Thread: Duramax coolant flow diagram?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rinker
    I have run across two or three 2005 LLY equipped units with engines replaced already under warranty.
    what was wrong with them?
    Michael 04.5 SRW LLY

custom stock intake, upsized boost tubes, Pre-turbo WMI, EFILive custom tune, Aerotech Scan Gauges.

Go Smokeless!

Don't have details from previous owners, just the service history from VIN searches. It would appear both died from prolonged towing while overheated. Turbos, pistons, etc. C4500s are rarely used as daily drivers. Always towing/hauling at higher RPMs due to lower gear ratios.

Personally, I am shopping for LB7s only. Can't take a risk on getting someone else's overheated problem. It seems like there are lots of '05 C4500s for sale, more than any other model year out there...
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Ok, this may not be your answer but I ran across this and it may help someone.
    Cold start, both t-stats closed, coolant pumps to oil filter-flywheel houseing cross over-block-heads-EGR and heater core @ 26GPM. Engines warms to 180* first stage of the primary t-stat allowing some flow to the radiator. At 185* secondary t-stat starts to open flowing more to the radiator. In here @ arond 132* the turbo starts recieveing coolant through a thermo controlled circuit by-pass. At 203* the primary stat is full open. At 212* the seconday stat is full open, all coolant is through radiator and flow is near 80 GPM. Now this is for the LLY engine. bob.............
    Bob O.
    2004 K2500 DA LLY CC LT LB Wow! Edge w/A + BS + CAT pre fuel filter, 06 air box,
    2002 C6500 EC. 7.2 Cat NoMar rollback/ 92 C7500, 7.2 Cat, 25ton No-Mar / 2005 C5500 D/A rollback / 1969 Corvette 350-350 4spd AC T-top stock orginal
    XP850LE WOW nice ATV, 09-550XP hers, 03-Predator, 04 Honda400EX, 05-Banshee, 08-KTM525, 08 KFX700, 38' enclosed GN hitch

off-topic. It is odd that the turbo cooling begins so late. I would guess that it is important that the turbo not be thermally shocked. This was a real concern in turbocharged Cessnas, there were air cooled.
    Michael 04.5 SRW LLY

custom stock intake, upsized boost tubes, Pre-turbo WMI, EFILive custom tune, Aerotech Scan Gauges.

Go Smokeless!

I do not profess to be knowledgeable in engine technology, but I would expect that running a Diesel at high hp output (towing) with a leaking headgasket would very quickly blow or melt a bigger hole through there, and start warping head or block beyond repair.

Can't imagine it'll get you very far once that starts to happen, and could leave you stranded with little warning, or lead to engine on fire.

If you know which cylinder is low on compression, and you want to squeeze a few more miles out of it, what would it cost to have a small shop install a new gasket just on the one side only?
    2005 Chev K3500 SRW Dmax Allison Ext Long Box