Thread: Adding BTU to Diesel fuel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I have run on #2 for mos at a time usually during boating season, truck and the Cats in the boat like it very much. You just have to treat the fuel with cetane boost. I treat 275 gal with a 2 qt jug of Stanadyne Blue. Dave
    99 sub 2500, 326,000mi, 4:10, 265-75-16 rubber, remote Dtech fsd and turbo master from Heath Isspro pyrometer and boost gauge-Kennedy, 1.94 TDCO, 3" custom bent exh.
    07 Suburban,08 LMM, Allison 6 speed.

Home heating oil is basically the very same as diesel (#2 fuel oil) - there is no advantage with using home heating oil , except the possibility of enriching one's attorney, since it's illegal (no road fuel tax, and likely not a legal formulation with respect to sulfur).

Anyway, the "octane rating" is based on the performance of a motor fuels as compared to isooctane (100) versus normal heptane (0), and it's a measure of how quickly the fuel-air mixture will combust.

Cetane rating is essentially the time-delay from injection to ignition of the fuel-air mixture. Cetane-improver is unnecessary for a diesel designed to run on 40 cetane.

Adding motor oil to diesel fuel is unwise, since all the components don't burn; ashless 2-cycle oil is OK, but I use FPPF or CRC additives rather than 2-cycle oil.

Adding gasoline is also not just unwise but dangerous. The diesel-gaso mixture will now have the flash/fire point of gaso - and damage to the engine is quite possible (ever notice the prohibition against using ether to start a glow-plug equipped engine?). The gaso will also defeat the addition of lubricating additves to the diesel.
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.

Quote Originally Posted by rustyk
    Home heating oil is basically the very same as diesel (#2 fuel oil) - there is no advantage with using home heating oil , except the possibility of enriching one's attorney, since it's illegal (no road fuel tax, and likely not a legal formulation with respect to sulfur).

Anyway, the "octane rating" is based on the performance of a motor fuels as compared to isooctane (100) versus normal heptane (0), and it's a measure of how quickly the fuel-air mixture will combust.

Cetane rating is essentially the time-delay from injection to ignition of the fuel-air mixture. Cetane-improver is unnecessary for a diesel designed to run on 40 cetane.

Adding motor oil to diesel fuel is unwise, since all the components don't burn; ashless 2-cycle oil is OK, but I use FPPF or CRC additives rather than 2-cycle oil.

Adding gasoline is also not just unwise but dangerous. The diesel-gaso mixture will now have the flash/fire point of gaso - and damage to the engine is quite possible (ever notice the prohibition against using ether to start a glow-plug equipped engine?). The gaso will also defeat the addition of lubricating additves to the diesel.
    sorry...but what is FPPF and CRC? (newbie to diesel stuff)
    James

Quote Originally Posted by rustyk

It is a common mistake to confuse off road (500ppm) diesel with Home heating oil they are very different with respect to sulfer and lubricating properties Which result in a higher BTU per Gal than on and off road fuel which are identical to each other except for the red dye for tax purposes.Just take a piece of clean wood and spill an ounce of each and see which one is still there after a couple of hours. As far as supporting my attny maybe we all better put the cats back on and yank the ecm's out before the boogie man gets us
    Dave
    99 sub 2500, 326,000mi, 4:10, 265-75-16 rubber, remote Dtech fsd and turbo master from Heath Isspro pyrometer and boost gauge-Kennedy, 1.94 TDCO, 3" custom bent exh.
    07 Suburban,08 LMM, Allison 6 speed.