Thread: Duramax Diesel Conversions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 98 K3500 6.5 to LB7 swap help

Hello everyone
    I'm currently building a truck it's a 1998 Chevrolet K3500 crew cab dually, it has the 6.5/4l80e combo which is ready to pull. I'm going with a 03 LB7 and allison trans. I currently have the harness getting reworked by Ken Wolkens for a stand alone and have the ECM and TCM already reflashed. Now the questions I have is what is all needed to integrate the LB7 to work with the GMT400 platform? I was told the starter relay will not work along with the gauges, what is all reguired to get the HVAC system working with the 98 hvac and the lb7? and what other problems will I have to figure out? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheCanadianGoose View Post
    Hello everyone
    I'm currently building a truck it's a 1998 Chevrolet K3500 crew cab dually, it has the 6.5/4l80e combo which is ready to pull. I'm going with a 03 LB7 and allison trans. I currently have the harness getting reworked by Ken Wolkens for a stand alone and have the ECM and TCM already reflashed. Now the questions I have is what is all needed to integrate the LB7 to work with the GMT400 platform? I was told the starter relay will not work along with the gauges, what is all reguired to get the HVAC system working with the 98 hvac and the lb7? and what other problems will I have to figure out? thanks

Many questions....

First, there's no need to have the Duramax underhood/in-cab harnesses reworked. With the exception of splicing in the HVAC controller/package wiring into the Duramax in-cab harness, the rest of the original in-cab/underhood electrical will be stripped out and replaced with the Duramax harnesses, fuse panels and electrical centers. This actually makes it all a lot easier. Trying to jury-rig an old/new composite electrical system adds so much complication to the conversion that it discourages most who attempt it.

The ideal is to create an electrical system that looks and functions like the factory Duramax system. The truck will be worth more at the end and it'll be easier to troubleshoot if a problem does appear.

Here's a story about a 1998 Chevy LBZ conversion that used our motor mounts and Conversion Guide

This Thread has answers for some of your questions.

Our Duramax Conversion Guide has answers for most questions.
    Last edited by More Power; 02-10-2022 at 14:24.

Thumbs up

I received this message and photo from Patrick yesterday. You can expect to see his truck on the road somewhere in Massachusetts before long!

Jim

Subject: The Diesel Page - Duramax Conversion Mounts
    Date: Mon, 24 May 2021
    To: The Diesel Page
    Jim,

The mounts arrived today and I was impressed with the quality of the parts. After work I bolted them up and, while an involved process, I got the drivetrain in. The mounts were worth every penny.

Patrick

2000 K2500, CrewCab Shortbox

This above message was posted in may of 2021... just about 2 years ago. I received an update from Patrick a few days ago, along with an order for another set of our conversion mounts. I like his truck's new hood! Here's what Patrick said recently:

These mounts are actually the second set I’ve purchased.

A couple years ago I bought a set to put an LB7 in a 2000 K2500. I chose not to body lift it and instead made a HD hood. Attached is a photo of that truck.

I’ll keep you updated on this trucks swap.