Thread: Duramax Diesel Conversions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb 1984 Chevy C70 Duramax Conversion

I received this email this morning, asking about an '80s square body conversion. Thought the discussion might be of value here.

On 2021-04-15:
    > I am considering doing a Duramax/Allison swap in my 1984 chev c70
    > rollback it currently has a 427 5 speed,
    >
    > In has a cable driven speedometer I wondering what you have done to
    > correct that ?
    >
    > Also does the Allison have the required hardware internally to drive a
    > PTO , I know it has a cover plate but what about the internal gear
    > required to drive the PTO
    >
    > If I do proceed with this project I will be purchasing you guide. Do
    > you need to buy a wiring harness to make the conversion or does the
    > guide show you how to modify the existing harness.
    >
    > Thanks In Advance
    >
    > Larry
    >
    >

Hi Larry,

I recommend you modify the dash of your 1984 truck to accept the new instrument panel. This will solve the speedometer problem and you'll gain a lot of functionality with the new powertrain. I also recommend you install the steering column that matches your engine package. This'll make it easier to shift the Allison, and it'll add a lot of functionality as well.

I know the early Allisons were setup to run a Power Take-Off, but I know the PTO was dropped a few years into production... before re-adding PTO in more recent models. So, to answer you, I don't know. I guess it sort of depends on model year, but I don't have a model year breakdown for the PTO.

For wiring harnesses, I recommend using the OE harness that matches/came with your engine package. New, these factory harnesses are about $600/ea (one for the engine and one for the Allison). One of the more expensive options is to acquire an aftermarket stripped-down harness that was designed for boats/RVs/basic conversions, but they require a specially programmed ECM/TCM and you'll lose most/all of the luxury features that came with GM's 2500/3500 trucks. Contact ppepower.com or bankspower.com for more info about their harnesses and ECM/TCM. Just remember that using an OE harness doesn't force you to use the extra features - you can pick and choose. The Conversion Guide we offer shows you how to install the OE harnesses, which is the least expensive option - no cost if it came with your engine/trans.

In the meantime, I'd suggest you spend some time with the following article that shows a 1987 Chevy C30 conversion...

https://www.thedieselpage.com/featur...Conversion.htm

Good luck,

Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 05-17-2021 at 07:51. Reason: add stuff