Thread: New water pump, stiff action

Default New water pump, stiff action

Bought and mounted new (GM) high output water pump. Shaft very stiff to turn initially but less so after turning by hand after ~10 turns. Still seems to have a place where shaft or impeller may be rubbing. Anyone run into similar pump action?

Before or after you mounted it to the backing plate?

i've poured coolant into the drain port to get fluid on the shaft seal...

obviously if impeller rubbing, or bearing binding, don't want to run it. If got from dealer , let them check it; haven't heard of similar complaints here.
    tom m
    '95 6.5td 4L80E 3500/srw p/u

I noticed that mine was stiff also. As soon as I got coolant into it, it got nice and smooth.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

Default Stiff water pump action

Didn't notice any stiffness before I mounted the pump to the backing plate and engine. After turning hub my hand and pouring coolent into unplugged port it turns easier can still here metal to metal rubbing. Torqued hardware to spec's from Diesel Page Overhaul book, wonder if impellar is rubbing against backing plate?

Found problem after taking pump back off. Gasket overlaps area where impeller has smallest amount clearance with housing, excess sealant used to coat gasket had glued impeller to housing at this spot. Used dry gasket for reinstall.