Thread: 6.5 Girdle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I am a big fan of roller rockers. There is a lot of friction (heat, HP loss...) where those suckers ride on those shafts.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

Default RE: girdle kit

More Power,I sent you a PM with my cell number. I am interested in the girdle if I can afford it. i like his work, still brings tears to my eyes. I did make it my screen saver and my background picture. Dam I like good machine work.

Slim
    Slim

1995 Chevy 2500,4x4, 5 spd, 6.2 .040 over, 18:1 ceramic coated pistons, Ported 6.5 turbo heads,6.5 high pop injectors, Gm-8 turbo ported turbine housing, custom intercooler, gm dual thermo, 130 gph water pump, 3 to 3.5 turbo down pipe to 4 inch exhaust. Custom electronic adjustable waste gate (got the idea from the Honda guys, Thanks), custom frame mount FSD cooler.

Your message has been forwarded...

Jim

looking for a little clarification here........i'm thinking that the girdle is just extra support or strength for your crank bearings to prevent the typical cracking on the block....am i right? sorry if it sounds stupid but i just wasn't positive and was hoping for an answer

I'm also wondering if its better to have the girdle or the splayed main caps.......i'd rather not take it to the machine shop because i'm not planning on doing a full rebuild just yet.

also curious if something like the girdle is easy to install, and are they rather readily available?

if adding the girdle is a good way to ensure i don't crack my block i'm thinking i should do it while i have the engine out of my truck.

thanks in advance for any advice
    Last edited by gophergunner; 06-06-2007 at 09:17.
    2011 VW Jetta TDI, pretty well loaded without leather.
    2006 GMC Sierra D-max, 4x4, 4 door, bumper, winch, Espar heater, and the HID lights are a nice touch too.....
    1986 GMC 3500, 454 on propane, 4 speed, 4x4, crew cab dually......the welding truck
    1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup, 4.3 V6, 700R4, Toyota t-case.......transforming into 4x4 cage buggy

My instincts tell me the girdle is plenty adequate.

I had an epiphany when I was working on my build. I dropped the crank in the block and was staring at it when the cause of block failures occured to me.

When the cylinder in any engine fires around TDC the stress put on the crank is not torsional, as many people think (that happens many degrees of rotation later), but rather a bending moment. LAter in the rotation there is a combined torsiona and bending moment. These bending moments flex the crank in the main bearing supports, and tend to push the caps back and forth along the axis of the main bearing bore. This, combined with the spreading force put on the main cap block threads from the bolts and the limited thread engagement of the outer holes, is what I believe initiates cracks in this region.

A sturdy girdle (preferably much heavier than the one DSG sells, but the DSG girdle is far better than no girdle) ties the caps together, and minimizes movement in the axis parallel to the crank bore. In theory this should drastically reduce the stress on the main webs. Since the caps won't move as much the crank's bending moment will also be reduced in magnitude, and this should (again, theoretically) reduce fatigue stress in the crank. Using studs in place of main bolts to get full thread engagement and reduce the spreading force on the bolt holes is also a big help. This is how I am building my 6.2, and I think these steps will pretty much solve the block and crank issues that these motors are known for.

MP:

Any pictures of the Jesel Roller Rockers available to post?

I recall the Grape was experimenting with some Mopar Roller Rockers.

HammerWerf
    1999 k2500 Suburban Pyro, Tranny Temp, Boost, K&N Air Filter, +3.5 qt tranny pan. 190000 miles
    1984 C20 249k miles DSG gear, SM-465, 3.73
    1983 C30 CC dualie. 308K miles on Chassis, TH400, 4-45 A/C Looking for a TurboCharger

Arrow

I just wish I had Andrew's machining skills... .

Jim