Thread: Can new '07 go offroad

Default Can new '07 go offroad

I want to buy the '07 2500 Duramax. Is there a way to transform/order the '07 to a ride that is NOT for towing, but rather a ride that will have long suspension and say 36" tires for trail roads and still work the highways? I don't plan on doing any towing.
    My old K5 has gone thru parts and I am hoping that the 3/4 ton has strength to spare. ?

I think the extended cab, short box chassis is a good compromise of modern cab space expectations, with offroad capabilities.

As for suspension setups to accomodate large tires, I'd look to the industry leaders like http://www.camburg.com/new.html or http://www.tuffcountry.com/suspension_gm_SILVERADO.html

The Duramax/Allison combo is a heavy brute - certainly capable of hauling itself up any reasonable firm grade in 4LO, but I doubt that you are going to set any records in mud or sand with that heavy combo up front over the tires. I have had my DMaxes stuck in both hunting (mud, water) and snowbound conditions - and it doesn't take much. Getting them unstuck is interesting as well, unless you have another diesel truck or better yet a tractor handy.

For pure offroad fun, wider powerband to accomodate large diameter tires, and high winding top end for 'keeping them spinning' in low traction conditions, I'd prefer a short wheel based, overpowered gasser for OFFROADING anyday.

Don't get rid of that old K5 just yet...keep it around for a 'shotgun/mud truck' and drive your Dmax on the street.

(Ready for the arrows...let 'em fly...
    Last edited by Mark Rinker; 08-20-2006 at 09:32.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Trailboss, I saw a program on Speed channel not too long ago where Robby Gordon ran a Hummer in the Baha run, I think he won. Now thats heavy. I have to agree with Mark, the D/A combination is so heavy, you wont win any off road races with it if its muddy. I've seen a two wheel drive diesel get stuck in wet grass trying to turn around off the edge of a highway.
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.