Thread: Water pump divert tube mod

Default Water pump divert tube mod

Am wondering if mod available to reduce size of opening for hose routing water from thermostat/crossover tube down to top of water pump housing is a valid one. Apparently more of the water that was going to be recycled to the heads after going through the water pump would be diverted into the radiator for better cooling. Any thoughts on the mod.

Thumbs down More flow, not less

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/waterpumpkit.html
    Reason why many of us up date our cooling systems. Better to have more flow through block. Do not take away water flow through/around block.
    95C3500.Ext.Cab 97 Cooling mods. DSG Gear-1.95 TDCO. Bilstein Shocks. Firestone Air Bags. FSD Cooler. Banks EX System. Egt,Boost & IAT Gauges. JK High Flow/pop Injectors. Turbo-Master. Max-E 2.0. Water/Alky Injection. Amsoil Dual Bypass. Baldwin filter. aFe Air filter, Air box & Turbo Mods. Power Service Product. Large Duels 235/85-16. Tool Box\'s & truck, 8200 lbs.

I think what he is asking is would it be a good idea to reduce the size of the bypass hose that runs from the water pump to the tstat housing. That is about a 1" hose. Would reducing that hose cause more coolant to flow through the radiator?
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

Quote Originally Posted by JeepSJ
    I think what he is asking is would it be a good idea to reduce the size of the bypass hose that runs from the water pump to the tstat housing. That is about a 1" hose. Would reducing that hose cause more coolant to flow through the radiator?
    Could make a note of that.Not sure. Though when Tstats are closed this tube flows around block.
    So if it was bigger would there be less flow to rad.
    Getting that time of year where Tstat are not open all the way as much.
    95C3500.Ext.Cab 97 Cooling mods. DSG Gear-1.95 TDCO. Bilstein Shocks. Firestone Air Bags. FSD Cooler. Banks EX System. Egt,Boost & IAT Gauges. JK High Flow/pop Injectors. Turbo-Master. Max-E 2.0. Water/Alky Injection. Amsoil Dual Bypass. Baldwin filter. aFe Air filter, Air box & Turbo Mods. Power Service Product. Large Duels 235/85-16. Tool Box\'s & truck, 8200 lbs.

Default Tstats

I have a question along these lines...Is there a difference in the thermostats used in the 6.5's and a regular thermostat that would be used in a gasser? They don't look different to me. What is special about a 6.5 (diesel?) thermostat?
    2003 GMC 2500 Sierra HD, 4x4, 5sp Allison Auto, Xcab, SB, posi <br />Kubota L3750 w/FEL

Arrow

Reducing the bypass tube would not be a good idea.

First of all, you won't gain any appreciable flow. Even with an 87 GPM pump, that tube isn't taking much away, and the location/position of the tube is such the flow with full open stat(s) will bypass less. It has an eductor effect.

The main reason is, your thermostats won't open as soon when things heat up. The flow is necessary to keep the engine/head coolant temp in real time at the stat(s).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

GM increased the bypass from 3/4" to 1" while testing the turbo application - musta been a good reason for that, I would think.
    jd
    '96 Dodge 3500HD cc 2wd drw............'89 GMC 3500 cc 4wd drw
    5.9 12v #10TST 6sp SBC13-1.375.......6.5TD EFI maxEtorq v2.0 DSG
    DODGE makes it CUMMINS shakes it.....4L80E 205 4.10 Dana60\70HD
    6 in a row makes it go.......................Grandpa's big truck

Quote Originally Posted by tehillah1
    I have a question along these lines...Is there a difference in the thermostats used in the 6.5's and a regular thermostat that would be used in a gasser? They don't look different to me. What is special about a 6.5 (diesel?) thermostat?
    They are low restriction or high flow stats in the 6.5. Robert Shaw design or something like that. Suppose to be better than a cheapo thermostat.
    97 5spd K2500 Ext Cab short Bed ~160K miles.
    TM, 3" downpipe & 4" exhaust, remote FSD, remote oilfilter, Gauges: EGT, Boost, Fuel Pressure, B&W Gooseneck Turnover ball, Prodigy Brake Controller. Hi-Temp Hydraulic Oil Cooler Lines.

Quote Originally Posted by tehillah1
    Your 94 single t-Stats, should look real different.
    Thinking about the single stats,when they open they are to block,restrick the hose port were talking about right? This allows full,some,or more flow to rad.