Thread: Injectors?????

Question Injectors?????

I have a 2002 2500HD with 138000 miles. Two days ago I filled up and about twenty minutes later My oil pressure dropped very low. The truck then started to shake very badly at idle. Nothing was visably (sp?) leaking at idle but as soon as you put it in drive and started moving it was spitting what looked like oil but smelled like fuel. Then I took the truck home from there and did not run it for the rest of the night. I got up Thursday morning and there was a 10 foot puddle under my truck. The entire under carriage was soaked. I have done some researxh and had heard about the injector issues. I called a local shop and told me to take it to the dealer & that it would be covered under warranty. I am going to get it towed there today but I wanted to see if these were some of the symtoms of injector issues that some other people were expiriencing..... I own a BMW race shop but when it comes to diesel injectors I would rathe rlet the pros deal with that one and have it covered under warranty if I can.
    Thanks in advance for any help that you can throw my way.....

Arrow

Sarah, Your situation sounds like the classic symptoms of "fuel in oil", due to faulty injectors (or loose injector return lines). I imagine if you checked the engine oil dipstick, you'd see that it is significantly above the full mark.

This condition and its resolution is covered under GM's extended warranty for 7 years or 200,000 miles. Click the colored text to see the full details of the extended warranty.

Jim

Default Thanks

I had it towed to the dealer last week and they are doing the warranty work on it. It should be done today. But thanks for the info.

This is exactly what happened to me 2 weeks ago. I was pulling my boat that I just got fully detailed when it happened. Ended up covering the boat and trailer in diesel fuel!!! Oh well what can you do. Ended up replacing all the injectors and been good as ever again. Good Luck!!
    02\' Charcoal Grey,CC,D/A,LB,2WD w/ 8\" CST suspension lift,37 x 12.5 BFG MUDs on 17 x 10 Weld EVO Velociti 8, \'Hot\' Juice,JL audio components and 2 10\" woofers,Line-X, Fumoto valve, Amsoil air filter, Viper 550ESP Alarm w/ Remote Start,Banks Monster Exhaust, Kennedy Headlight Harness , color matching denali door handles<br />View pics of truck at <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/riverholic\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/riverholic</a>

Default Same exact scenario here - Mine is a 2002 with 68K miles...

Monday morning I filled up the truck on the way to work. I checked the oil - it was at the full mark. Drove it home, no problems. (~20 Miles) Tuesday I drive in to work(~15 miles). Get out and noticed a solvent-like smell. Didn't pay any attention to it then. Went to lunch later in the day and came back to work (~8 miles round-trip). Noticed the same smell again as I exited the truck - again I dismissed it as something spilled at the facility. Left work for home and while driving I began smelling this same odor but stronger (The AC was on and set to pull outside air) - Now I believe it IS something eminating from the truck. Stopped to pickup my daughter at daycare...checked for leaks. Nothing apparent. Drove (~20 freeway) miles to my parents. While stopped at a red light, and noticed a rough idle. The smell is getting even stronger now. Checking guages I realize I've used nearly 1/4 tank of fuel. The oil pressure seemed a bit lower than usual.

I take care of my business with my parents and drive home (~20 miles freeway). At home I begin checking things over more closely. The truck reeks. The rough idle is now accompanied by what sounds like the occasional chirp of dry bearings. I pull the dipstick and check the oil - it was low...6qts low Walking to the rear of the truck I discover an oily film all over the tailgate and topper window. Checking under the vehicle I find the underbelly covered in a foul oil/fuel mixture. After re-filling the oil I re-start the vehicle - It still runs rough but oil pressure looks more normal. Searching all around the engine area for the source of a leak I determined that it is being spewed as a misty spray from what appears to be a metal breather tube at the front of the Duramax engine. I then decide this was worth some serious research. Through several sites, this one included I found the apparent culprit!

I called the dealership this morning where I bought the truck - Lone Star in McKinney, TX. They sent a flatbed wrecker out and stated they would cover everything under the GM warranty including all 8 injectors and the tow service. The wrecker was here in 15 minutes!!!

JT, the service tech, says I should have my truck back no later than Saturday.

I confirmed the 200,000/7yr. extension to the 100,000/5yr. warranty is ONLY for the injectors. I sure hope this event didn't do harm to the main bearings... JT tells me they have seen many instances of the fuel-in-the-crankcase - all without damage to other engine components. He attributes this to the lubricating properties of diesel fuel. I'll keep my fingers crossed! It's hard to believe.