Thread: Adding BTU to Diesel fuel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Adding BTU to Diesel fuel

Hi all,

I
    Art Paltz
    1999 Suburban K2500 6.5TD (stock)
    2000 Undercover Dragster, 468 BBC, 7.74@173MPH, waiting on new 622 aluminum BBC to be finished.
    1992 Tube Chassis Camaro, 468 BBC, 8.54@157MPH (SOLD)
    1987 Buick Grand National, 11.8@114, pump gas (for sale)
    1969 Camaro SS/RS 396-350HP, stock restoration, it never leaves the garage...

Default Try some 2-stroke oil

I've just started experimenting with low-ash (TCW-3) 2-stroke oil added to my fuel for lubricity (documented claims of lowered injector balance rates), especially with the changeover to ULSD. I noticed immediately that my truck was "peppier" and performance seemed up. I've seen almost a 2 mpg increase in performance, even on winter fuel at double-digit sub-zero temps. I'm thinking it's got to be adding BTUs and has certainly balanced out the usual winter fuel loss so far.
    Tom Ashley 2004 6.0 2500HD/Silverado CC/SB/4x4

While I can't answer the gas in the diesel question, I will say that I have seen no reduction in fuel mileage at all since we started using ULSD in October, don't know what results others have seen, but to me is a non-issue as far as mileage is concerned.

I do also add Stanadyne performance formula and 8 oz 2-stroke oil to each tank.
    1994 K1500 Silverado ext cab short box
    stock L56 6.5 TD, F intake, 4L80E, 3.73 gears
    10149599 block, D-Tech PMD on 5288 pump
    Goodyear Wrangler silent armour 265 75 R16 E Pro Grade
    Bushwacker fender flares
    410,000 km

Quote Originally Posted by Idle_Chatter
    I've just started experimenting with low-ash (TCW-3) 2-stroke oil added to my fuel for lubricity (documented claims of lowered injector balance rates), especially with the changeover to ULSD. I noticed immediately that my truck was "peppier" and performance seemed up. I've seen almost a 2 mpg increase in performance, even on winter fuel at double-digit sub-zero temps. I'm thinking it's got to be adding BTUs and has certainly balanced out the usual winter fuel loss so far.
    How much and at what ratio? I'm currently adding Standyne Lubricity. If 2-stroke is close in price I can switch to that. I know 2-stroke will certainly burn well.

Art.
    Art Paltz
    2000 Undercover Dragster, 468 BBC, 7.74@173MPH, waiting on new 622 aluminum BBC to be finished.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDiverArt
    How much and at what ratio? I'm currently adding Standyne Lubricity. If 2-stroke is close in price I can switch to that. I know 2-stroke will certainly burn well.

Art.
    I'm still adding FPPF Total Power for cloud point and lubricity. I've been adding FPPF to every drop of fuel I've ever run in this truck, and I'm really concerned about lubricity and cloud point with ULSD (untreated ULSD clouds at +10 F and we've been double-digit below at night here in Idaho). As far as the 2-cycle. It's 100:1 oil, I put a full quart into my 40 gallon in bed aux and 1/2 quart into my 26 gallon OEM tank. (Thats 32 oz/5120 oz in the aux, which is 1:160 and 16 oz in 3328 oz in the OEM, which is 1:208) I didn't want to dose too heavily with the thick oil in subzero temps, although it is snowmobile oil.
    Tom Ashley 2004 6.0 2500HD/Silverado CC/SB/4x4

Anybody understand the difference in OCTANE rating and CETANE rating?

Or that Diesel fuel has 20% more BTU content by volume than gasoline, and that winterized Diesel fuel still has more BTU content than gasoline?

Why would you want to lower the cetane rating any more by adding gasoline to winter Diesel?

Or dilute the viscosity rating any further?

It's those old wives' tales that gave Diesels such a bad rap.

And, don't get me started on Acetone.....................
    Last edited by gmctd; 01-23-2007 at 23:45.
    jd
    '96 Dodge 3500HD cc 2wd drw............'89 GMC 3500 cc 4wd drw
    5.9 12v #10TST 6sp SBC13-1.375.......6.5TD EFI maxEtorq v2.0 DSG
    DODGE makes it CUMMINS shakes it.....4L80E 205 4.10 Dana60\70HD
    6 in a row makes it go.......................Grandpa's big truck

Quote Originally Posted by gmctd
    Anybody understand the difference in OCTANE rating and CETANE rating?

