Thread: reduced engine power

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How is the speed limiter implemented? ECU reflash...or???
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Default the speed limiter

It's a separate device (Groeneveld) which to my understanding has been installed between the gas pedal assembly and the ECU. So when the speed gets near the limit it overrides the signal from the gas pedal and reduces the acceleration. I have to admit that the thought has crossed my mind that it could be the source of the problem but on the other hand the problem occures mostly at lower (25-45) speeds. I guess the only way to know for sure would be to unplug the limiter from the truck but I'm trying to avoid that since all the connections and wires have been sealed and of course unpluging the limiter is illegal...

I think the easiest (and the best) way to implement the limiter would have been the ECU reflash but since the limiter has to be "untamperable" (I don't know if thats even english but I hope you get the meaning) and anyone with the right programmer could easily erase the ECU speed limit the separate device is how it has to be done.
    '06 2500HD CC/SB 4X4 LBZ, Blizzard straight blade