Thread: Anybody own a 2 or 3 car hauler?

ogrice Guest

Question

I'm planning to buy at least a two car hauler this year. Are there any 6.5 owners that can share to me their experiences with operating a 2 or 3 car hauler.?

Any specifics like total rig weight, loaded peformance, brake setup, things to look for if I should buy second hand, what setup you had on your truck(stock or had mods installed), or any other info will be appreciated.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm going into the car selling business on the side.
    Any members out there who are already in the car selling business part time or full time.?

markrinker Guest

Never owned one. However, I know that car haulers can be good money-makers - but they are also DOT magnets. There are so many fly-by-night operators running interstate without credentials. Plan on getting pulled over and checked regularly. Playing by the rules and stay right side up, you'll do well.

A friend that has two told me the hardest thing on the trailers themselves is running fast and empty on bad roads. Tears them apart.

I have had a Minnesota wholesale license in the past. Got it to buy and sell pre-owned Harleys, classics and work trucks when the used market was much stronger, like summers of 2000-2002.

Let it go due to high cost of bond and 'garage liability' insurance coverage required by the state for all 'dealers', regardless if you have a physical lot with 500 cars, or work from a home office and garage a couple Harleys like I did. Thought about taking the plunge and leasing a space for my retail tag, but decided against it.

Like any retail enterprise, its all in the buy. Dealers selling new from MSO have the upper hand because they get all the trade-ins, and that is where the money is made.

If you plan on buying at the auto auctions and selling with any margin to speak of, you best have a GREAT location a LONG ways from any competition...or be a damn good salesman! [img]smile.gif[/img]

ogrice Guest

I'm sure going to keep what you wrote me in mind. By the way, how long did you buy and sell before you got your wholesale license.?

I have some classics up in Wa state ready for export to be sold in LA. If i can keep my volume<10 cars per year By CA state laws i do not need a wholesale license. If I'm to >10 cars per year then I'm going to need the license. I did mention that I was going to do this on the side. You know what I mean by,"on the side."

markrinker Guest

Email me anytime we can take this topic offline.

mark_rinker@hotmail.com