boost Controller Max E Tork, Heath SB intake filter system.
    221K miles and rolling.
    Diesel Page member #81

Arrow

Marty.... "most of what Jim said...." I'm hurt

Actually, the following quote, found on the site's home page, is TDP's mission statement:

The Diesel Page is a membership based web magazine and enthusiast group, which has focused on the General Motors light-truck 6.2L, 6.5L and the Duramax 6600 diesel engines since 1996.
    We'll help you maintain and repair your 6.2, 6.5 or Duramax diesel engine, find solutions for diesel fuel injection problems, increase performance, locate the best and least expensive parts sources, repair and upgrade the Chevrolet and GMC light-duty trucks, and we'll help improve your satisfaction in owning a General Motors 6.2L - 6.5L - 6.6L diesel powered light-truck.
    Pulling a 6.5 from a GM vehicle to install a non GM diesel engine doesn't fit the mission.....

Jim

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by More Power
    Pulling a 6.5 from a GM vehicle to install a non GM diesel engine doesn't fit the mission.....
    Hear! Hear!

. . .repair and upgrade the Chevrolet and GMC light-duty trucks
    Some might interpret a swap as an upgrade.

Between the D-max and a Cummins, what are the realistic, usable power capabilites? Not for racing, but pulling loads easily and efficiently. I have seen 800hp injectors for the Cummins, but that does not mean it should be done. If the choice for a swap is a crate d-max and a crate 6BT, why (other than GM product) would someone choose one over the other? I have seen that some maintenance parts for the Cummins are quite expensive, but injectors seem to be an issue with the d-max. I am not preparing to do any swap of any time right now, just curious.

Incedently, it was asked if someone wanted a cummins, why not buy a Dodge. I like my Suburban, Dodge does not make one.
    Jeffrey Todd
    _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _
    '96 6.5TD GMC Suburban 2500 4x4 - 300,000 miles, JK remote FSD, Dual Thermostats

What about stuffing a 6.5 into a non-GM vehicle?
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Thumbs up Q: What about stuffing a 6.5 into a non-GM vehicle?

If it promotes the 6.5 or GM diesel ownership in general.. You've got my vote!

One of our members in Australia has made a living equipping Ford trucks with the 6.2 then the 6.5 diesel when it became available. Toyota Land Cruisers, Land Rovers and many other types of vehicles around the world are running the 6.5.

Put yourself in the shoes of someone new who comes to this web site for the first time, looking for help with his/her 6.5 or perhaps just wanting to learn more about the engine and related maintenance. How might they react to lots of BB talk and published articles about pulling the 6.5 to install a Cummins? How would promoting the Cummins as a replacement affect their 6.5 ownership.

As you'll read in the Rendezvous coverage in a few days, about 60% of the vehicles attending were 6.2/6.5. I know at least one of them had over 200,000 miles. One attending member owns both a 6.5 and a Duramax. He drove his 1992 6.5 from northern Alberta to attend. Many of these guys are true 6.5 enthusiasts. If ronniejoe attends the Pull-Off next week, we could see a new level of performance for the 6.5.

JTodd, Useable power... The 90's GMT-400 3500 series dually trucks were rated for up to 8500-lbs max towing capacity or about 17,000-lbs GCVW. A 400 RW horsepower Duramax won't break a sweat or lose any speed on any hill with that power and load. Want more? I've heard of Duramax's generating more than 900 RW. Once the aftermarket somewhat caught up to the Duramax potential, no Dodge has come close to running with the Duramax at our Pull-Off for the past 4 years.

Jim

PS - If anyone wants to discuss Cummins conversions, the "General Diesel" forum is there for you to do that.
    Last edited by More Power; 07-07-2006 at 15:40.

The 90's GMT-400 3500 series dually trucks were rated for up to 8500-lbs max towing capacity or about 17,000-lbs GCVW. A 400 RW horsepower Duramax won't break a sweat or lose any speed on any hill with that power and load. Want more? I've heard of Duramax's generating more than 900 RW.
    That is the kind of information I was looking for. Thank you. I did not want to get anyone bent out of shape, just looking for information.
    Jeffrey Todd
    _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _
    '96 6.5TD GMC Suburban 2500 4x4 - 300,000 miles, JK remote FSD, Dual Thermostats

Quote Originally Posted by trbankii
    How cool would a 6.5 in an old Land Rover Defender be? I would definitely dig that!!!

JP
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff

"But officer, I ain't Speedin', I'm just flyin' low"

2001 Silverado 3500 Dually LS Ext Cab, 6.6L Diesel, Banks Stinger Kit, 4" Exhaust, VR Straps, Bilstein shocks, 255/85/16 BFG KM2s
    2004 Suburban 2500 LT 6.0L 4x4, Bilstein Shocks, Federico front/rear sway bars
    1996 Caprice 5.7L LT1, B4U Suspension, KYB shocks & Hotchkis sway bars, BMR RCA - alas I miss ya.
    2013 Caprice PPV 6.0L

I have been wondering if you buy a Wrecked or Salvage complete DMAX truck. Would having all the wires and computor box make it an easy swap into a 90's CK pickup???? MP just said it is complicated. That was my fear.
    97 3500 2WD, EX/CAB LB, 6.5 TD, Dually, 93k-2010
    77 Harley Super Glide Confederate Edition
    K&N Air Filter, Goodmark Cowl Induction Hood
    Kennedy FSD Cooler--Turbo Tech Intercooler W/Comp. Flash (WHAT EVER THEY DID? WORKS)
    3" Exhaust w/ Free flow muffler---REAR AUX. AIR BAGS
    http://community.webshots.com/user/jpfjf

Quote Originally Posted by trbankii
    They let me hang out here, so it couldn't be that bad.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

As far as conversions go, I just cant stop thinking that a cummins 4bt in an s-10 blazer would be quite a rig.

Tim
    Ford Owner.

Music by Andrew Lloyd Weber. Lyrics by Andrew Dice Clay

16gaSxS is offline Moderator, Have Shotgun & dogs will travel

Marty.... "most of what Jim said...." I'm hurt

Jim
    Sorry; I just don't think I could shoehorn a 6.5TD in my old Bronco, and I thinkthe 6.5 would be much more Engine than the litttle EB would need. In reality the MOST COST EFFECTIVE thing is simply to keep the 302 and hose it full of GASOLINE when needed as I drive it so little, it's mostly a Ranch vehical and bit of Hunting. I have only got it stuck once real good and that was 300 yards from the house, I almost got my tractor stuck retrieving it!!!!
    95, 6.5, C-2500 extended cab shortbox, Auto transmixer 3.42 diff, Jardine exhaust system
    FSD Cooler replaced w/ Heath PMD Isolator
    Heath Turbo-Master Boost Controller, Max E Tork chip '97 cooling upgrades, Kennedy Fan clutch,
    Glow Plug over ride,DeeZee 38.5 gallon Aux fuel Tank 225K miles and rolling

1994, 6.5 Blazer, 3:42 diff, 4 inch exhaust, Heath PMD Isolator, Heath Turbo-Master Boost Controller Max E Tork, Heath SB intake filter system.
    221K miles and rolling.
    Diesel Page member #81