Thread: Cummins in 96 4x4 Chevy w/out lift kit???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Burning Oil is offline http://www.lubedealer.com/pmdcable/home.aspx

Default Cummins in 96 4x4 Chevy w/out lift kit???

Hi, I am in the process of installing a 6bt Cummins in a 96 Chevy 4 wheel drive. I do not want any lift on the truck and because of that I am having clearence issues with the front IFS differential. The oil pan will hit the diff, but it still needs to go two more inches to the driver side. Anyone have the answer?
    Thanks
    Leroy
    1993 4x4 1ton 6.5/4l80e runs on WVO.
    1996 1ton 2wd crew cab 6.5/4l80e with db2 IP.
    1996 1ton 4x4 crew cab dually with Cummins diesel
    1970 Chevy 4x4 big block 4 speed.
    1972 Chevelle convertible with 540 CID engine.

We sell pmd extension cables and the Flight systems PMD or the new Stanadyne PMD with available 7 year warranty.
    Turbo Boost Bolts, engine oil cooler kits and lots of 6.5 turbo diesel parts. Check out the web site

www.pmdcable.com

Arrow

I've not seen the problem, but it would appear there are at least three solutions. Move the engine, modify the oil pan or modify the truck - or possibly some combination.

Jim

Default Consider

Raise engine and use a hood that has cold air scoop w/intake at base of windshield for clearence.........
    99 GMC SUB, 2500, 4x4, 6.5 TD (F) #H32 enhanced blk, Phaser timing set, B&D IC, 3" ATS exh, K&N w/prefilter, 4WD NVG 246, 4L80E kevlar Transgo off road/tow mods/B&M supercooler, 14 FF MagTec w/locker 3.42:1, 9.25" IFS frt/diff 3.42:1 w/ARB locker, AutoMeter Boost & pre-turbo pyro meter, 12,000 lb hydro winch, Warn classic bumper w/brushguard & diesel scoop, Max E-torq Stage 3, hi pop inj, oil bypass sys, on board air comp for front ARB locker & tire inflation, DynaView driving/auto-cornering lts, DZ nerfs, A/T 285/75/16 SilentArmor 3750 lb rated on 3750 lb rated Alcoa, 3 IP drivers 2 r spares.

I did take the pan off and am planing on modifiying it to work. I just was not sure if a easier way was possibile. I am even thinking of using a flat pan and running a dry sump system.
    Anyone know of a flat pan for the 12Valve engines. (like the 4bt's have) otherwise I wil just mod mine.

I would have to raise the engine to much even with a cowl hood. I would run into trans (4L80E) to tunnel problems then also.

I would love to hear from anyone that has done this before.
    Thanks

We sell pmd extension cables and the Flight systems PMD or the new Stanadyne PMD with available 7 year warranty.
    Turbo Boost Bolts, engine oil cooler kits and lots of 6.5 turbo diesel parts. Check out the web site

www.pmdcable.com

Arrow

If it's any reassurance, I really like the dry sump idea. It opens up many options.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default Update

Well I have modified the pan and the engine sit where it should now. If anyone wants pictures I can email them.
    I am using the cummins 1993 style engine mounts also. I made a plate that bolts to the original chevy frame mounting then just drilled a hole in that for the stud of the cummins mount.
    Im still basicaly in the mock up mode, but will try to fire it up by this weekend. Still got a long way to go.
    Also, just FYI in playing around with the oil pan I noticed it can be fliped 180 degrees so the sump is in front. It will line up and bolt up perfectly. That might help someone with clearence issues.

www.pmdcable.com