Thread: My '01 DMax finally can breathe!

Thumbs up My '01 DMax finally can breathe!

Five years of SES and less than optimal power (the latter I did not realize until last week since my truck prior to 2001 was a 5.0L gasser) due to the sufficated 2001 Air Box and 3 different local dealers failing to correct it over 8 visits.

My 5 Year warranty finally ended so I took matters into my own hands and did the Kennedy Air Box mods and I can't believe the power my truck has. I like the sound of the Turbo now as well. Took it for a couple hundred mile trip this past weekend and not a single SES light? Hope that holds true once I load up the camper on a 90 degree weekend. Every dealer I went to simply reset the indicator, two of them replaced the Turbo Sensor. I even brought in the actual TSB for the '01 AirBox and they refused to believe that was the issue. Now that the engine can breathe I'm wondering what else it's got in it? At only 65k miles it's got a lot of life left and I don't have to worry about voiding my warranty anymore.

It's a little louder but that's fine by me.
    07 GMC 2500HD Classic 4x4 SB CC Duramax
    94 GMC 1500 Z71 EC - 175k miles and going strong
    Previous Truck:
    01 Chevy 3500 CC 4x4 Duramax DRW

Arrow

Glad your truck is running up to expectations for you.

I too, have an early 2001 LB7, and I run it with the factory airbox - no airbox mods, except for a Uni-Foam air filter element. I have not had the problems you and others I've read about have had concerning a lack of airflow.

We produced a product review a couple years ago for AFE, installing their Stage II system, which required a run on the dyno both before and after to chart the change in power, comparing it to the factory air intake system. At least in my truck, the AFE did produce a few more HP, but not the sort of dramatic change indicated by your (and other owners) experience.

I wonder if something else might be going on, like a blocked airflow path in the fender.

Jim

Exhaust will also help. I've seen it time and time again where the 2001 truck gets an Edge box, sucks the filter minder in, and sets SES lights. Some do it with stock programming. Letting it breathe really helps. I'd also recommend the programming updates that go with the box mods.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!