Thread: Allison upgrades for mild tune?

Default Allison upgrades for mild tune?

I have a new LBZ and love it so far. Have put the Diablo 65HP tune installed with 33" Nitto tires. Also added a 4" cat back.

Power is great and it even smoked the tires just pulling into traffic yesterday Mileage is good and I expect even better with a few more K on her.

So my real question is since I have upped the tire size and added a small tune with exhaust, what is an easy upgrade for the Allison 1000 so I don't hurt it?

Is there an easy trans kit that will allow more torque before I get the dreaded "Limp" I hear about so much? Probably more in the area of a shift kit. That I can do easy.

I would love to add a little more HP even though I tend to be pretty easy on the truck most of the time. When I want power I like power

THX

Arrow

Clint Cannon of ATS replies:

The Co-Pilot for the new 6 Speed is fantastic and very easy to install. Add the pan at the same time allows for easy service and additional fluid capacity. Here is a link to the page.
    http://www.atsdiesel.com/atswebsite/...GM/CoPilot.asp

If you need anymore info please give one of us a call.
    I've also contacted Suncoast. I'll post their reply when it arrives.

Jim

Thanks, but I wasn't looking to spend quite that much

Not trying to be cheap either mind you.

FB

The Transgo kit can be easily installed, only requires removal of the valve body and can be done by the DIY'r in just a few hours. With prices ranging in the low to mid 100.00 range, its also very affordable.

Keep in mind that the 06 is the only MY that allows install of the kit with out trans removal.

Quote Originally Posted by dmaxalliTech
    Keep in mind that the 06 is the only MY that allows install of the kit with out trans removal.
    OK, what does MY stand for (mid-Year)?
    JP
    Jeff

"But officer, I ain't Speedin', I'm just flyin' low"

2001 Silverado 3500 Dually LS Ext Cab, 6.6L Diesel, Banks Stinger Kit, 4" Exhaust, VR Straps, Bilstein shocks, 255/85/16 BFG KM2s
    2004 Suburban 2500 LT 6.0L 4x4, Bilstein Shocks, Federico front/rear sway bars
    1996 Caprice 5.7L LT1, B4U Suspension, KYB shocks & Hotchkis sway bars, BMR RCA - alas I miss ya.
    2013 Caprice PPV 6.0L

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Heartbeat Hauler
    OK, what does MY stand for (mid-Year)?
    JP
    Model Year
    (meaning the year on the title, not the actual date built)
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Ooooooh, well that makes sense...duh. I'd like to blame it on old age, but I wouldn't have figured it out 10 years ago either.....
    Thanks.
    JP
    Jeff

2001 Silverado 3500 Dually LS Ext Cab, 6.6L Diesel, Banks Stinger Kit, 4" Exhaust, VR Straps, Bilstein shocks, 255/85/16 BFG KM2s
    1996 Caprice 5.7L LT1, B4U Suspension, KYB shocks & Hotchkis sway bars, BMR RCA - alas I miss ya.
    2013 Caprice PPV 6.0L

Also keep in mind that a $100 fix doesn't really go too far and if you push it, it will catch up to you in the long run. The TQ converter clutch also needs to be addressed among other things.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Does anyone know how much more HP & Torque the stock 06 MY Allison can safely take? I'm mostly looking at a towing tune.

Thanks guys, that is more what I was thinking of. Not looking to really pump it up alot. I also plane on going to the 85 hp tune on the Diablo and getting the SS downpipe for the MBRP exhaust.

How will just a "shift kit" cost me in the long run though? Also is the stock TC that bad it really needs addressing?

Right now I don't tow but am looking for a nice 22' or so Toy Hauler.

FB

Quote Originally Posted by FBJR
    Thanks guys, that is more what I was thinking of. Not looking to really pump it up alot. I also plane on going to the 85 hp tune on the Diablo and getting the SS downpipe for the MBRP exhaust.

How will just a "shift kit" cost me in the long run though? Also is the stock TC that bad it really needs addressing?

Right now I don't tow but am looking for a nice 22' or so Toy Hauler.

FB
    I think if you are going to haul a 22' Toy-hauler with an 85hp tune that 100 dollar shift kit is probably not gonna last too long. Especially when you add in the gee whiz factor of how much fun it is to light the tires up when empty... I'm might consider a TCC upgrade as well as some clutches. You could also unload the tune, or decrease the HP to below 65hp when towing if you want some longevity. But, keep in mind I'm not just a conservative in my politics...
    JP
    Jeff

2013 Caprice PPV 6.0L