Or that Diesel fuel has 20% more BTU content by volume than gasoline, and that winterized Diesel fuel still has more BTU content than gasoline?

Why would you want to lower the cetane rating any more by adding gasoline to winter Diesel?

Or dilute the viscosity rating any further?

It's those old wives' tales that gave Diesels such a bad rap.

And, don't get me started on Acetone.....................
    I honestly didn't know that Diesel has more BTU than Gasoline. That explains a lot as to why a Diesel is more efficient than a gas engine. I could never quite explain that. The only reason I thought that gas had more was because of EGT's. The EGT's are lower on my truck than in my gas car and the truck is double the weight and double the engine. My street car routinely cruises at above 500-600 degrees EGT while my truck is never that high while cruising. Both are turbo charged and intercooled.

You won
    Art Paltz

Question What about this stuff?

Anyone here tried or currently use this?

http://www.rollingbigpower.com/products/?sfID1=12

I currently use FPPF Total Power but was wondering about this additive.

Mike
    07 Silverado 2500HD LT3 D/A CC SB, Astro cap, all in Blue Granite Metallic. H2 chrome wheels with 265/70-17 Pirelli Scorpions. Autometer Boost and Pyro mounted overhead. Luverne stainless nerf bars, BedRug, PML trans pan and high cap diff cover.

03 Cardinal 31BH travel trailer weighing in at 9600# loaded and ready to go.

2 x 07 Sea Doo GTX PWC's, 3 Passenger and able to tow skier, tube, etc

02 VW Jetta GL TDI automatic, 42 MPG winter, 47 summer, 96K.

00 VW Jetta GLS TDI 5 speed, Rocket Chip 3 Euro with hi flow injectors. 48 MPG winter, 54 MPG summer. 142K.

Yep, home heating oil at least around here in eastern Canada has more sulphur now than LSD. Years ago home heating oil and Diesel came out of the same container. It does not so anymore. You also can smell that home heating oil has more sulphur content now as it stings in my nose and if you kinda feel the lubricity between two fingers its more like water as the lubrication has been removed (for all those bad folks that run home heating oil in their diesels ) I heard about mixing engine oil or ATF into the Diesel for lube. Engine oil isn't made to burn. It will coke. Tried that mix in my furnace. Never tried ATF as it is too much money for a liter. Only for the piece of mind adding lube to the ULSD (specially the winter blend) I got around and dump 1% of canola oil (salad oil) into the tank. I still use a diesel fuel conditioner on top of it, that nothing will freeze.

I've been running a qt of 2-stroke oil per 42 gal tank for the last 3 tank fulls.
    I sure haven't seen ANY improvement in MPG. Of course, it has finally gotten cold here in CT, for the past week.

It seems to feel a bit peppier at times, but..........

Considering the large dilution factor already mentioned in this thread, how many BTU's are we really adding ?

Anyone know the BTU's in a quart of 2-cycle oil, vs BTU's per qt or gallon of #2 ?
    '97 'Burb K1500 6.5td 213k miles 3.42's Amsoil air filter & 15W40. All synthetic lubes. KD 3.5" exhaust. Clean cat. 16.5 - 17 MPG combined, 18+ hwy at 70. Love her, but never know what's next. Chevy should be paying us.

ummm...I have a "friend" that ran about a 50/50 mix of heating oil diesel for a couple of tanks. He noticed TREMENDOUS increase in MPGs as well as just plain ole power. That stuff is ADDICTING!! The fuel oil had been in a tank that was pulled out of a home. Only got a couple of tanks, WOW what a difference... uh I heard about...
    Scott
    St. Louis, MO

'06 Silverado K2500 4x4 Crew Cab D/A "Big Max" AmpResearch retractable Running Boards, 4" Turbo back Kennedy Exhaust, Kennedy Custom Tune!
    '99 BMW K1200LT "Special K" my other "SUV"
    '07 Salem by Forest River Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler