Thread: injectors--rebuilt? or not

Default injectors--rebuilt? or not

I can get rebuilt fuel injectors for a lot cheaper than new ones, from the Stanadyne dealer.

Question is are they worth it? I just bought a 98 GMC 2500w/6.5, I like the truck and the mileage is great but at 214,000 kms It is time for maintenance.

Thanks

Arrow

I don't have a problem with the thought of using reman injectors. I'm told all of the wear components are replaced with new parts during a rebuild. Basically, the housings are what are re-used. Any good shop should be able to tell you what parts are replaced, and give you some indication about testing - i.e. pop pressures, flow rates and spray patterns.

JIm

How much cheaper? You can get a set of marine +40 hp and the install kit for $500, which around here is cheaper than stock replacement and the install kit.
    1994.5 Z71 6.5turbo 1500 Ext cab
    Auto, 192K, 33"BFG A/T
    Extended Cab SWB, 4x4, 40hp injectors
    SOLD AS OF 6/5/07

2003 Jeep Wrangler X 4.0 {everyday rig}
    5 Speed, 2.5"lift w/ 32" BFG

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/p...0&ppuser=21521

Reman injectors from a stanadyne dealer are about $400 cdn.

I was comparing all the costs if I shipped from the States and there is less than $10 difference in my price if I bought here in my area.

I just compared prices on the glow plugs, controller, from ss diesel to what I can buy here.

dsg is about the same unless you add shipping from Saskatchewan.

Arrow

With prices so close to one another, it makes sense to buy from the vendors who support the BB forum and advertise here.

You might check injector prices at www.bd-power.com as well as www.dieselservices.com. BD is in BC. This way you won't have to be concerned about the delivery being held up in customs - or incur additional cross border fees.

Jim

If you are not in a big hurry, which for maintenance items, generally you may not be, you might want to just keep an eye on the classifieds here and other places, people often buy stuff, and sell the truck before installing, or blow the engine, etc.

I get as much stuff as I can this way, I'm real cheap, and patient, I paid 200 for brand new Delphi injectors, which included shipping...
    1994 K1500 Silverado ext cab short box
    stock L56 6.5 TD, F intake, 4L80E, 3.73 gears
    10149599 block, D-Tech PMD on 5288 pump
    Goodyear Wrangler silent armour 265 75 R16 E Pro Grade
    Bushwacker fender flares
    410,000 km

What you have to watch out for on reman injectors is the quality of the components used and the quality of workmanship. Many of my suppliers will not reman the 6.5 injectors except when we do the HF/HP units. By the time you add the cost of a quality nozzle and labor it's often more practical to go new with the std ones. If they are dirt cheap then either they are using cut rate parts, or cut rate labor...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!