Thread: Pitman arm removal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hmm, how strange and scary!

I was expecting a major battle with the pitman arm. Instead it popped out of the relay arm without issue, then I carefully undid the steering box and rotated it to get access to the pitman arm, undid the bolt with little more than finger pressure, and then the pitman arm just kind of fell off while I was adjusting the gear puller.

Should I be worried about the steering box?

I guess I'll not look a gift horse in the mouth and will just replace the pitman and idler and torque them down to spec.

Wow.
    ---------------------
    1998 Chevy silverado 3500 4x4, 6.5TD, 215000 miles, 4L80-E, 4.10 ratio, 6" lift, gauges and intercooler... and a newly rebuilt engine on new block and heads!

If you are trying to get the arm off the steering box??
    *** Be sure to remove the bolt from the thing and not just loosen it as the bolt goes through a groove in the shaft to keep it from falling off****

Dont be pounding on things or using heat!!
    You can if you are careful TAP (LIGHTLY) a wedge into the split to relieve the tension on the splines and it should come off fairly easy.

A pickle fork can be used on the end oposite the gear box but again be careful not to slam the box.
    These boxes are fairly tough but dont like being pounded on and do have some delicate parts inside that can be fouled up if you wail on them with a hammer.

The best puller is in order, as was mentioned thew Tiawan stuff will probably fold on you.

If this does not work for you and the arm is toast anyway the use of a cutoff wheel on a die grinder to relieve things at the back away from the split line is not a bad deal.
    Better to do that than get rough with the box.

And for Gawds sake dont get a torch in there !!!!! bad news all the way around.

**OH BTW ** when you install the new one use never seaze on the splines after you clean them well with a wire brush to get all the crud and rust out.
    Hope this helps
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

I've always known well in advance when I had to change one, and what worked well for me was to spray Aero-Kroil onto the arm & shaft every day before doing the job. Other good penetrating oils are Loosey-Goosey and PB B'laster. You know it's good, it says "As Seen On TV!" on the can!

The heavy-duty OTC Pitman arm puller works great. If it comes off very hard try tightening the heck out of the forcing screw then, using a small hammer (16oz), tap the side of the Pitman arm. Tighten the forcing screw some more and tap it again. Don't be afraid to pour the penetrating oil on, either!
    Phil

'90 Jeep Wrangler, 4.2l, AX15, Dana 30 & 35 with 3.07s (for now!) 4" Rough Country lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG KM2s

'91 F350 XLT Lariat crew cab, 2WD SRW, 7.3l IDI, ZF S5-42, 3.55 LSD.

Guess I've been lucky as my pitman arms have always slid right off with just a little bit of pry bar help. Like Robyn said, remove the bolt. I spent a good amount of time trying to remove an arm while the bolt was still in place only to realize that the bolt goes through an indent on the pitman shaft. Once I discovered my stupidity, I pulled the bolt out and the arm practically fell off. Keep trying, you'll get it.
    Mark Chapman DP member #653;
    1983 K2500 6.2 Suburban, 4" lift, 35" tires, ATS turbo, Banks exhaust/intake, pyrometer, tachometer;
    1986 K5 6.2 Blazer, 2" lift, 33" tires, Banks intake, pyrometer, tachometer
    1963 wife, one owner, average mileage for the age but in excellent shape, a keeper
    1992 daughter, low mileage, pretty, limited edition, but requires some money to maintain
    1995 son, sports model, very fast & peppy, time will tell on durability and maintenance costs

"Grease is good"

Ok, changing out tie rod ends, pitman arm, and idler arm. Going somewhat smoothly so far. Having the proper tools always helps. But to remove either the steering box or the idler box, the top bolts are hidden behind the fender panel?!? Is that right? Pulling the glow plugs on the passenger side awhile back I also seemed to be having access problems compared to other people's descriptions. I can't imagine that the body was lowered over the frame by a previous owner, but something just seems screwy here...
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Down to just removing the pitman arm. Man is that thing a bugger! Cannot get a puller in because of the brace below the steering box. Unbolted the steering box, but cannot figure out how to turn it because of the diagonal brace from the lower brace to the frame... Soaked the pitman arm down with penetrating oil last night and am going to give it another try this morning, but I think the next step is pulling the steering box completely out so that I can pull the pitman arm on the bench...
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Quote Originally Posted by trbankii
    Soaked the pitman arm down with penetrating oil last night and am going to give it another try this morning, but I think the next step is pulling the steering box completely out so that I can pull the pitman arm on the bench...
    Thats what I ened up doing. I was a lot easyer on the tail gate than under the truck. Almost fell of once out. Must have been one of those little gremlins hiding in there just to T me off!
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold