Thread: Door hinge pin/bush replacement

Default Door hinge pin/bush replacement

I replaced the hinge pins and bushings on the driver's door today, took a few pictures along the way.

The door was just starting to drag on the latch.

For tools I used:
    a ball pein hammer,
    an assortment of 1/4 drive extensions as a punch,
    spring compression tool
    big screwdriver
    pair of channel lock pliers
    socket large enough to push bushing into
    rope to suspend the door from the garage door track

First I tied the door up using a rope, if you park just so, you can sort of eyeball where to put the ropes so it swings about 6 inches out out from the body once the pins are out. A tree would work fine, or a willing helper.

Then I removed the spring, the picture here shows the spring in the tool, but I actually gave up on this gadget to remove springs, it's musch easier to just pry it out with a big screwdriver.

Next hammer out the old pins. I beat them half way through, and placed a 1/4 bolt with a washer through the first hole to keep the door in the right place. Not hard to get out at all, leave the little retainer on and pop them out.

Remove the 1/4 inch bolt and carefully guide the door out from the body about 8 inches, pull the dust boot out of the cab to get extra length of wire, there's lots there. My ropes were just right.

I settled on the channel lock pliers as the best tool to remove the old bushings, just grab above and below and rotate through the hole.

The two new bushings are different sizes, make sure the large one is on the end with the head of the pin, i.e.: top of the upper hinge, and bottom of the lower. There is a wider neck on this end of the pins.

Channel lock also to press the new bushings in. I used a bolt and washer so as to not mar them, and a socket below to allow them to be pressed in full depth.

Next line the door back up on the hinges, persuade the pins in full depth, and put on the litle retainer, I used a socket to push them on. Compress the hinge with the hinge tool, and set it in place. I think this spring would be very dificult to deal with, with out the proper tool.

Last thing, off to the carwash to hose it all of and oil it up.
    1994 K1500 Silverado ext cab short box
    stock L56 6.5 TD, F intake, 4L80E, 3.73 gears
    10149599 block, D-Tech PMD on 5288 pump
    Goodyear Wrangler silent armour 265 75 R16 E Pro Grade
    Bushwacker fender flares
    410,000 km

Thumbs up Door hinge pin/bush replacement

I am starting to have the same problem with my drivers side door and was wondering what my problem was, now I know that I should replace the pin and bushings . Where did you get the spring compression tool ? T4I ( Thanks for the Information. )
    '95 GMC K2500, "Bullet"Ex. cab short.4X4, 377,000kl on truck, 177,000kl on AMG engine, auto. 3:73 Ltd. slip, FSD remote mount, OPS relay,AFE air IN, Kennedy 3 1/2" OUT . '83 F250 HD3/4 " Robert The Red Ford"4x4 460, 3:55'posi . 2005 GMC : G WHIZ" crew short box, 5.3, 4:10. , '88 Bronco II 4X4, '95 141,000kl Ford F150 EX. short box, '92 "Toy" 4 runner 273000kl ,'63 Mercury 45000miles !!!! Auto insurance co. is my mistress !!!

Hi there Artworks,

I got the spring tool at NAPA, you could probably get them just about any parts store. I have had it for a while now but think it cost less than 20 bucks.

Bob
    Bushwacker fender flares
    410,000 km

Smile

I have replaced several set of these over the years I stopped using the spring compressor I simple compress the spring in a vise then hold it compressed with couple HD tie straps. put in place with channel locks cut the tie straps done. make sure you keep fingers out of the way and your wear safety glasses, as for holding the door up if you have a engine lift they work very nice for this job.
    2003 CHEVY 4500 DURAMAX/ALLISON 14'
    SERVICE CRANE BODY 16,500 LBS 14.5 MPG
    1998 K3500 SRW CREW CAB TRANSPLANTED 6.5TD ELECTROINC INTO, HEATH COMPUTER, 40+HP INJECTORS, 4" EXHAUST, VACUUM ELEMTINATOR ON TURBO,UPGRADED COOLING WITH ALL GM PARTS,NO VACUUM PUMP, SST OIL COOLER LINES MADE LOCALY FRACTION OF THE COST, 3" TOURBO/BOOST GAUSGE ALL IN ONE, ADDED GEAR DRIVE GREAT HELP WITH STARTING TIME DOESN'T JUMP AROUND ANY MORE, INTERCOOLER 3" INLET AND OUTLET COOLER 12x24x4, ALSO ADDED MANDEL BENT CROSS OVER, HAD TRUCK REPAINTED AND OPUT ON ALUM FLAT BED

I think you should get points for most trusting use of a Garage Door Guide Rail.

Have you ever tried to pull an engine with one?

Seriously though, that was a great series of pictures. Thank-you.

-Nate

Default Lower Pin?

Bob,
    How did you remove the lower pin? I have running boards installed on my 99, and they may be in the way from seeing how to get the pin out.

It also sounds like on the upper pin you left the retainer alone, and drove the pin out right through it. I would imagine that it;s fairly thin material, and is more than willing to fail if presented with some force.

The drivers door has been saging for a couple of months, and it is getting harder to open the door from the inside.

HammerWerf
    1999 k2500 Suburban Pyro, Tranny Temp, Boost, K&N Air Filter, +3.5 qt tranny pan. 190000 miles
    1984 C20 249k miles DSG gear, SM-465, 3.73
    1983 C30 CC dualie. 308K miles on Chassis, TH400, 4-45 A/C Looking for a TurboCharger

Timely that this post should rise to the top today - my truck is about at that point as well...
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Quote Originally Posted by HammerWerf View Post
    Bob,
    How did you remove the lower pin? I have running boards installed on my 99, and they may be in the way from seeing how to get the pin out.

It also sounds like on the upper pin you left the retainer alone, and drove the pin out right through it. I would imagine that it;s fairly thin material, and is more than willing to fail if presented with some force.

The drivers door has been saging for a couple of months, and it is getting harder to open the door from the inside.

HammerWerf
    This is most likely your problem then. An easy test to open the door a crack and lift up on the back, any play up and down would indicate a good chance that your bushings are worn.

They are about 10 bucks for a set of (1) pin and bushings. The come individually (1 pin, 2 bushings and a retainer) but I think they generally recommend to change both.

The pins come out without too much persuasion, I used 1/4 inch drive socket extensions as a drift, with the female end on the top of the top pin, and the bottom of the lower. Just leave the retainers on, and tap the pins through them. I just looked at mine, and even if I had running boards up to the rocker panels, I would still have room to use a short extension and tap the lower pin out, I think quite easily.

Also I noted a dyslexic sort of error on the original message, and can't seem to find any edit button.

The pins go in from the middle of the door, so the top is driven upwards, and the bottom down. Consequently the larger end of the pin, and the larger hole in the corresponding bushing, is on the bottom of the top hinge, and the top of the lower hinge.

But just put them in the way they came out. , I suspect the contour of the door would make it impossible to install them in any other way.
    Bushwacker fender flares
    410,000 km

Default popping

I just replaced the hinge pins and bushings on my 95. With the spring compressor it's not too bad. My driver side door still pops when you close it from the full open position to the mid position. I can see the spring-loaded deal with the lobes on it popping as it moves over center. However the lobe didn't look that bad when I had it apart and the rotating collar it rides on looked ok too. Do I need to take it back off and file a bit on the lobe? Anyone else solved this problem? Thanks.
    Randy
    2006 GMC 2500HD Duramax Allison Crew

Quote Originally Posted by 78Chev View Post
    I just replaced the hinge pins and bushings on my 95. With the spring compressor it's not too bad. My driver side door still pops when you close it from the full open position to the mid position. I can see the spring-loaded deal with the lobes on it popping as it moves over center. However the lobe didn't look that bad when I had it apart and the rotating collar it rides on looked ok too. Do I need to take it back off and file a bit on the lobe? Anyone else solved this problem? Thanks.
    Randy
    Maybe just try greasing it up?

There should be a slight pop, or ponk sort of sound when the door passes the point where the lobe of the bar under tension of the spring passes the pin with the collar.

The intention of it would seem to keep the door open in a slight breeze or parked on an incline.

Is yours excessive do you think?
    Bushwacker fender flares
    410,000 km

It is more excessive than on the passenger side and more so on any of my other outfits. I greased her up to no avail. Thanks.
    2006 GMC 2500HD Duramax Allison Crew