Thread: Duramax Diesel Conversions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb 2WD Transmission Crossmember Details

Recently, I've received a couple of requests for more information concerning a Duramax/Allison conversion in the 1990s 2 Wheel Drive (GMT400) body style trucks, asking whether the motor/engine mounts we offer would work. The answer is YES, but the transmission mount crossmember would need to be modified. Member Gordon Marks kindly sent me a couple images of his modified transmission crossmember, which explain how he accomplished his installation. Thanks Gordon!

Note: The factory 4WD GMT-400 (1990s) transmission crossmember works perfectly without modification in 4WD trucks. It appears the 2wd TRUCKS/SUVs have a somewhat different frame rail dimension when compared to the 4WD models. Mock-up the installation before committing to welding on the added material. You may find you need to adjust the height up/down a little to get ~ 3/4" clearance between the rear of the transmission and the transmission tunnel.

You can see from these photos that Gordon flipped the modified 2WD crossmember upside down and mounted it below the frame rails. Be sure to use lock-washers and thread locking compound just to be sure. Jim

Thumbs up

I received this message and photo from Patrick yesterday. You can expect to see his truck on the road somewhere in Massachusetts before long!

Jim

Subject: The Diesel Page - Duramax Conversion Mounts
    Date: Mon, 24 May 2021
    To: The Diesel Page
    Jim,

The mounts arrived today and I was impressed with the quality of the parts. After work I bolted them up and, while an involved process, I got the drivetrain in. The mounts were worth every penny.

Patrick

2000 K2500, CrewCab Shortbox